Posted On January 11, 2011 by Print This Post

Romance University in 2011

Today, we’re delighted to announce an incredible addition to the Romance University faculty, unveil details about what RU has in store for you during 2011 and share the deets on RU faculty members’ goals for this fantastic year.

Adrienne, Tracey and I have been so fortunate to find three terrific writers (and friends!) to join the Romance University faculty in the past year. Carrie Spencer has been with RU as a reader and regular commenter since the beginning. Carrie always brings energy, a witty joke and sometimes iced tea and vodka (just joking!) to the group. Jennifer Tanner and Heather Long have been spending time behind the scenes learning all the functions that keep RU up and running. However, you’ll see more of these two talented ladies this spring when they help bring you a stellar line-up of visiting professors.

Most recently, we lured Becke (Martin) Davis into the fold and are tickled pink to have her. Becke is an RWA-PRO, writing (or attempting to write!) contemporary romance, paranormal and romantic suspense. She’s a long-time garden writer and the author of six non-fiction books. She moderates Barnes & Noble’s Mystery Book Club at BN.com. Please help us welcome, Becke!

Now, I’m going to share a little secret with you…I was quite the high-kicker in my day, at least as high as a girl this short can kick. And I’m absolutely kicking up my heels at what 2011 means for Romance University. Sourcebooks will release Tracey’s debut book, A Lady’s Revenge, in October, and Adrienne will have two (yes, two!) books published by Carina Press. What could be better than all that?

Well, this year, RU will expand our focus to attract more of the reader (non-writer) population. One way we’ll do that is by hosting author chats, kicking off on January 20th with Carina Press author Amy Atwell. Expect our Behind the Publishing Scenes series to begin soon with Deb Werksman’s post on the acquisitions’ process. If you’re wondering what it takes to get published these days (I sure am!), be sure to tune in to our Debut Author series where we’ll talk with writers who will have their first books released this year. We will also be polling you, the RU readers, on what you like about RU and how we can improve. That survey will come with the chance to win a prize or two. For those of you who are social media butterflies, we’ll see you on Twitter and Facebook more often.

Lest you think all the RU faculty members do is craft an (hopefully) educational and entertaining site for you, we wanted to share our main individual goals for 2011.

Adrienne’s Goals:

• Finish Billy and Jillian’s story by October 1
  • Sell a ton of books so Carina will know they made the right choice by taking a chance on a newbie
  • Take at least three workshops to improve my writing
  • Expand the RU audience to include readers as well as writers

Becke’s goals:

• Complete the revisions on my current story and push it through to the end
  • Treat my writing with respect by scheduling more time for it
  • Keep plugging away even when Imposter Syndrome strikes

Carrie’s Goals:

• Finish three half-completed manuscripts
  • Start the agent search
  • Take plotting classes until it sticks in my head
  • Oh, and wait patiently by the phone for Jen Enderlin. I’m here, Jen!! just waiting for your call!! =)

Heather’s Goals:

• Continue the weight loss begun in 2010 (lost over 50 lbs) by exercising regularly and eating healthy – Whoot! Way to go, Heather!
  • Read and write every day
  • Continue my graduate studies in my pursuit of an MBA
  • Add to my two January 2011 releases with a new Chance Monroe novel, another anthology (or three) and much more

Jen’s Goals:

• Start my new manuscript
  • Start submitting my completed manuscript
  • Continue to write every day

Kelsey’s Goals:

• Seek out ways, writing or non-writing, to enhance and express my creativity
  • Plot and write draft of a new book
  • Assess writing weaknesses, make plan to improve, and implement

Tracey’s Goals:

• Deliver two finished manuscripts on deadline
  • Develop and implement a marketing plan for Book 1 to help grow my readership

RU crew, what do you love about RU and how would you like to see us improve? Also – share your 2011 goals and help us welcome Becke!

Be sure to stop by Wednesday when radio personality Bruce Allen will illustrate differences in gender communication through dialogue. Sure to be enlightening!

Kelsey Browning

Kelsey’s Bio:

Kelsey Browning writes contemporary and paranormal romance with a hint of southern sizzle. She’s a co-founder of Romance University blog where the mission is to empower writers, entertain readers and understand men. In her former life, she worked at one of the ten largest universities in the U.S., raising money and teaching students how to land their dream jobs. Now, she pursues her dream job of writing, which provides excellent benefits such as unlimited coffee and an office dress code that includes flip flops. Originally from Texas, and after four years in the Middle East, she now lives in Southern California with her IT-savvy husband, baseball-obsessed son and seriously spoiled dog. Visit her at: www.KelseyBrowning.com.

Publishing Career

53 Responses to “Romance University in 2011”

1. Wow, we’ve got a lot going on!

Heather, congrats on you two January releases! A little birdie told me your anthology Seven Souls-a-Leaping debuted at #1 on your publisher’s selling list in early January. Yay!

Becke, welcome to RU!! We’re so darned happy to have you join us.

Posted by TraceyDevlyn | January 11, 2011, 5:44 am
  2. Becke,

I’m so happy you’re here at RU! Grinning madly! It looks like we’re in store for a big year.

Posted by jennifer tanner | January 11, 2011, 7:25 am
  3. Congrats on all the achievements, as well as the new faculty! It sounds like lots of excitement around here. I’m sure 2011 is going to be a great year for everyone.

I have two books out on submission right now, so my focus is on them, not my goals. LOL But I’m working on a couple of new things, with the goal of having them ready to send to my agent at the end of the month.

Posted by Donna Cummings | January 11, 2011, 7:40 am
  4. Morning all..

Welcome Becke! We’re happy to have you with us! =)

Donna, best of luck with your submissions!

Happy 2011 everyone!

=)

Posted by Carrie Spencer | January 11, 2011, 7:50 am
  5. Congrats to Heather, Adrienne & Tracey! It’s an awesome year. I look forward to the changes and to reading new member Becke’s post. And of course, Amy Atwell’s.

Posted by Edie Ramer | January 11, 2011, 8:35 am
  6. Thank you for such a wonderful welcome! I’m thrilled to be joining the RU team! I’ve been following RU since it first debuted and have always been impressed with the quality of the content here. I think RU followers will be very impressed with the 2011 schedule.

Congratulations on all your sales (and soon-to-be-sales)! I’m honored to be joining such a brilliant group of writers, and I hope you all sprinkle some of your sparkly book-selling (and book COMPLETING) stardust on me!

Heather – HUGE congratulations on the weight loss. It’s a constant battle for me, especially since my day jobs also include sitting in front of the computer. I’m going to add losing weight to my goals. It’s always a goal, in truth, but now it’s public – treadmill, here I come!

About the exclamation points: I promise my professional writing isn’t as sprinkled with them as my comments are. I can’t seem to “talk” without them, especially when I’m so excited!!

Posted by Becke Martin/Davis | January 11, 2011, 8:44 am
  7. Yippee, Becke will be a great addition! Wonderful news.

Posted by Tonya | January 11, 2011, 9:29 am
  8. Wow. I knew we had a lot happening, but seeing it all in one place is a little mind-boggling.

I am so excited for RU’s 2011 plan! Thank you to my wonderful blogmates who make this endeavor such fun. You guys are the best! To Tracey and Kelsey, thank you for always pushing me to do better, for encouraging me during the dark times and for taking this journey with me. I’ll never forget it. MWAH!

Posted by Adrienne Giordano | January 11, 2011, 9:35 am
  9. Happy new year, ladies!

What a great group you are and I truly appreciate all of the resources and fun you bring to my writing life!

Here’s to a wonderful 2011 and beyond…

Cheers,

Tracy 🙂

Posted by Tracy Mastaler / Tracy March | January 11, 2011, 12:31 pm
  10. Becke, YAY YOU!!! congrats my friend. RU has made a very wise choice.
    Deb

Posted by debbie haupt | January 11, 2011, 1:44 pm
  11. Wow, that was a huge lot of amazing announcements! Congratulations, Tracey and Adrienne! And I love all the new faculty members, especially Becke who’s one of my favorite people. Look forward to joining in all the fun in 2011! Good luck to all of you in achieving your goals!

Posted by Anna Campbell | January 11, 2011, 1:46 pm
  12. That’s a LOT of great stuff on the horizon for 2011. It’s bound to be a great year. Hooray.

Thanks, RU, for all the great resources and for continuing to raise the bar to bring us even more! Yippeee.

See you here, twitter, facebook and where all the cool chicks hang out 🙂
    Nancy

Posted by Nancy Naigle | January 11, 2011, 2:58 pm
  13. Wow, lots to celebrate! Conratulations.

May I just say – like you didn’t know – that you’ve made a brilliant choice in Becke? She’s the most connected person I know, a tireless worker, and fun. Looking forward to seeing what you do with her. 😉

Posted by Jan O'Hara | January 11, 2011, 3:06 pm
  14. Wow! What a terrific lineup for 2011!!!
    Glad to see the new RU faculty–AND Huge congratulations to Tracey and Adrienne.
    Going to be a memorable year!

Posted by Barb H | January 11, 2011, 3:28 pm
  15. Wonderful news Becke! I’ll look forward to browsing here. I’m working through the newest chapter today and really enjoying it.

Posted by JulieB | January 11, 2011, 6:54 pm
  16. WoW! awesome happenings on one of my favorite sites! You guys jsut keep getting better and better. Robin

Posted by Robin Covington | January 11, 2011, 7:38 pm
  17. Nancy,
    I don’t know how I missed your announcement earlier. Congratulations!!! You certainly did have a great 2010!! Way to go.

Posted by Barb H | January 11, 2011, 9:39 pm

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by carrie c spencer, gone writing. gone writing said: 2011 – the year of romance and great fun! Romance University in 2011 http://bit.ly/hWLFKt […]

2. […] excited to report that I’ve just joined the staff at Romance University.  My introduction is here. Part of my responsibilities at RU will be inviting guest authors and “visiting […]