Posted On July 7, 2010 by Print This Post

Love Bites! A Young Adult’s Perspective on the Twilight Craze

Good morning and welcome to Anatomy of the Male Mind! I’m excited to introduce you to Sarah C., a young adult reader and fan of the Twilight series. As an avid reader of the genre, Sarah’s consumed hundreds of YA books in her score of years, especially the paranormal sub-genre. Today, Sarah’s going to give us the scoop on why masses of young readers (and not so young) are “crazy” for the Twilight Saga. Specifically, obsessed over Edward and Jacob. It is guy-day, after all.

Sarah will stop by later this afternoon to answer your questions.

The class is yours, Sarah!

Many adults have been hearing about the crazy obsession that seems to have consumed the teenage/young adult world; the Twilight Saga. T-shirts, posters, buttons, mugs, bumper stickers…in a “gimmie-more,” capitalistic society the Twilight series has whipped up a frenzy that is as intoxicating as it is profitable. Most adults are questioning why their children, grandchildren, nieces, etc…, have become so fixated with this series. Having been fifteen when the first book was released, I have a pretty good hold on why the masses are becoming so consumed with everything Twilight. Atfifteen, with hormones raging and such a limited scope of what the “real world” is like, teenage girls’ thoughts are overrun by boys, dating, and love. So when a book comes out that has somehow successfully married all of these ideas and then proceeds to add a hot werewolf and a sexy vampire into the mix, you can bet money that it’s going to be the next BIG thing. On the surface, you might be wondering what is so appealing about a dead guy who sucks blood and a feverish wolf boy with a bad temper.

Let’s go Team Edward for a moment. Edward is a 17 year old boy who has been the same age since 1918. His life began in a time where women were meant to be treasured and cared for. Consider how well he would treat you, being from the early 1900s and having completely different standards and morals than say a 17 year old boy born in 1990. In 1918, a man wooed a woman, courted her, and showered her with affection and gifts. Fast forward to 2010 and I can barely get my boyfriend to remember to put the toilet seat down. Despite the way relationships function now-a-days, the idea of a chivalrous gentleman who will open doors, write you musical lullabies and save you from danger still makes women’s hearts go pitter patter. Perhaps the most romantic thing Edward has going for him is that while he has spent the past 100 years of existence as a vampire, never before has he found anyone he wanted to be with for eternity until he met Bella. Furthermore, he is willing to risk the torture of his insatiable desire for her blood – he goes against his very nature, his own carnal instinct, to continue to love her. What teenage girl wouldn’t want to be “the one”?

Team Jacob is not to be out done though. His most appealing quality is that of his happy and outgoing personality. He has fun with life–enjoys every second of every day, because he has a sense of aging. Another of Jacob’s most valuable traits is that although he turns into a wolf sometimes, he’s also human. He is a living, breathing, being. He can relate to Bella on being a confused growing teenager because he’s actually getting older. Although Jacob is only 16 and hasn’t been around for 100 years, his maturity level is sky high. He knows he wants Bella and loves her so he’s going to do everything he can to be with her. Even if that means being there for her while she’s pining over another guy. In the series, Bella and Jacob develop a very strong bond and become the best of friends. In our real life relationships we all look for a lover and a best friend in one, which is why so many people think that Jacob is the right choice for Bella. He, like Edward, is willing to do whatever it takes to keep Bella safe from harm. With his inhuman strength and speed, protecting her comes easy to him. Bella means the world to him and he won’t let anything or anyone get in the way of his love for her.

The battle of who is better for Bella will continue until the Twilight hype decreases, so Team Edward and Team Jacob are here to stay. The fans of both the novels and movies have their own opinions about who is better than who but the main points are clear on both sides. If you appreciate a cultured, world traveler, who shimmers in the sun, Edward is your man. If you long for strolls under the full moon, puppy dog eyes, and a warm, kind-hearted heart throb, Jacob is your man.

If you’re smart, like Bella, you’ll let both of these men fight over you!

* * *

Thanks, Sarah!!

RU Crew, which are you–Team Jacob or Team Edward? Inquiring minds want to know. Well, I do ’cause I’m just nosey, er, inquisitive that way. :)

Curious about paranormal? Wondering what it takes to succeed as a writer in this ever-popular sub-genre? Then stop by on Friday to hear what authors Angie Fox and Erin Kellison and Dorchester’s editorial director Leah Hultenschmidt have to say!

Male Perspective

25 Responses to “Love Bites! A Young Adult’s Perspective on the Twilight Craze”

1. Hi Sarah,

Thank you for visiting with us today and sharing your view on Twilight. During the release of the second movie, I heard a lot of hubbub about Twilight Moms. It’s a group of adult women and moms who are BIG fans of the movie–particularly the guys. :) I think they even have a website.

Did you see any Twilight Moms at Eclipse’s opening weekend?

Thanks again.

Posted by TraceyDevlyn | July 7, 2010, 5:23 am
    • Tracey-
      I believe there were only a few Twilight Moms at the showing I went to but I don’t doubt they were out in full force at other showings and theaters. The theater was however, jam packed full of squeeling teenage girls… and their boyfriends. I was completely surprised by the amount of men who showed up, or were dragged along, but they seemed to also be enjoying the movie. I’m still trying to figure out what would be appealing about the series to a male mind.

Posted by Sarah C. | July 7, 2010, 4:13 pm
  2. Sarah,
    First, thanks for sharing this with us. I was Twilight obsessed (read the entire series 4 times in one week…lost some weight and sleep, too), and *cough*30*cough* when I read them.

You’ve hit the nail on the head in terms of why I loved Edward. He may look 17, but he’s got an old soul-literally-which makes him appeal more to me. I write historical romance stories for that same reason–I have a difficult time writing romance in contemporary times because the guys just aren’t the same. *sigh*.

Excellent post!

Posted by Noelle Pierce | July 7, 2010, 8:03 am
    • seriously? Four times in one week? I”m impressed. Wowsers. I bet you did lose sleep, those books are HUGE!

Posted by Carrie Spencer | July 7, 2010, 8:25 am
      • To be fair, I didn’t care for my emotional response to book 2, so I only read the last half of that one (hmm…maybe because I’m firmly Team Edward?). But yeah, not much eating, not much sleep, and even my husband finally threatened to take them away if I didn’t stop bringing them in the car, just to read on the way to the convenience store down the street. I’ve avoided the movies, in case it triggers a relapse.

Posted by Noelle Pierce | July 7, 2010, 5:22 pm
    • Noelle-
      I think you’ve stumbled across a new diet!!!!! Unfortunately, I don’t think it would meet the FDA’s approval, but the “Twilight diet” does have a certain ring to it. In response to your disappointment with today’s men, I have to admit that if I had a chance to date someone from the early 1900’s I would definitely do it! My boyfriend is more into his car and other motorized vehicles than he is being romantic… what a pity. I’m certainly hoping chivalry makes a come back- and soon!

Posted by Sarah C. | July 7, 2010, 4:21 pm
      • I think Jennifer nailed this one – chivalry will probably not come back because there are women who put up with unchivalrous (did I just make that word up? Probably. I do it all the time.) men. My manuscripts are Regency, so I’m used to reading about the more chivalrous times, though there were still plenty of jerks then, too.

Posted by Noelle Pierce | July 7, 2010, 5:27 pm
        • Hi Noelle,

I write Regency too. The men make the period. How can you not adore a guy who’s raised to treasure the women in his life? My husband’s mother raised him the same way. Of course, he’s a lot less formal than they were (I’ll spare you the details), but no less considerate. :)

Posted by TraceyDevlyn | July 7, 2010, 7:33 pm
  3. Morning Sarah!

Great post and I think you’ve captured both sides extremely well. I’m a waffler. Go Team Edward! some days, and Go Team Jacob! other days. Ok, sometimes in the same day…lol….

Either way, it’s a great series of books, and you did a wonderful job covering the men in them!

Posted by Carrie Spencer | July 7, 2010, 8:24 am
    • Carrie! I can totally agree with you here. I think the “Twihards” are calling this Team Edcob… If I could just mold them both together, and have the best of both worlds, I’d be in heaven!

Posted by Sarah C. | July 7, 2010, 4:23 pm
  4. Hi Sarah and thank you for being here. I love the way you’ve summarized Edward and Jacob.

I have to say, I’m a Jacob kind of girl.

Posted by Adrienne Giordano | July 7, 2010, 8:37 am
    • Adrienne-
      Jacob is a great choice! I think if I really had to choose one or the other, I would choose him. I feel like Jacob is more of a sensible choice, seeing as how he won’t live forever. Plus, being with Edward and always being pale…. no thanks!!!!!!!!

Posted by Sarah C. | July 7, 2010, 4:28 pm
  5. Sarah,

Thank you for sharing the Twilight Saga today.

I have been thinking of watching the movie and now I am convinced that it would be rather fun to see. I like the idea of both guys and the contrast of the two would be wonderful to watch.

Holly

Posted by Holly | July 7, 2010, 4:40 pm
    • Holly- I definitely recommend watching the movies, and possibly even reading the books too, if you really enjoy it. The third movie is the best so far, in my opinion, a lot more action and the acting seems to have improved with each movie!

Posted by Sarah C. | July 7, 2010, 5:04 pm
  6. Hi Sarah!
    I’ve never read any of the Twilight books or seen the movies, but your “Cliff Notes” nutshell of the male leads intrigued me. Now I know why my husband’s teenaged niece was so excited about attending the midnight showing of the last film!

You made a valid point about chivalry too. I believe men get away with less than gentlemanly behavior because there’s always a woman out there willing to put up with it. We live in a world of constant media influence so let’s hope Jacob and Edward’s chivalrous honor rub off on some of these guys!

I’d say I’m more of an Edward kind of girl…even if it results in the sacrifice of a few pints of blood. :)

Cheers!
    Jen :twisted:

Posted by Jennifer | July 7, 2010, 4:42 pm
    • Jennifer,
      Edward is great, and what’s the harm of losing some blood if you get to stay young and pretty for the rest of your life right?! Hahaha :grin:

Posted by Sarah C. | July 7, 2010, 5:07 pm
      • Stay seventeen…hmm…I’m conflicted. At least I had my driver’s license already and I was a size six…LOL! Not sure if I could deal with all of the teenaged angst though. Do you know Janis Ian’s song, “At Seventeen”? Check out the lyrics….

Posted by Jennifer | July 7, 2010, 5:17 pm
  7. Hi Sarah,
    Sorry to butt in, but; your thoughts, articulated very well by the way, caught my male interest. I didn’t read the books but I did see the first two movies in the series and from a man’s perspective, I would have thought Edward’s personality a little too self-absorbed to be so popular with women. What’s up with that? It was as though Edward was at a pity-me party and totally discounted Bella’s feelings and left her to defend for herself. How is it, that for some women, he is still a heart-throb?

Jack Russell

Posted by Jack Russell | July 7, 2010, 4:56 pm
    • Jack Russel-
      I believe the interest in Edward, for most women, stems from the fact that in his 100+ years of existence he has accumulated so much knowledge and understanding of other people. He knows things that most people don’t understand in thier lifetimes (granted their lives are much shorter because they can die from old age). Edward loves Bella and it shows in his actions… except for the tiny little detail of his leaving her for an entire book/movie. I think women justify this incident by realizing that he was struggling with loving her and being afraid of hurting her or not being able to protect her. I don’t think Edward left to be mean or because he wasn’t in love with her, I just think he thought it was the only way to keep her safe, so he left even though it was terribly heartbreaking for the both of them. While it was hard for Bella to be left, it probably wasn’t easy for Edward to leave, and it also went against his instincts to be there and protect her. So maybe he should have chosen a different way to make sure she was safe, but his intentions were honorable.

Posted by Sarah C. | July 7, 2010, 5:14 pm
  8. Sarah and All–

Thank you for “talking Twilight” with us today. Such a fun discussion!

Go Team Edcob!

Posted by TraceyDevlyn | July 7, 2010, 7:38 pm
  9. Hi Sarah, Thanks for the quick run down on Twilight. You hit on precisely why so many women, of all ages, adore Twilight.

I’m 31 myself and I picked up Twilight two years ago and devoured it whole. The other three I read more slowly and I will admit, I skimmed the last half of Breaking Dawn. I hated the ending. No epic vampire battle, are you kidding me? Bah!

Anyway, I myself am Team Jacob and the main reason for this is because while Edward is very protective and romantic, he’s also controlling and domineering. I don’t want a man to run my life, I want him to share it and telling me that I can’t be friends with someone is way not cool.

I”m one of those people who loved the series and even the movies (I watched the first 3 times in the theaters, though each time I saw more and more flaws), but I can also see so many flaws that if fixed would have made the books more enjoyable.

Also, the other reason I don’t like Edward? I hate being cold and Mrs. Myers descriptions of his kisses give me a chill and not in a good way! Haha.

Posted by Heidi Cautrell | July 8, 2010, 11:03 am
  10. I read the Twilight books before my daughters. My house is totally Team Jacob. I have the shirts and posters to prove it. I went to the New Moon midnight show. Everyone shut up as soon as the movie started. When Jacob took his shirt off, there was an audible sigh. In my paranormal romance, my vampire is centuries old and ready to settle down. He has been there, done every single bit of that. He will love her forever. She likes it because she knows where to find him: dead all day, with her all night. A true win-win. Very appealing.

Posted by Mary Jo Burke | July 8, 2010, 7:20 pm
  11. Heidi- I totally agree on not wanting to be cold all the time. I’m constantly under a blanket, even during the summer, so I could use a boy who is always hot! He could be my own little mobile furnace! :lol: I am also right there with you when it comes to the ending of the series. Why put an epic battle in number three and not number four? Seems kind of anti-climactic if you ask me. Although number four does have a good plot, maybe Stephenie Meyer should have switched the last two around, although, there are still plenty of Twilight fans who wouldn’t have it any other way!

Posted by Sarah C. | July 10, 2010, 10:02 pm
  12. Mary Jo-
    Is it safe to say you’re a Twilight Mom?! If so, good for you, I’m sure your kids are so grateful they don’t have to force you to take them to see the movies or to buy them books and merchandise! Also, I believe I was one of the people who sighed when Jacob’s shirt came off in New Moon. He is one ripped werewolf!!!!

Posted by Sarah C. | July 10, 2010, 10:07 pm

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by carrie c spencer, Noelle Pierce. Noelle Pierce said: Yes. This is my take, and one reason I write hist instead of contemp romance (see Team Edward). Thank you Sarah! http://ow.ly/284yS […]