Posted On December 8, 2010 by Print This Post

Creating a Relatable Heroine with Author Tawny Weber

After picking the brain of one of her heroes a few months ago, we invited author Tawny Weber to join us again here at RU. But this time, we asked her to talk about heroines instead. How does a writer craft a compelling, sympathetic, and relatable heroine? Especially if the writer and the heroine are nothing alike? Tawny’s going to give us the goods on how to create a heroine your readers will love. And she’s generously offered to give one commenter a book from her backlist.

Welcome back, Tawny!

I’ll admit it, the major hook for me in any romance is the hero.  I love me a sexy hero.  Alpha, beta.  Nerd, Soldier.  Teacher, biker, CEO.  I love ‘em all.  I read romances for the story, of course, but also to fall in love with the hero.

Or I should say, to fall in love—along with the heroine.

Because as hot and sexy and wonderful as the heroes are (and they definitely are, aren’t they!) it’s the heroine that most readers connect with the strongest.  And it’s the heroine that we, as writers, need to focus on to draw readers in to the story.

One of the best pieces of advice I’ve ever gotten in writing was from my uber-awesome editor, Brenda Chin.  She said that the heroine had to be relatable.  The reader falls in love with the hero, but does so through the heroines’ eyes.  She has to be empathetic—someone the reader can identify with in some way.

Does that mean the heroine has to be syrupy sweet perfection?  Of course not.  Does it mean she has to be a good girl, an average woman, a just-like-Jane-up-the-street character?  Not at all.

She has to be relatable in some small way, so the reader can feel an affinity with her.

In my first book, DOUBLE DARE, Audra was a bad girl in every way.  She was super-sex, with spiked black hair, wore leather and had multiple piercings.  She was wild, ambitious and overly-confident in herself.  She wasn’t the average woman at all.  But I received so much mail about her from readers who said they didn’t think, when they started reading, that they’d understand or relate to her at all. But to their surprise, she was just like them.  Not in any of the ways I’ve already described, but in her deepest fear.  Her need to be accepted and fear of chasing her dreams at the expense of the status quo.

Because really, everything else is just surface.  It’s the emotions that we capture our readers with.  It’s the character’s emotional journey that they’re interested in.

And what if you, as the writer, are nothing like the heroine you’re writing?  I can’t speak for all writers, but for myself, it’s all about finding that emotional connection. What does the heroine fear?  What does she dream of?  These are powerful motivations that both drive her, and that in the heroines I’ve written, I can relate to.  In many ways, their fears and dreams are universal.  They are the same fears and dreams that I have, that many of my friends have, that I’ve seen played out over and over again. It’s finding that emotional connection, as a writer and as a reader, which makes our heroines so wonderful to take that romantic journey with.

An example would be my current heroine, Rita Mae Cole, in A BABE IN TOYLAND, a novella in the December Harlequin Blaze MUST HAVE BEEN THE MISTLETOE anthology.  She’s a bad girl (I have to say, I do love to write the bad girls, and even more those sexy bad boys).   She’s making her way home for the holidays by selling misfit sex toys, has no problem seducing the guy her family has the hates for, and is so flighty she’s never been able to hold down a job for more than six months.  None of this spells relatable, although it does make for some fun writing and reading *g*

It was her emotions, though, that readers can connect with, even if they’d could never-EVER imagine themselves selling the Tyrannosaurus Sex of dildos out of the back of a pickup truck to make enough money to buy their parent’s a gift.

Rita Mae is the youngest of three sisters, and has always felt like the biggest loser in her family.    No matter what she’s done, one of her sisters already did it better.  They are more talented, smarter, better.  She loves her family, but she seriously wonders if someone made a mistake at the hospital, because she has none of their gifts.   It’s her dedication to her family, and her fears and self-doubts, that make her relatable.  And because the reader can connect with that, they are able to laugh about the way she packages fur-lined handcuffs and edible body paint into Christmas stockings instead of cringe.

Rita Mae’s story, A BABE IN TOYLAND, is out now in the MUST HAVE BEEN THE MISTLETOE Blaze anthology.   I hope people will check it out and let me know what they think… did they relate to Rita?  I’d also love to invite readers to stop by and check out the contest I’m holding to celebrate the holidays and the release of my novella, A BABE IN TOYLAND.  I’ll be giving away the sweetest chocolate truffle ornament – it looks good enough to eat – and a copy of one of my books.  Details are on my website contest page.

RU Crew, have you ever had a tough time writing about a particular heroine? What gives you fits about character development? Tawny will drop by to answer question. And don’t forget she’ll give away a book from her backlist to one lucky commenter!

Join us Friday when Harlequin Super Romance author Liz Talley will talk about taking your readers for an emotional roller coaster ride!

Tawny’s Bio:

Tawny Weber is usually found dreaming up stories in her California home, surrounded by dogs, cats and kids.  When she’s not writing hot, spicy stories for Harlequin Blaze, she’s shopping for the perfect pair of boots or drooling over Johnny Depp pictures (when her husband isn’t looking, of course).  In December 2010, her ninth Blaze, A BABE IN TOYLAND hits the bookshelves.  Come by and visit her on the web at www.tawnyweber.com.

Anatomy of the Mind

51 Responses to “Creating a Relatable Heroine with Author Tawny Weber”

1. Hi Kelsey, hi Tawny,

I love a heroine who has a flaw. I little scar, a birthmark, maybe she thinks one of her eyes sits slightly higher than the other or that her nose is too big. If we wrote perfect barbie doll heroines, who would read them? We’d be giving everyone complexes all over the place! And definitely, as women, I feel we can relate to another woman’s emotions and empathise so much easier because usually we’ve all been there and done it (not that I’ve sold dildos out the back of a pick up truck) but I have felt that my family got all the talent and I was the odd one out… Until I found writing that is =)

Thanks for the info and advice! You’re always so helpful!!

Bronwyn.

Posted by Bronwyn | December 8, 2010, 1:12 am
    • Yikes, I wrote a reply and think my computer ate it. I sang the odes to Barbie’s perfection, so I won’t repeat them in case the email returns from the ether :-)

Bronwyn, YES! I do think that perfection in a heroine is a turn off to the reader. None of us think we’re perfect, and as a rule, women especially tend to be suspicious (and maybe a little snarky… or is that just me?) toward perfect seeming women. That said, I don’t really focus much in my writing about the physical aspects since I tend to introduce the appearance of both characters through the eyes of their loving opposite. The heroes first view of the heroine is the first time readers ‘see’ her, and vice versa. And the hero sees her as gorgeous :-) Which is always a great contrast to her “knowing she’s not”.

Posted by Tawny Weber | December 8, 2010, 1:20 pm
    • Bronwyn –

I do like some physical quirks, as long as the heroine doesn’t obsess over them. What I don’t care for, as a reader, is the heroine constantly feeling inferior because of her looks (although it’s strange I write that since I liked Min in Jenny Crusie’s Bet Me so much!). I just don’t want the heroine’s looks to paralyze her. I think I liked Min so much because she decided not to make any excuses for her love of eating.

And Cal loved that Min loved to eat. Very Sexy!

Thanks for commenting!
      Kels

Posted by KelseyBrowning | December 8, 2010, 3:55 pm
      • Kelsey, that’s a great point! While we want to empathize with the heroine, and it’s important that she have a strong internal conflict and growth arc… we don’t tend to empathize much with inferiority complexes or with self-pity. Even when it’s well-deserved. A heroine who has issues, and either ignores them (hey, we all do that) or struggles to deal with them but doesn’t beat her self up is much easier to relate to for most readers.

Posted by Tawny Weber | December 8, 2010, 6:37 pm
  2. Hi Tawny,

Thanks for the fabulous post! When I first started writing my heroine, contest judges didn’t like her. She was hard, vengeful, and emotionally disconnected to the world (she had a little problem with being tortured in France).

During a seminar with Susan Elizabeth Phillips as the presenter, I told her my problem. Evidently, she had the same situation with one of her female characters and told me to reveal the heroine’s vulnerability or softer side, little by little.

Maybe she sees a child drop her toy, but the child doesn’t notice and the toy looks like a much-loved object. She doesn’t pick it up while anyone’s looking, but she does pick it up and places it in a location where the child is sure to find it.

By doing this, the writer shows the reader that the heroine is worthy of our love–we gotta just crack through all those nasty little walls.

Posted by TraceyDevlyn | December 8, 2010, 5:14 am
    • Tracey, what incredible advice (well, yeah, of course it is *G* considering the brilliant source!)

I read a contest heroine once and had a similar reaction. She was as bad ass as bad ass comes and she was so incredible well written, I who am so not a bad ass couldn’t find anything to connect with. And she, like your heroine, was fabulously motivated to be the bad ass she was. Which meant that while I understood her need to be tough and hard and mean, I didn’t really connect with her. But the littlest thing can change that and keep the hard, tough exterior. Showing she cares about something. Showing her fear – which doesn’t have to be of the next battle or the major negotiations or the intensely fabulous sex she’s about to have (hopefully not all at the same time), but even a small fear about something personal –if its a universal one we all can connect with, will draw me right in.

Because we need readers to not only be able to relate to our characters, to but to care about them. To want them to win their battle so much that they keep the light on hours after their bedtime because they have to know what happened. Because they are so emotionally hooked, they can’t stop :-)

Posted by Tawny Weber | December 8, 2010, 1:28 pm
  3. I loved this post. And I’m glad I’m not the only writer out there who has a heroine plugging sex toys. *grin* Thanks for sharing your advice and tips.

Happy Holidays!

Posted by Christine | December 8, 2010, 7:06 am
  4. Thanks, this is really an encouraging post. I’ve written three manuscripts and several people didn’t like the heroine in all three of them. I think it must be because I’m missing the emotional elements you mention but I’ve been through these manuscripts many times and still can’t see what to add.

So I’m curious – you got a lot of mail from people who liked the heroine in DOUBLE DARE but did you also get mail from people who didn’t like her? Maybe I’m stressing over it too much and you just can’t please some people. LOL

Posted by Kat Cantrell | December 8, 2010, 7:13 am
    • Kat –

Do you have any trusted CPs or readers who might be able to help you put your finger on the problem?

Posted by KelseyBrowning | December 8, 2010, 11:12 am
    • Kat, I’ll echo Kelsey’s question. Do you work with critique partners who’s opinion and advice you trust? If so, is the lack of love for your heroine coming from them?

I remember advice I received early on, when I’d submitted my first manuscript. My now editor had then rejected it and after explaining why, she’d asked me to write something totally new. I didn’t want to do new LOL. I loved that story and wanted to take her advice and fix it. But she said that starting from scratch was better, it would let me create the character with all of the right elements instead of trying to plaster over the wrong ones (yes, that’s definitely paraphrasing what she actually said, but it’s been a lot of years and I can’t remember her exact words LOL).

I’m writing my twelfth published book right now and I still have that issue of looking at the story and not seeing exactly what the issue is. In this one, I knew the heroine was off. I knew she wasn’t right and I wasn’t getting that emotional tone I wanted. But I couldn’t see where she was off. That’s when I threw myself on the mercy of my cp’s. And by the time I had Anna’s response to what she saw as the issue, I’d figured it out myself–but her solution was so much better LOL. So yes, I’m a big proponent of CPs and trusted readers.

As for reader mail, I didn’t get negative reader mail on my first book, thank goodness! That would have hurt :-D I’ve found that people are wonderful in that they will often take the time to give kudos, but aren’t as often motivated to tell you they think you stink. I have gotten one or two emails that didn’t like aspects of my stories, though.

Posted by Tawny Weber | December 8, 2010, 1:46 pm
      • Thanks for the heartfelt replies Tawny and Kelsey! Actually, most of the comments come from contest judges and various similar platforms for receiving feedback. My CP hasn’t had much of a problem with my heroines so I’m afraid she’s biased. LOL

Posted by Kat Cantrell | December 8, 2010, 4:58 pm
        • Kat – if you only have one CP now, why don’t you see if you can get another person’s opinion on the full manuscript? If you belong to any chapters/writing groups, you could probably hook up with someone who would read for you. I would just make sure it’s someone at least at your skill level or higher, if possible.

Just my two cents! :)
          Kels

Posted by KelseyBrowning | December 8, 2010, 5:11 pm
        • LOL Kat. I’ve accused my CP of that many a’times. What we’ve found, though, is that because we’re often so intertwined in each others writing process – we brainstorm together, we bounce ideas off each other, we spend a lot of time with each others story and characters –we might actually miss things like unsympathetic character traits because ‘we know’ what the other one is saying… it just isn’t quite there on paper yet.

This is where a third read can be a great help.

Posted by Tawny Weber | December 8, 2010, 6:39 pm
  5. I consider myself a writer in training. I’ve had some hits on a manuscript but mine seem to be heavily slanted toward the hero. I’m finding myself fearing writing from the heroine’s pov. As you said, I fall in love with the hero. Do you have any advice that could help me get past this. I’m wondering as I analyze my work if its something hidden in me that I have to explore through a heroine in a story. Its my fear of perhaps putting too much of me in that character becoming what I read somewhere as a “MarySue” character?

Thanks for the advice. I really going back over your article here.

Nan

Posted by Nan O'Berry | December 8, 2010, 8:18 am
    • Oh, Nan –

I feel your pain. I would much rather write in my hero’s POV, and honestly, I’m a little afraid of what that says about me!

Posted by KelseyBrowning | December 8, 2010, 11:11 am
    • Hi Nan :-)

I actually had to step away from the computer to think about your question. It’s a great one. What I came up with was this… Do you like your heroines? Would you want to be friends with them, or do you admire them, or is there something about them that makes you happy?

If not… why? I’m a big believer in love starting with us – we have to feel like our characters are alive and connect with them if we ever expect a reader to.

Since you relate so strongly with your hero, what if you flip the question a little… How do you create a heroine who is worthy of his love? One who he can help grow, who he can give an emotional gift to (because that is yet another thing readers want -to see why this particular character is the ONLY one who can help our hero/heroine get over their issues and be happy). Take it from his pov and see if that gives you the impetus to connect with your heroine.

Posted by Tawny Weber | December 8, 2010, 3:07 pm
  6. Morning Tawny…

Great advice….when you are planning your heroine’s development, do you write out lists of who she is, her friends and family, etc? or does she flow more organically?

Thanks for posting with us today

(who has lost her exclamation point on her keyboard – sob)

Posted by Carrie Spencer | December 8, 2010, 8:57 am
    • Carrie –

As my sister would say, “Now that’s just a tragesty!” ;) (Sorry, couldn’t help but flaunt my exclamation mark.)

K-

Posted by KelseyBrowning | December 8, 2010, 11:10 am
    • Oh NO!!! I’d be crushed without my exclamation points. And with out anything to let me make a smiley. I tend to over-emote in emails LOL.

Thanks so much, Carrie :-) (see!) I am a fan of charts and forms and anything I can fill out… but I rarely do it. For every book, I print them out. I start to fill in the little boxes but as I start focusing on the characters the process does become much more organic. I’ll usually have about 3 of 20 boxes filled in when I start writing *g* I really am a fan of them, though, because the simple questions get me thinking and help open the door to my characters for me.

What tends to do a lot more for me is the actual writing. I’ll rewrite the first three chapters so many times until I feel the characters are real. I need to know their issues, their personality and quirks and how and why they react to things as they do before I can move past that third chapter. It often takes me as long to write the opening as the rest of the story, because I can’t move forward until this is all solid for me.

Posted by Tawny Weber | December 8, 2010, 3:14 pm
  7. @Nan O’Berry — The meaning of “MarySue” has become a bit muddled but it originally meant a self-insert, wish fulfillment character whom everyone loved and/or didn’t really understand and she either became Cinderella at the ball or died tragically and then everyone realized they were mean to her and felt bad about it. It comes out of Star Trek fandom and a parody of a type of character that was running through fan fic (and still does). In the parody, the character was “Ensign MarySue Perfect” and you can figure it out from there. Why do I know this? I remember reading that parody back in the day.

I’d say draft away from the heroine’s POV and then get someone you trust to give you comments. That might help remove any chance of MarySue-ness.

Great post, Tawny — and I especially liked the reminder to find the emotional connection in our heroines.

Posted by Caro | December 8, 2010, 9:01 am
  8. Hi Tawny,

You talked about your heroine being the youngest sister. In the manuscript I just finished, my heroine is the youngest sister. She is her parents’ biological child and her sisters are adopted. They are everything she thinks she’s not: successful, smart, pretty. She attracts THE most eligilble bachelor in Chicago. For once, her sisters envy her for all the right reasons. I like the idea of the heroine digging beneath the surface to find her emotional core.

Mary Jo Burke

Posted by Mary Jo Burke | December 8, 2010, 9:35 am
  9. Morning, all –

Wow! Some great questions for Tawny already. She’s out here on the west coast with me, so we may not see her pop in until a little later.

Here’s a question for everyone: Who are some of your fav heroines and why?

I love Tracey’s Cora because she is a different sort of heroine, in charge of herself and her future which is very unusual for that time.

I like many of SEP’s heroines because they’re quirky, and quite honestly, a little messed up – LOL.

I have to say I’m partial to Adrienne’s heroes. Not that her heroines aren’t great, but those heroes? Now those guys are to die for :).

Jeannie Frost also did a great job with Cat in her Night Huntress series.

Tawny, which of your heroines is your favorite and who else has written heroines who are very memorable for you?

Thanks so much for being with us today!

Posted by KelseyBrowning | December 8, 2010, 11:09 am
    • y’know, what Tracey’s comment reminded me of is Eve Dallas of JD Robb fame. She’s a very badass heroine, has to be tough and mean because of her job and has a deep deep hurt because of the way she was raised. But yet, she takes home the murder victim’s cat, She has a weakness for real coffee. And for Roarke. =) She snipes at his butler, but then saves his life. And Nora Roberts makes her totally believable in every circumstance.

=)

(sorry for rambling..lol)

Posted by Carrie Spencer | December 8, 2010, 2:37 pm
    • Hi Kelsey :-)

Oh, wonderful question… my favorite heroines.

I love all of Nora’s, but the ones that stand out the strongest are Eve Dallas, the heroines from the Three Sisters trilogy, and some of her older Silhouette heroines like Syndney from the Stanislaski series. She writes such powerfully strong women who are immensely vulnerable. Even when they are damaged, they aren’t victims. Even when they are in-your-face strong, they aren’t hard.

Other heroines that jump to mind are Jenny Crusie’s Tilda from Faking It, Beth Andrews Kelsey from Not Without Her Family and Vicki Lewis Thompson’s Genevieve from Nerd in Shining Armor.

As for my own heroines, I think my favorite is probably Larissa from my upcoming May book, Just For The Night. She was fab fun to write :-)

Posted by Tawny Weber | December 8, 2010, 3:31 pm
      • I was just thinking of Eve because I happen to be reading Fantasy in Death. I just never seem to tire of her snarky personality because Nora does soften Eve with small details. In this book, Eve just interviewed two small boys, and it definitely helped me connect with her.

How about Min in Crusie’s Bet Me? I’m sure I’ll think of more!
        Kels

Posted by KelseyBrowning | December 8, 2010, 3:53 pm
        • I loved Min, Kelsey :-) I’m a fan of most of Crusie’s heroines because they are so realistic. They are the people we have lunch with, the girls we get drinks with, our neighbor. They have that down-to-earth reality that we can empathize with so easily.

In contrast, Nora Robert’s heroines are often more the woman I strive to be :-) A great example is her recent Vows series. Those girls worked out all the time. They actually exercised. (yes, I sound shocked as I say that) They have the discipline to make sure they incorporate exercise into their massively busy days. Now, I admire that. I want to do that. And I wish I was doing that *g* But more often, it’s a “I wish I was like that–and I could be!” than a “hey, she’s just like me” element that Nora weaves in. This would be a strong contrast to some of the more kick-ass heroines that I admire, but know I’ll never be like (anyone who beats people up, for instance. I’m a known wimp).

Posted by Tawny Weber | December 8, 2010, 4:58 pm
          • Tawny –

I think the kickass heroine is the reason I like to read urban fantasy from time to time. I couldn’t do all that stuff, but I sometimes wish I could. So for the length of the book, I can!

K-

Posted by KelseyBrowning | December 8, 2010, 6:17 pm
  10. WOW! What a great bunch of questions to kick off the day :-)

I’m sorry I’m running late- my writing didn’t find it’s gear until about 2am, so I kept going until I couldn’t see straight around 5, and am just now getting it together for the day :-)

So let me refill my tea and dive in!

But first, a big thank sto Kelsey for having me :-) You have an incredible place here ;-)

Posted by Tawny Weber | December 8, 2010, 12:56 pm
  11. Hi Bronwyn :-)

I totally agree about the perfect Barbie doll heroines. Even though many of us grow up playing with Barbie, she’s not easily to relate to. She does have fab shoes, great clothes and a rockin’ pink car, though :-) But she’s plastic. In every sense.

I agree that physical perfection is a turn off for many readers (well, the heroine’s perfection… I’m not sure I’ve heard it said that ‘this hero shouldn’t be that hot” LOL)

Posted by Tawny Weber | December 8, 2010, 1:11 pm
  12. Hi Tawny. Thank you for being here. My last heroine was tough because she was a sexual abuse victim and was coming off as very angry. It took me a long time to figure her out because her issues couldn’t be dealt with in one book. I didn’t want her to meet the hero and–bam!–she was healed. Once I realized I had to give her baby steps, it became much easier to write her story. At the end of the book, she still had a long way to go, but she had made strides and I was happy with that.

Thanks for a great post!

Posted by Adrienne Giordano | December 8, 2010, 2:31 pm
    • Hi Adrienne :-)

Kudos for finding such an empathic, realistic way to write a heroine whose lived through abuse. Like you say, a tidy bow around the happy ever after isn’t something most readers would believe, but tiny steps show so much more and often speak more deeply to the reader about both the intensity of what the character has lived through and the power of love between the characters.

Posted by Tawny Weber | December 8, 2010, 4:54 pm
  13. Hi, great advice. Great tips about creating a heroine from the post as well as from all the questions and answers. A very, very heartfelt thank you!

Posted by Nas | December 8, 2010, 3:32 pm
  14. Tawny: Thanks for the post. I find that many of heroines have a little bit of me or my friends, sister. aunts, etc in them. Their best qualities are things that I like, admire, pull me to them or just make them who they are. Even the not so great stuff seeps into my gals. I think that helps make them relatable to Jane Q. Public.

Posted by Robin Covington | December 8, 2010, 5:37 pm
    • Robin –

It would be interesting to look at all your (meaning my :)) close girlfriends to see what attracted me to them as friends. That might make a good “anchoring” personality trait for a relatable heroine.

Good tip!
      Kels

Posted by KelseyBrowning | December 8, 2010, 6:15 pm
    • Robin, this is a great insight! I know all of my heroes have a bit here or there of my husband. My villains tend to have traits, names or issues of people I don’t like *g* and yes, my heroines have traits of people I like.

Posted by Tawny Weber | December 8, 2010, 6:44 pm
  15. Great post, Tawny! As you know, I’m a big fan of your heroines (and, of course, your sexy heroes *g*) I loved Rita in A Babe In Toyland and Audra holds a special place in my heart. Another of your heroines I adored was Belle from Coming On Strong. The way you handled her personal growth was fantastic :-)

Posted by Beth Andrews | December 8, 2010, 6:35 pm
  16. Hey Tawny!

Great to have you back! My biggest issue with writing a relatable heroine is the balance between “just enough” or “overkill” of info. While I know my heroine inside out, the reader doesn’t and I wonder if the reader’s going to pick up on the few words or that single sentence about the heroine’s past, or if I need to pad it with more back story.

Wonderful advice! I’m assuming you’ll be checking out “The Tourist” with Johnny D. :)

Cheers,
    Jen

Posted by jennifer tanner | December 8, 2010, 7:18 pm
    • Jennifer, I hear ya on how much is enough. I tend to let my book dictate how far I go with that. I write short contemporary, so only have 60k to tell my story. So I tend to get as much info as necessary for the reader to connect and understand the heroine in as early as possible. With longer books, I think you can layer a lot more, though. As for the hero, I like discovering him more and more as we get through the story :-) Much like the heroine does.

LOL on seeing The Tourist. I do love my Johnny!!! I’m not sure if I’ll get to the theaters though, life is crazy this time of year. Might have to wait to drool on the DVD for that one.

Posted by Tawny Weber | December 8, 2010, 11:12 pm
  17. Tawny –

Thanks so much for being at RU today and chatting about crafting these great heroines. Don’t be surprised if we chase you down again to talk about another topic!

Posted by KelseyBrowning | December 8, 2010, 10:00 pm

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Tawny Weber and Jennifer Tanner, Jennifer Tanner. Jennifer Tanner said: http://romanceuniversity.org/2010/12/08/identifiable-heroine-tawny-weber/ […]