How many of you have dreamed of being locked in a library overnight?
No, not a nightmare. Not an all-nighter cram session. Not a clandestine rendezvous in a study carrel. An honest-to-goodness, put-it-on-your-Santa-list wish to be surrounded by stacks and shelves of books while other (normal) people are asleep?
If you have, you’re among friends. But if the idea of dark corners and eerie quiet creeps you out, you can still hang out at the Romance University library anytime, day or night. Here’s a sampling of our faculty’s writing craft holdings:
- A Dash of Style – Noah Lukeman
- Break into Fiction – Mary Buckham
- GMC: Goal, Motivation and Conflict – Debra Dixon
- How to Write a Damn Good Novel – James Frey
- Manuscript Makeover – Elizabeth Lyon
- On Writing – Stephen King
- Romance Writers’ Phrase Book – Jean Kent and Candace Shelton
- Save the Cat – Blake Snyder
- Scene and Structure – Jack M. Bickham
- Self-Editing for Fiction Writers – Renni Browne & Dave King
- Techniques of a Selling Writer – Dwight Swain
- The Art of War for Writers – James Scott Bell
- The Element Encyclopedias (Ghosts & Hauntings, Magical Creatures, 5000 Spells, etc.)
- The Fire in Fiction – Donald Maass
- The Flip Dictionary – Barbara Ann Kipfer, Ph.D.
- The Synonym Finder – JI Rodale
- The Write-Brain Workbook: 366 Exercises to Liberate Your Writing – Bonnie Neubauer
- Warriner’s English Grammar and Composition (Out of Print)
- Writing the Breakout Novel – Donald Maass
- Writing the Romantic Comedy – Billy Mernit
Truth? I have way over half of these in my personal library. I’m not sure whether I should be proud or ashamed of my lack of restraint when it comes to book buying. And this doesn’t touch my stack of research books. But man, I sure wish I’d had this list four years ago!
RU crew, what’s on your bookshelf? What one resource couldn’t you live without? What’s the strangest book in your research stash?
Mark Monday on your calendar because Anna DeStefano will be here talking about revisions and deconstruction. That’s a lecture I sure don’t want to miss!
Kelsey Browning writes romantic comedy and paranormal romance with a hint of southern sizzle. She’s a co-founder of Romance University blog where the mission is to empower writers, entertain readers and understand men. In her former life, she worked at one of the ten largest universities in the U.S., raising money and teaching students how to land their dream jobs. Now, she pursues her dream job of freelance and fiction writing, which provides excellent benefits such as unlimited coffee and an office dress code that includes flip-flops. Originally from Texas and after a four-year gig in the Middle East, she now lives in Southern California her IT-savvy husband, baseball-obsessed son and seriously spoiled dog. For more information, you can find Kelsey at www.KelseyBrowning.com.
- CTW: Scenes That Can’t Be Cut
- When Your Critique Partner’s Career is on the Move and Yours is Standing Still
- Romance University in 2011
- Wanna Know the Real Kelsey Browning?
- Weekly Lecture Schedule August 26-30