Posted On May 27, 2009 by Print This Post

AMM: A Male Author Writing Under A Female Pseudonym

Welcome to Anatomy of the Male Mind! Today, erotica author, Lisette Kristensen, joins us to talk about how he, er, she manages her alter ego! lisette-kristensenLisette’s debut short story, Surprise Party, arrives on the e-circuit this fall. Be sure to check it out. Lisette has kindly agreed to stop in throughout the day to answer many of your questions.

Without further ado, here’s Lisette.

Tracey:  Tell us a little about the genre you write. What drew you to it?

Lisette:  I write Erotica, with a BDSM slant.  I like the fact I don’t have to worry about HEA (Happily Ever After). The plot lines are infinite and to explore all ranges of sexual preferences is exciting. What drew me to it? It is easy for me to get into it, from an emotional and sexual context. It also allows women to explore an area of fantasy they might not want to admit or have not tapped into.

Tracey:  Our readers might find it interesting to know that you’re a male writing under a female pseudonym. What challenges have you faced with such an arrangement, if any?

Lisette:  None really. Just important to keep myself anonymous, and let Lisette be in front of the readers.

Tracey:  Are you more comfortable writing the female POV or male POV?

Lisette:  Either one is fine. In certain sex scenes it can be difficult, so when I outline, I have to think what I want the sex scene to look and feel like, then will determine the POV.

Tracey:  Tell us about your debut short story.

Lisette:  About a woman, who, after losing what she thought was the love of her life, goes to a party with her best friend. This party is not what she expected, and during the events she reawakens her sexual past.  However, it does not end there, she also discovers new sexual pleasures that send her over the edge of sexual bliss.

Tracey:  Lisette, since you’re blogging on Anatomy of the Male Mind day, and you’re a male hidden behind a female avatar, we have a few questions to ask your alter ego. Here goes…

Tracey:  What first attracts you to a woman?

Lisette’s Alter Ego:  Physical:  Eyes and smile. Truly believe they are the windows to the soul. Intellectual: Variety of interest, like to explore and be adventurous in conversation. Strong opinions and doesn’t back down. Emotional: Secure in who she is. Not needy but still wants a man to take care of her.

Tracey:  What’s a major turn-off for you?

Lisette’s Alter Ego:  Feminist angst. Bitterness about life. Take themselves too seriously.

Tracey:  How would you describe a romance novel? Have you ever read one?

Lisette’s Alter Ego:  Yes, I have read them, many in fact, in various genres.  They are books that bring two people together under trying circumstances, have to conquer their individual conflicts, defeat the Black Moment and enjoy the HEA. Am a true romantic at heart.

Tracey:  When reading a novel, any novel, do you enjoy reading a love scene? If no love scene, do you wish for one?

Lisette’s Alter Ego:  Yes, I do enjoy reading the loves scenes. You can learn a lot from a various writers not just from a writer’s perspective but as a man. Never too old to learn new things. I really don’t think about it, if it works without it fine. I like Tess Gerritsen, and you rarely see sex in her books, implied and mentioned effects of sex but not the actual deed.

Tracey:  Do you have a philosophy on how to keep your wife happy?

Lisette’s Alter Ego:  Focus on her, it’s not intuitive for a man. Listen, don’t try to fix everything. Be imaginative in the bedroom. Be a gentleman and have an element of style, with a splash of mystery and humor.  Its simple–be James Bond. I have never met a woman yet that did not love James Bond, regardless of who played the role. I’m a throwback to the 1950’s, and strongly believe women are to be respected and cherished.

Thank you for joining us today, Lisette!

Surprise Party, Fall 2009

Surprise Party, Fall 2009

Lisette Kristensen is an aspiring writer of erotica and romantica. Through her writing, she attempts to explore all elements of erotica. It is her desire to show how the various fetishes and kinks can expand and deepen relationships, that would be presumably labeled vanilla. For she believes we all have a bit of kink in us, just waiting to bubble to the surface.

Please join Kelsey on Friday to learn what Loucinda McGary has to say about Writing the Pitch!

Male Perspective

12 Responses to “AMM: A Male Author Writing Under A Female Pseudonym”

1. What is this obsession I keep coming across relating to woman’s literature followers wanting to point at male authors. I would have thought an author worth their salt would read as, and for, the characters of the novel.

Why don’t we seek out people who have experienced a medical procedure, ask them to show their scar; we could all decide if it’s the work of a male or female doctor. — I hope that sounds absurd.

My formula; a good Author will come off the page as genderless, creative, captivating and full of fiction (we won’t notice the latter).

There, I’ve had my say. —- Thank you Lisette and Tracey — for an interesting blog.

I have a question. Why is it that male author’s involved in woman’s fiction always seem to hide behind a girlie name? Who does this to us? —— Eric

Posted by Eric | May 27, 2009, 4:28 am
  2. Lisette, welcome to RU! Tell us, have you always had the “bug” to write or is this a newly acquired passion?

Thanks again for joining us! Have fun.

Posted by TraceyDevlyn | May 27, 2009, 5:07 am
  3. Good morning, Lisette!

A couple of questions for you: Based on Eric’s question above, do you think women are more likely to pick up erotica written by a “woman” than a man, believing the story would run more to their liking because of the author’s gender?

Do you hope to cultivate a readership of both genders? And if so, how do you appeal to both?

Again – thank you for being with us at RU today!

Posted by KelseyBrowning | May 27, 2009, 6:34 am
  4. Hi, Lisette,

A question about voice. Not the author’s, but the male and female characters. Do you consciously try to make the women sound differently than the men? For example, one “rule of thumb” is that women talk more, use more and different words, describe things in greater detail. Where as men don’t.

Would an educated woman sound different from an educated man, especially when both are used to using words in their professions?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Ann

Posted by Ann Macela | May 27, 2009, 7:23 am
  5. Hi, Lisette. Thank you for being with us today. I’m already enjoying all the comments and it’s still early!

Posted by Adrienne Giordano | May 27, 2009, 8:56 am
  6. First of, thank you, Tracey and Adrienne for having me here today. I’m going to answer the first set of questions in this post, and will be back later to respond further to those and future questions.

Eric: Good points and agree with you. To your question regarding why hide behind a woman’s name? When I first started writing romance it was focused to the more mainstream romance novel. What I discovered is that the industry (including publishers, writing groups, critique groups) in general ignored men. A reverse of the good ole boys club, in the romance arena it’s a good ole ladies club. I also, think women don’t believe men get romance so we are dismissed easily. Now these are general statements but it has been my experience. I will say the RWA chapter that I belong to, the women have been wonderful to me and supportive. Since I moved to the more explict genre of romance writing you do see more men using their names. I started with Lisette and decided to stick with it, also I’m very private about my personal life, so it works for me in that aspect as well.

Kelsey: In erotica, I don’t believe it matters which gender wrote it. I have read both and have liked both views. The thing about erotica, is that there are so many veins of it, it has it’s own unique following. To Eric’s point, if the plot is good, characters come to life, I usually forget the authors gender. Yes, I do hope to cultivate both genders as readers. My approach is to make both the hero/heroine have an equal desire to explore their deepest passions while falling in love. The goal is to have a man or a woman reader say to themselves, this is hot and I could do this in my own life. Did I answer clearly enough?

Ann: Yes, I do try to have the man and woman sound differently. In fact, I use to female beta readers for just this purpose. They do not critique the work but read it from a female view to make sure I don’t make them sound the same. I also role play out the scenes in my study, as if it was a stage play. Two more comments on this. I read alot of romance novels of all genres, so I have become a student of how woman talk, react and relate. Also, Kristin Daniels, critiques my work for dialogue and plausability from a female pov. Bottom line, it is a constant work in process.

Tracey: I have always been an avid reader, and wanted to write for a long time. What stopped me were two things, one I was intimidated that I was not creative enough. Secondly, since I played football in high school and college, my english classes were taken in the summer and taught by the football coach(s). My entire english education was game films! So those two things stopped me cold. Then I read an article, and can’t remember which one, and it taked about fiction writing had little to do with creative writing but was a craft that can be learned. Now some are more talented than others, but if you apply yourself and learn it you can become a good writer. So I jumped in and have not looked back. The english side of it, well slowly but surely, and thanks again to Kristin Daniels for being my grammar tutor.

Posted by Lisette Kristensen | May 27, 2009, 9:49 am
  7. John, thanks for stopping by RU. I wish you many sales on your debut short story this fall.

Posted by Tracey Devlyn | May 27, 2009, 8:41 pm
  8. Lisette,

I have to say I love the name. I think it’s very creative and could prove to be a very wise choice. Some women will consider erotica by a female writer that they would not read by a male. (Sorry Eric)

I also wanted to congratulate you on the sale of your first short story. Here’s to many more.

Dyanne

Posted by Dyanne Davis | May 28, 2009, 9:18 am
  9. Lisette, Thank you —– Eric

Posted by Eric | May 28, 2009, 3:54 pm
  10. my 16 yr old son has done some writeing on line under a female name. does this make him transgender

Posted by sam | February 19, 2014, 4:37 am

1. […] http://romanceuniversity.org/2009/05/27/amm-a-male-author-writing-under-a-female-pseudonym/ Lisette Kristensen is one such author, a man writing under a female pen name. There are many in varying degrees of being outed as such. Some writers on both sides of the switch, prefer to keep their gender identity unknown. […]

Eden Glenn, Author - February 17, 2014
  2. […] written for reasons other than to get money, fame or notoriety. Under a pseudonym, in fact under a female persona, I am able to explore a topic that might not otherwise have occurred to me (funny how changing the […]