Posted On December 15, 2010 by Print This Post

Janet Evanovich Speaks

I recently tracked down Janet Evanovich and cornered her for a short interview. Janet is the inspiration for my finally deciding to become a writer, and I absolutely adore her books. Welcome Janet!

Janet EvanovichCarrie Spencer: Janet, I love you. Love your books, love your writing style. Your characters come alive; your sense of humor comes through in every scene and piece of action. With so many of your books on the market, how do you keep track of the characters? And where do you come up with those great names?

Janet Evanovich: I keep a list of all the names (plus brothers, sisters and other relatives) in a notebook. With 20 books involving the Plum characters, keeping track is a bit daunting. I get names from all kinds of places. Old high school yearbooks, the phone book, etc. Sometimes I just combine two last names.

Carrie: Do you have a favorite character to write? Is one more fun than the others? Or will this cause fighting amongst the ranks if you answer?

Janet: The books are written in first person in the voice of Stephanie Plum, my female bounty hunter protagonist, so I’d have to say that she’s the most fun. After that, it would be Lula, Stephanie’s sidekick and best friend.

Carrie: I laugh out loud when I read your books. Once, I’ll even admit to a milk-out-the-nose incident. Do you get the giggles when writing these scenes as well?

Janet: I never laugh out loud when I’m writing, but every now and then I think I’m pretty clever.

Carrie: You were unpublished for ten years. Sorry, you probably don’t need reminding of that. =) But how did you handle the rejection? What would you suggest to other authors who are thinking of giving up?

Janet: If you love to write, you should never give up. I wrote three unpublished novels before I finally got published. I got down each time I received a rejection notice, but I just stashed them in a big box and continued to write. There was the tipping point at which I took the box out to the curb and torched it. Four months after that I sold my first book.

Carrie: I’ve read in other interviews that you get up early, write for hours then go for a walk or workout. But what kind of writer are you? Sweatpants and Oreos or jeans and hot tea?

Janet: Sweatpants and Oreos all the way. Isn’t that the whole point of working at home? No more pantyhose. But I do write for hours and hours each day. I never put in less than 8 hours of writing every day.

Carrie: Janet, you can tell me, I promise I won’t tell a soul. =) Morelli or Ranger?

Janet: Let’s just say you could make a strong case for either.

Janet can’t be with us today, so we’re taking a little poll. What do you say faithful readers? Morelli or Ranger?

Join us tomorrow for Jeannie Ruesch of Will Design for Chocolate!

Janet spent a great deal of her childhood in LaLa Land. As an adult, she’s the voice behind the Stephanie Plum series. Her latest book, Wicked Appetite, was released in September. You can read more about Janet and her books at http://www.evanovich.com

Publishing Career

24 Responses to “Janet Evanovich Speaks”

1. Hi Janet,

Great interview and thanks for joining us today! Love your cover for Wicked Appetite.

I vote for Ranger. 🙂

Posted by TraceyDevlyn | December 15, 2010, 5:27 am
  2. Hi Carrie. Great interview! I have to say I’m a Morelli girl. I think it’s the whole Italian thing. What I love about Ranger though is he is totally calm about everything. I think Stephanie has trashed every car he’s let her drive and he just keeping giving her more. LOL.

Posted by Adrienne Giordano | December 15, 2010, 7:33 am
  3. Morning all!!

I’m going with Morelli. =) Ranger’s a hot tamale no doubt, but I think Morelli (and his dog Bob) are the perfect foils for Stephanie – and her disasters.

Love the books Janet!!!

=)

Posted by Carrie Spencer | December 15, 2010, 8:02 am
  4. Great interview with Janet Evanovich! I love her fun, lively characters and writing style. Her stories often make me laugh out loud. Janet has a very inspiring story of her persistent efforts to get published. It is motivating to learn how dedicated she remains to her craft – putting in eight hours of writing every day.

I’m going to have to vote for the hot and mysterious Ranger.

Posted by Roxanne | December 15, 2010, 9:25 am
  5. Thanks for this invertivew. I am a huge Janet fan and read every single Plum novel the minute they come out!

A few years back I dragged myself out of a depression by reading Stephanie from book one to eight. By the time I got to seven, I forgot why I was depressed and quickly went out and bought eight.

I am an Italian and route for Morelli all the way 🙂

Posted by Florence Fois | December 15, 2010, 9:41 am
  6. Carrie –

Congrats on the fab interview with Janet. She just tickles my funny bone. Don’t know about you, but I want to be her when I grow up :).

Oh, man…do I have to choose? I have to say I choose which ever one I’m reading about at the time. Okay, okay, I like all the back story between her and Morelli, so today I’ll vote for him. But tomorrow, it could be Ranger…

Kels

Posted by Kelsey Browning | December 15, 2010, 10:53 am
  7. lovely interview. I always go with Joe. Pages 150-154 rock.

Posted by Vicki Batman | December 15, 2010, 11:49 am
  8. Carrie,

Great catch for an interview. I have laughed out loud too. Grandma usually gets me because she reminds me of too many relatives, young and old. I have been to many wakes of people I never met. My mom scanned the death notices first every morning. I love Joe, but oh that Ranger.

Mary Jo Burke

Posted by Mary Jo Burke | December 15, 2010, 1:39 pm
  9. Super interview, Carrie! Just reading everyone’s comments put a smile on my face!

Posted by jennifer tanner | December 15, 2010, 4:39 pm
  10. Oh how I love Janet’s books. They’ve rescued me from the dullness so many times!
    I’m now not allowed to read Janet in bed. Laughing is one thing but the explosive snort when held in laughter breaks free,sends the man through the ceiling.

morelli, ranger, morelli, ranger… Perhaps even and odd days?

Posted by katt | December 15, 2010, 6:30 pm
  11. One more night with Rnger and then Morelli – 4evah! : )

Posted by Robin Covington | December 15, 2010, 9:41 pm
  12. I love Janet’s book sooooo much!!! I’ve even read Grandma and Lula scenes out loud to my husband and he cracks up.

Morelli. Ranger is just too tidy to be normal.

Sally

Posted by Sally Bayless | December 16, 2010, 4:23 pm
  13. Great interview. I have learned to never read Evanovich on the train. She is laugh out loud and funny and I find myself grinning or worse, I snicker. Although I do understand the pull of Ranger, my vote is with Morelli.

Posted by Vannie Ryanes | December 17, 2010, 8:01 am
  14. Super interview, Carrie! Just reading everyone’s comments put a smile on my face!

Posted by Carole Hickman | December 23, 2010, 2:34 pm
  15. Ranger all the way! Morelli is verbally abusive to Steph, and controlling, not to mention how badly he treated her in earlier years. Books 1-4 really show what a jerk he is. Plus the cahnces of him staying faithful are nill. Ranger is hotter, he’s honest, he doesn’t play games, has never tried to control her and you know what you’re getting with him. And lets’ face it, he truly loves her. go ranger!

Posted by lalaranger fan | June 19, 2014, 8:50 pm

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by carrie c spencer, Adrienne Giordano. Adrienne Giordano said: RT @RomanceUniv Janet Evanovich Speaks http://bit.ly/gEsiDD […]

2. […] Credits: http://romanceuniversity.org/2010/12/15/janet-evanovich-speaks/ […]