Posted On August 25, 2010 by Print This Post

An Interview with Tawny Weber’s Latest Hero

RU Crew, today we’ve snagged a fascinating interview subject, Alex Maddow, the hero in Tawny Weber’s September release RIDING THE WAVES. Alex is here with me on a beautiful beach at the Sea of Cortez (near Baja California for the geographically-challenged ;) ). Feel free to ask Alex questions of your own in the comments, and don’t forget that Tawny will also drop by to chat throughout the day!

Kelsey: Alex, I understand you’re an astrophysicist. #1: What is an astrophysicist? And #2: What inspires a guy to become one? (We’ve settled onto a couple of colorful beach towels facing the surf, and I’m trying not to stare. This guy—with his killer body—looks nothing like any science nerd I ever knew in school!)

Alex:  (He leans back on his elbows, totally unaware of how this showcases his abs.) Astrophysics is basically the study of physics in space.  The project I just assisted Drucilla studied the interplay of cosmic strings, hydrogen gas and gravitational influences. My dad and grandfather were astrophysicists, so you could say it’s a family thing.  I don’t remember ever wanting to be anything else.  I fast tracked through school – I started college at sixteen.

Kelsey: You’re obviously a smart guy, which means you were a smart kid. Tell me a little about how other kids treated you.

Alex: (His auburn hair reflects the intense mid-day sunlight.) I never quite fit in with the other kids.  I had friends.  Usually kids on the beach, in the neighborhood who liked to play ball.  That kind of thing.  I was always into sports, so that helped people ignore the brainiac tendencies, making it easier to fit in.

Kelsey: Your profession sounds intense. How do you chill out in your spare time?

Alex: (He turns to me, pulls off his sunglasses and smiles. I knew it! Warm brown eyes that crinkle slightly at the corners.) I surf.  I spend at least three months a year hitting the waves.  Nothing brings life back into perspective than flying through the ocean mist.  It used to be, the only time I felt at peace was when I was surfing. Now?  It’s amazing how great I feel just being around Drucilla.  The woman is amazing!

Kelsey: You sound pretty well-rounded—smarts and surfing. So what scares you to death?

Alex: (He frowns and covers up those incredible eyes with his shades.) Following in my father’s footsteps.  Being all about the work, locked up in a lab somewhere, ignoring life around me.  I love what I do, but it’s easy to obsess with a theory.  The men in my family suck at relationships, too.  I don’t want to end up ruining the best thing that’s ever happened to me.  But my mom rocks, and she’s always been there to teach me balance.

Kelsey: I’ve heard psychologists say that men are often attracted to women who remind them of their mothers? Would you agree?

Alex: (Huffs out a little laugh.) Now that’s not an image I want to consider for too long.  I mean, I love my mom and all, but attraction?  Other than maybe their sweet nature, Drucilla and my mom are nothing alike.  Dru is a little obsessive about the work.  She’s more like my dad when it comes to that – totally focused on success.  I’ve been there, seen that, though, so I’m good at talking her off that ledge and back to the fun side of life.

Kelsey: What’s the one question you hoped I wouldn’t ask in this interview?

Alex:  (He ducks his head and then looks back up at me.) Well, I was hoping we could sidestep that whole ‘why did you almost ruin the best relationship of your life and blow it with Drucilla’ question.

Kelsey: (From the intensity in every line in his body, I can tell this Drucilla is one lucky woman.) And the answer is?

Alex: (Shakes his head.) Aww man, I really don’t know.  I mean, maybe it’s like Dru says, maybe I was so afraid of being like my father and  hurting people who loved me, that I sorta sabotaged things so she wouldn’t get hurt. But see, that makes me sound like an idiot.  I hurt her so she wouldn’t get hurt?  Yeah, really dumb.

Kelsey: Thanks so much for the interview, Alex. Good luck with that Dru problem!

Alex: Thanks. Later, Kels.

Okay, RU Crew. This is your chance to grill Alex. What’s really going on with him and Drucilla? What’s he doing hanging out at the Sea of Cortez instead of working in his lab? And feel free to toss out questions to Tawny as well!

Join us Friday when Laurie Schnebly Campbell talks about creating your hero’s fatal flaw. (Hmm…wonder what Alex’s fatal flaw is??)

Tawny’s Bio:

Tawny Weber is usually found dreaming up stories in her California home, surrounded by dogs, cats and kids.  When she’s not writing hot, spicy stories for Harlequin Blaze, she’s shopping for the perfect pair of boots or drooling over Johnny Depp pictures (when her husband isn’t looking, of course).  In September 2010, her eighth Blaze, RIDING THE WAVES hits the bookshelves.  Come by and visit her on the web at www.tawnyweber.com.

Male Perspective

21 Responses to “An Interview with Tawny Weber’s Latest Hero”

1. Hi Alex,

When you first met Dru, what was your first impression? (On their own accord, my eyes travel to Alex’s smooth, rippling abs, wondering if he remembered to sunscreen on. My palms tingled.)

Great fun! Tawny, what do you like best about writing for Blaze?

Thanks,

Posted by TraceyDevlyn | August 25, 2010, 5:39 am
    • Hey, Tawny. Have I mentioned that I love this cover? :) Really looking forward to reading this.

Posted by Trish Milburn | August 25, 2010, 1:07 pm
      • Hi Trish :-D Thanks so much -I think this is one of my ultimate totally favorite covers. The artist really captured the feel of the beach and the characters the way I saw them in my head. That’s always amazing LOL

Posted by Tawny Weber | August 25, 2010, 1:24 pm
    • Hey there, Tracey ;-) My first impression of Drucilla? Hot. She’s an intriguing combination of fairy princess and every sexual fantasy I’ve ever had, all rolled together in a gorgeous package.
      ~~~

Hi Tracey :-) I do love writing for Blaze. I like the variety of the stories best, I think. They run the gamut from fun and light to intense suspense – but are always very VERY sexy. In Blaze I’ve written about everything from identity theft and sexual dares to witches curses and class reunions.

Posted by Tawny Weber | August 25, 2010, 1:11 pm
    • Hi Alex – Okay from looking at that cover, I’m thinking your version of string theory has more to do with Drucilla’s bikini and less with black holes and time. Care to elaborate?

Tawny – Can I just say hubba-hubba (grin). Love the cover. Love the story. Love intelligent sexy heroines. You got it all going on!

Posted by Donna MacMeans | August 25, 2010, 1:32 pm
      • :cool: Busted, Donna. Ya gotta admit, that’s one hot bikini, right? The only thing sexier than Drucilla in a bikini is Drucilla lecturing about cosmic strings and gravitational pull. Her brains are as much a turn on as her body!!
        ~~~~

Hi Donna :-D Yes, please! Hubba-hubba away :lol: I’m so loving this cover, and hope the readers love the story as much as I do. Thanks so much for coming by and drooling with me ;-)

Posted by Tawny Weber | August 25, 2010, 1:43 pm
    • Tawny, I can’t wait to read this book. Alex sounds like a great guy, and we science fiction nuts always love a hunky astrophysicist.

And what a fabulous cover!

Posted by Nancy Northcott | August 25, 2010, 2:22 pm
      • Hi Nancy :-D Thanks so much for dropping by! I do love writing hunky geeks. There’s just something so sexy about all that brilliance in a gorgeous body LOL. Writing Alex and Drucilla’s story was so fun because she spends all her time with smart, science guys and made an assumption that because Alex was a sexy surfer, he was, well, not brilliantly smart *g* Boy was she surprised to find out the truth!!!

Posted by Tawny Weber | August 25, 2010, 2:30 pm
  2. Alex – What reservations do you have about being with Dru? You obviously have some if you did something to sabotage what you’ve got with her.

And Tawny – What inspired Alex’s character, and how long does it take you to write a Blaze-length book?

Thanks so much to both of you for visiting RU!

Posted by KelseyBrowning | August 25, 2010, 8:48 am
    • Hey there, Kelsey – you do ask some tough questions, don’t you. My reservations had nothing to do with Drucilla, other than my worry about hurting her. They had everything to do with me. My belief that I couldn’t commit. My examples growing up – the men in my family are hell on relationships, and I’ve spent my life hearing how much I’m like my father and grandfather. So… yeah, like a huge wave, I had to face the fear and ride it out. It was worth it!
      ~~~~~
      Kelsey :-D Thanks so much for having me (us) here to visit RU! You’ve got a great site and so much fabulous information here, I’m clicking away, reading all these posts and articles.

So – what inspired Alex? Drucilla actually came first for me. A little uptight, worried about what other people thought, a girl whose been disappointed a few too many times and has a protective shell around her. I knew the story was to be a Forbidden Fantasy, so I started thinking -what would be her fantasy? Alex was inspired straight from her fantasies (with a little bit of ‘what would she need to overcome all those issues’ thrown in :cool: )

It takes me about 4 months to write a Blaze, although the actual act of writing from page 1 to The End is more like 3. I usually take a few weeks to mull and solidify the story idea and characters and write the synopsis to send my editor while I’m finishing another story. Together we tweak the story or characters until its solid, then I write. I usually have a week or so to do revisions later, too – while I’m working on yet another story. I try to keep myself writing constantly. Or if not writing, at least contemplating new stories and in some stage of plotting.

Posted by Tawny Weber | August 25, 2010, 1:20 pm
  3. Hi Tawny. Great interview!

Alex, how long have you been surfing and does Drucilla surf?

Posted by Adrienne Giordano | August 25, 2010, 1:11 pm
  4. Hellloooooo Alex!!! ;-)

What can you tell me about your first date with Drucilla? Do you remember what she wore? Nice abs, btw. Workout alot?
    (mops up drool before continuing on to Tawny)

Hello Tawny!!

Do you know how to surf? =) If not, what kind of research did you have to do to find out about it? (picturing the awful chore of hanging out at beaches all day, watching men like Alex surfing.)

Sigh.

=)

Posted by Carrie Spencer | August 25, 2010, 2:18 pm
    • Hellooooooo Carrie ;-)

Our first date? I’d planned to take Drucilla out to dinner and dancing. But she had other ideas. I’m a gentleman, so I’ll leave it at that :cool: I know she was wearing a dress, though. Something soft and slippery, that left her shoulders bare, tempting me to touch and see if her skin was as smooth as the fabric of her dress.
      ~~~
      Hi Carrie :-D

This was a run book to research, and since going in I knew as little about surfing as I did about cosmic strings, one of my most research intensive stories! I don’t surf, so I asked a friend who does to fill me in on the details. Nancy Haddock writes these amazing Vampire Surfer girl stories, and she gave me a surfing 101 lesson. And, of course, I did have to get the visuals right. Watching hot guys in bathing suits… oh yeah, it’s a rough life!

Posted by Tawny Weber | August 25, 2010, 2:38 pm
  5. Hi Alex!

Your background in physics and grasp of motion theory gives you an edge over other surfers.

Do you cook? And if you do, what would you cook for Dru if you were planning an romantic evening together?

Hola Tawny!

It’s Pink P. I can’t believe there’s no pic of Johnny! :cry:

Okay, if my physics prof looked like Alex, I would’ve paid more attention in class. Alex is a chunk of hunk. (His profile sort of reminds me of a young Clint Eastwood in “Play Misty for Me”)

Alex and Dru’s story sounds intriguing. I’ve always loved your smart-I-can-take-care-of-myself heroines. Would you ever consider writing single title length novels?

Cheers!
    Jen :grin:

p.s….Thank you for the bookcover card! Love it!

Posted by Jennifer Tanner | August 25, 2010, 4:01 pm
    • JEN :-D I love that question. And yes, I’d say when it comes to motion theory, I’m pretty good. At least, Drucilla thinks so ;-) As for cooking, sadly no. That’s an area of science that I’ve failed dismally at. But Drucilla doesn’t seem to mind too much since I can order up a meal with the best of ‘em!
      ~~~~
      Hey Pink :lol: It’s so cool to see you here! I’m sorry about the lack of Johnny love, but Alex didn’t seem to feel sharing pictures of other hunky men was too good for his image *g* Now I’m squinting at him, imagining Clint in his hey day and going woooooo baby LOL.

And thank you so much for the story love. I would consider single title, as soon as the market shifts more in the direction of what I write. Dark paranormal or suspense, or cozy small town seem to be the hot topics still and my voice doesn’t quite fit there. But yes, for sure… some day :-D

Posted by Tawny Weber | August 25, 2010, 10:34 pm
  6. Hi Alex. The blue trunks you’re wearing are in fad, but ‘fess up, have you ever worn speedos? Also, what hobby would you take up off if you couldn’t surf anymore?

Tawny, Alex sounds like a laid back barrel of sexiness and fun! Can’t wait to read this book!

Posted by Virna | August 25, 2010, 4:31 pm
  7. Virna, no way :cool: I’d go commando before I’d go speedo!!! If I couldn’t surf, I’d probably sail or take up swimming. Anything that keeps me on the ocean.
    ~~~

Hi Virna :-D Thank you so much – Alex was a lot of fun to write. He’s smart, sexy and seems so laid back, but he’s pretty intense inside.

Posted by Tawny Weber | August 25, 2010, 10:42 pm

1. [...] My September Blaze release, RIDING THE WAVES?  Oooooh yeah! I’m definitely jazzed about that! I can’t wait to hear if readers like Drucilla and Alex’s story (actually, Alex is being interviewed today over at Romance University) [...]