Posted On December 29, 2010 by Print This Post

What Makes an Insomniac Tick?

Faculty member (and aspiring author) Jennifer Tanner answers the burning question – white or wheat? Let’s find out what goes on in Jen’s brain shall we?

White or wheat? I prefer white only because I was forced to eat wheat (Harvest Day brand from Lucky’s). Now, I eat whole grain and indulge in sourdough or rosemary potato when I can. I’m a total carb freak. Good bread is better than candy.

Dog or cat? I like dogs, but our yard isn’t fenced. I have two cats, Paxil and Cheddar. I terrorize them with a lint roller.

Drive or fly? If the trip is more than five hours, I’m taking the bird.

PBJ or tuna? Neither. A fried bologna sandwich with good mayo like Duke’s is a secret guilty pleasure.

Leather or lace? Both are too extreme for me. Stretchy cottons are more my speed.

Mountains or beach? Hmm…the mountains in the summer and the beach in the winter.

Paperback or hardback? Depends on the book. If it’s a keeper, then hardback. I won’t loan out my hardback books.

Flip flops or tennis shoes? I’m leaning toward tennies, but I wear Merrell clogs all the time.

Pen or pencil? Pen because I can never find a pencil sharpener when I need one. Also, I’m a stationery whore–I love pretty paper and nice pens. Writing notes via snail mail is almost a lost art.

Mac or PC? I use a laptop. A good friend has three (yes, three!) slim, lightweight Macs. I’m quite envious so a I might spring for one when my laptop goes toes up.

Coffee or tea? Coffee! Preferably Starbucks or Peet’s. I’ve been drinking coffee since I was eight. My parents didn’t believe in assigned bedtimes.

Night owl or early riser? I’m definitely a night owl. (And this way, I can catch up on the past episodes of Law and Order and keep Carrie company until it’s beauty rest time for her.)

Coke or Pepsi? Diet Coke with crushed ice and a squeeze of lemon is my cocktail of choice. Diet Pepsi only if I’m desperate.

City or country? Having spent my high school years in the country, I prefer the convenience of the city.

Cat Woman or Wonder Woman? Wonder Woman. She’s perfectly accessorized and I covet her belt.

Superman or Batman? Neither. I had a mad crush on Robin and I adored Alfred.

Email or Text? Email but I’m texting more.

Summer or winter? When I was a kid, I loved summer. Now, fall is my favorite season.

Cheetos or Doritos? Original Cheetos! Why does salt and fat taste so good?

Lays or Ruffles? Ruffles are better for dipping.

Rock ‘n Roll or classical? Rock. Probably because my dad used to listen to Mantovani. (cringes) I’ll listen to anything except heavy metal and rap.

Sunny side up or scrambled? Any way is fine, but I’m not a fan of hard-boiled unless it’s in a salad and please, no quail eggs!

Milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Bittersweet. But I love See’s dark nuts and chews, Almond Roca and Cadbury Flake.

Jeans or khakis? Jeans. The more worn and faded, the better.

Baseball or football? College football. Roll on you Bears!

Interested in knowing more about Jen? You can email me even if it’s after hours on a school night. Chances are I’ll be up!

Be sure to drop by on Friday to meet Heather Long – she’s one of a kind!

Jennifer’s Bio:

Bio: Jennifer Tanner writes contemporary romance with a sprinkle of humor. By the time she was ten, she’d read through the entire children’s section in the bookmobile and began forging her mother’s signature in order to check out adult-themed books. After twenty-five years in the transportation business, she now writes full-time and fantasizes about a spotless house and perfect risotto. You can visit her blog http://jennifertanner.info

Anatomy of the Mind

28 Responses to “What Makes an Insomniac Tick?”

1. Jen, I haven’t had a bologna and mayo sandwich in years! And I usually put a lemon slice in my cola too. Picked that up in England several years ago. :)

Try mechanical pencils, then you never have to worry about sharpening!

Posted by TraceyDevlyn | December 29, 2010, 5:44 am
  2. Hola Tracey!

Fried bologna sandwiches were one of the first things I learned how to make other than eggs. There’s something about the softness of the bread and tang of the mayo mixed with the saltiness of the bologna that’s just magical. Remember how the bread would get stuck to the roof of your mouth? I try to use the low fat bologna and Duke’s mayo makes a lighter version mayo now. I’m not big on mayo but man, Duke’s is the best. I order it on line.

My dad was an engineer and there were always mechanical pencils around the house. I used them a lot when I took Mandarin in college. However, I have a tendency to press too hard. Snap!

Posted by jennifer tanner | December 29, 2010, 6:13 am
  3. Morning Jen…

fried bologna sandwich. hmm. I might have to give that one a shot! Grilled like a grilled cheese?

Elvis or Van Halen?

Heels or flats?

=)

Posted by Carrie Spencer | December 29, 2010, 8:30 am
  4. Jennifer: Your fried bologna and Duke’s mayo made my mouth water. Duke’s is the only mayo I’ll use and I can get it locally (thank God) along with Bunker Hill chili (for my hot dogs of course – no beans)

I think I’m hungry . . ..

Have a great day!

Posted by Robin Covington | December 29, 2010, 8:55 am
    • Hello Robin!

I was introduced to Duke’s mayo by a friend in Atlanta who sent me a jar. A family friend from Birmingham brings a jar to us every time he comes to CA. I’m happy that I can order it on-line now! Duke’s (the full fat one of course!) in a potato salad is heaven.

Okay, so what’s Bunker Hill chili? I’m off to Google it!

Posted by jennifer tanner | December 29, 2010, 5:02 pm
  5. Jennifer – I’m so glad I found a fellow night owl to keep me company when I should be sleeping! I’ve never tried Duke’s mayo (I’ve been trying to eliminate mayo from my diet for the past several years). In our house, it was always Hellman’s. I have fond – and fattening – memories of my mom making us tomato soup and bologna “roll-ups” when I was a kid. Those were slices of bologna slathered with either Durkee’s Sauce or Hellman’s, rolled up and eaten as finger food.

Posted by Becke Davis (Becke Martin) | December 29, 2010, 11:31 am
  6. Jennifer –

I’m ashamed to say I’ve never had Duke’s mayo, but I have eaten a fried bologna sandwich or two in my time!

Bath or shower?

Snow or rain?

Hope you’re having a fantastic Wednesday!
    Kels

Posted by Kelsey Browning | December 29, 2010, 2:58 pm
    • Hey Kelsey…

I gave up taking baths when I realized there was no one to scrub out the ring around the tub except me. Besides, they don’t make the original formula of Mr. Bubbles anymore.

The snow sure is pretty to look at, but being a California native, I’ll take rain! (And I say that only because my house isn’t built into a hillside supported by stilts, which could give way in a mudslide.)

Posted by jennifer tanner | December 29, 2010, 4:54 pm
  7. I forgot to comment on “pen or pencil?” Like you, I’m a stationery geek, but my handwriting is so godawful I usually stick to the computer these days. What kind of stationery do you like best? The fancy, formal kind?

Posted by Becke Davis (Becke Martin) | December 29, 2010, 7:56 pm
  8. Hey, Jen, great to meet you hanging out here! Loved the post! Actually I’m with you on the stationery whore thing. I covet the stuff. In fact, I’m really sad when I have to deface it with my awful chicken scratch handwriting. You know, when I come back in the next life, I hope I get handwriting like a 19th century romance heroine! I bet Jane Eyre didn’t have chicken scratch!

Posted by Anna Campbell | December 30, 2010, 9:55 pm
    • Hola Anna!

Having transcribed doctor’s orders, some of whom had abysmal handwriting, your chicken scratch is legible! And it’s nice to know I’m not the only stationery whore around here. Now, I’m trying to remember if there was a scene in Jane Eyre in which she pens a letter. Thanks for dropping by!

Posted by jennifer tanner | December 30, 2010, 10:54 pm
  9. Actually, Jen, your post was really apposite today. I’ve just written two letters on this gorgeous Georges Lalo French notepaper that was a present and it was SOOOO much prettier before I got writing on it. Sigh. I’m sure JE did write a letter – I mean, she had to apply for the job at Thornfield, didn’t she? And she couldn’t have done it over the internet!

Posted by Anna Campbell | December 30, 2010, 11:44 pm
    • Okay, Anna..I just Googled Georges Lalo and drooled at the assortment of papers. The sentiment and the lovely paper is more important than the handwriting. Happy New Year…in 2 + hours in Oz!

Posted by jennifer tanner | December 31, 2010, 4:24 am
      • Okay, now you ladies have me Googling Georges Lalo! I remember hearing Anne Stuart talk about loving the feel of a particular stationary in her RWA workshop this year. Gonna have to dig out the CD. I can’t remember the last time I sent a handwritten letter.

Anna, it’s so nice to see you here!

Posted by TraceyDevlyn | December 31, 2010, 6:52 am
  10. Jen, the Georges Lalo stationery is beautiful. My crit partner Annie West gave me the turquoise pad and envelopes as a present about a year ago and I found the most beautiful cafe au lait colored paper from GL when I was in New Zealand and I couldn’t resist buying it.

Hey, Tracey, it’s the first time I’ve ventured here! What a fun blog. Isn’t the Georges Lalo stationery beautiful? I think the Anne Stuart stuff was Clairfontaine. I must see if I can find it – as you have probably gathered, I’d crawl over broken glass for nice paper!

Happy New Year, girls!

Posted by Anna Campbell | December 31, 2010, 2:01 pm

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by carrie c spencer, Tracey Devlyn. Tracey Devlyn said: RT @RomanceUniv What Makes an Insomniac Tick? Getting to Know RU Faculty Jennifer Tanner http://bit.ly/gnm4C4 [...]