Posted On June 9, 2011 by Print This Post

Lady Jane’s Salon: An RWA Extravaganza by Hope Tarr

We have a special treat for our readers today. Hope Tarr, author and co-founder of Lady Jane’s Salon, is here to share the details of the Salon’s special extravaganza scheduled for the end of the month.

Welcome back to RU, Hope!

Lady Jane’s Salon Welcomes RWA to The Big Apple

By Hope Tarr, Lady Jane’s Salon Co-Founder

Author Photo by BizUrban.com

New York City’s first—and so far only—monthly reading series dedicated to romance, Lady Jane’s Salon (www.LadyJaneSalon.com) is privileged and proud to welcome the attendees of the Romance Writers of America’s annual national conference to yes, The Big Apple.

Since my co-founders Leanna Renee Hieber, Maya Rodale, Ron Hogan (Beatrice.com) and I launched the Salon two-and-a-half years ago, we’ve garnered press coverage in TIME OUT NEW YORK and THE NEW YORK POST as well as hosted several special salon events, including a tribute party in honor of Harlequin’s 60th Anniversary and others to coincide with Book Expo America and Thriller Fest. The opportunity to welcome RWA attendees to both New York City and the Salon is a very special thrill.

Seeing red--the marquis at Madame X, our beloved host venue in Soho

To help kick start the conference, we’re departing from our usual first Monday of the month time slot and instead holding the Salon on the last Monday of the month, June 27th, as well as extending the event by one hour, from 7-10 PM, to accommodate the extended program of guest readers.

That program reads like a romance reader’s wish list! Our Dream Team for the night includes six shining stars of romance: Salon Co-Founder Leanna Renee Hieber, Sarah MacLean, Dianna Love, Karen Rose, Carrie Lofty W/A Ellen Connor, and Eloisa James! Each author will read from her latest release for 10 to 15 minutes. There will be a mid-program intermission during which attendees are free to mingle with fellow romance fans, authors, and industry professionals, enjoy another beverage, and purchase our guest authors’ books; the latter personally signed, but of course.

But that’s not all. There is also a Super Secret Special Guest popping in to read! Who is s/he? You’ll have to come out to find out.

Salon Co-Founder Hope Tarr and guest reader Marjorie M. Liu

Like all Lady Jane’s Salons, this June’s special event will be held at our host venue, Madame X (94 West Houston Street, between Thompson and LaGuardia), the sexy Soho hot spot we’ve been happy to call home for two-and-a-half years and counting. As you step inside, be prepared to see red, lots of red. Everything is draped in it. To round out your mental picture, think Victorian salvaged antiques, faux animal prints, and red-flocked walls bedecked with erotic photography and naughty artwork guaranteed to bring a blush to the cheek of even the most stalwart romance writer and reader.

It's always a party at Lady Jane's Salon, NYC's first and only monthly romance reading series

Every Lady Jane’s Salon is open to the public, and June’s is no exception. $5 or one gently used romance novel gets you in the door, and all books and money collected support an end-of-year donation to a New York City women’s charity. Our 2010 recipient was Women-in-Need (www.women-in-need.org), a NYC group that helps formerly homeless women and their families find their own Happily Ever After. (Note: industry peeps, namely editors and agents, are admitted for free).

So, if you’re planning to be in New York City on June 27th, for the conference or vacation or maybe you just actually live here, I hope you’ll put Lady Jane’s on your calendar. It’s going to be quite a party.

And who doesn’t love that?

So who is going to RWA Nationals in New York City? Will we see you at Lady Jane’s? Do you have, or know of, a reading group similar to Lady Jane’s?

On Monday, Carina Press author Wynter Daniels gives us the lowdown on how writers can access credible medical information.

Hope’s Bio:

Lady Jane’s Salon Co-Founder, Hope Tarr is the author of fifteen historical and contemporary romance novels, one novella, and numerous nonfiction articles. She is also the Co-Creator of the award-winning Beer Gardens NYC app, the first app for beer gardens in the U.S. Visit Hope online at www.HopeTarr.com, www.WriterNYC.com, www.BeerGardensNYC.com and www.LadyJaneSalon.com.

Fun Stuff

25 Responses to “Lady Jane’s Salon: An RWA Extravaganza by Hope Tarr”

1. I sooo wanted to be there, but I can’t make it next year. I hope you all take a lot of pictures!

Posted by Becke Martin Davis | June 10, 2011, 1:03 am
  2. Hi Hope!

Thanks so much for stopping by and giving us the scoop on the Salon. I’m SO excited to finally be able to attend a reading.

Such a great line-up for June 27. Can you tell those of us who are going what we should wear and the best way to get there from the hotel?

Thanks!

Posted by TraceyDevlyn | June 10, 2011, 4:32 am
  3. I’ll be there! I’m looking forward to my first visit to Lady Jane’s Salon!

Posted by pjpuppymom | June 10, 2011, 5:57 am
  4. Hi Hope,

What a great idea! Speaking of pictures, maybe Tracey will share hers when she gets back.

Posted by Mary Jo Burke | June 10, 2011, 6:57 am
  5. Hi Hope. I’m so excited to be able to attend the reading. I’ve wanted to do this for some time!

Is there anything we need to do beforehand? Reservations? Or do we just show up at the door?

Thanks for being here today!

Posted by Adrienne Giordano | June 10, 2011, 7:22 am
  6. Good morning, Hope!

I’m so glad we’re able to help spread the news about Lady Jane’s Salon prior to RWA. Tracey, Adrienne and I will be there with bells on!

Any dos and don’ts or protocol folks should know about attending the reading? Cash and/or credit cards in order to buy books?

Thanks so much for being with us today!

Posted by Kelsey Browning | June 10, 2011, 7:27 am
  7. Morning Hope…

Sounds like it’s going to be a fantastic time….and great authors! I’ll drool through Kelsey’s, Tracey’s and Adrienne’s photos on all the fun I’ll miss out on this year….=)

Posted by Carrie Spencer | June 10, 2011, 7:46 am
  8. Hope – I’m so jealous! I’ll be at Nationals but will not arrive until Tuesday. Bummer! Tracey and Adrienne will have to give me the scoop.

Posted by Robin Covington | June 10, 2011, 8:03 am
  9. G’morning or rather Happy Afternoon:

Foremost, Tracey many thanks for inviting me back to Romance U to blog on one of my favorite things: Lady Jane’s!

The Salon site, Madame X in Soho, is easily reachable from the RWA Con hotel by taxi (tell the driver the driver it’s 94 W Houston between Thompson & LaGuardia)–cross street is key in NYC Landia) or by Subway.

I’m a big fan of HopStop.com which will give you directions from A to B for subway, cab, and walking.

No reservations are required. We do take a $5 admission fee at the door. Net proceeds support an EoY donation to a NYC women’s charity. Alternatively you can bring one gently used pbk romance novel.

The bar is cash. House specialty cocktails and rail beer/wine run $5-$6: a bargain anywhere but especially in NYC.

Non tipplers will find available the usual array of sodas, juices, and sparkling water.

As to the eternal question of what to wear, the short answer is whatever you feel comfortable in. There’s no dress code. That said, if you’re asking for my *personal*
    recommendation, I’d say business casual or what I like to call casual chic.

And of course we’re in New York, so you can never miss with a little black anything. ;)

Posted by Hope Tarr | June 10, 2011, 11:06 am
  10. Sorry you can’t make it, Robin! Hopefully another time.

PJPuppy and Adrienne, I’m so pleased you’ll be joining us for your first visit. Please be sure to say hi on your way in. I’ll be the pushy brunette strong-arming you for your cash and books at the door. :)

Posted by Hope Tarr | June 10, 2011, 11:11 am
  11. Speaking of the “door,” please note that the Salon takes place on the *second* floor of Madame X. There should be signage directing you that night and the door will be marked and standing open. Follow the crowd…and the noise. :)

Posted by Hope Tarr | June 10, 2011, 11:12 am
  12. I love Lady Jane’s. There are always great authors line up. See you all there.–mcf

Posted by Maria Ferrer | June 10, 2011, 12:16 pm
  13. Thanks, Maria. So glad you can make it to our big blow out Salon night.

And folks, please take a moment to give Maria a cyber toast. In the midst of being our editor extraordinaire for RWA/NYC’s monthly newsletter (which releases to members year-round, no summers off), and her full time job, she’s just made her first sale!!!

Posted by Hope Tarr | June 10, 2011, 12:45 pm
  14. Hi Hope! This sounds fabulous.

I’ve had the pleasure of reading at Lady Jane’s twice now and can say it is a “must do.” What a wonderful venue, and being able to read aloud evokes so many memories that you can’t help but be transported.;)

Can’t wait to attend! See you then!

Posted by C.H. Admirand | June 10, 2011, 2:43 pm
  15. Hope (and everyone)–

Thank you so much for joining us today! For those of you going to the Salon on the 27th, please be sure to say hello to Adrienne, Kelsey and I!

See you in a few weeks, Hope!

Posted by Tracey Devlyn | June 10, 2011, 8:52 pm
  16. I’m planning to be there . . . IF I can find my way from the Conference Hotel to Soho. My first trip to NYC, so it’s all a bit of a challenge.

Posted by jo bourne | June 11, 2011, 10:43 am
  17. Yay! Thanks for this awesome post, Hope! As a LJS co-founder I’m so proud and excited that we’re able to celebrate alongside RWA Nationals, and to offer the chance for folks who may have heard about our awesome LJS community to see it first hand! Can’t wait to share it with all of you!

Posted by Author Leanna Renee Hieber | June 11, 2011, 11:22 am
  18. PS – Please note: I’ll also be a reader on the 27th! I’ll be reading from the third installment in my Strangely Beautiful saga, The Perilous Prophecy of Guard and Goddess! (A prequel!) See you there!

Posted by Author Leanna Renee Hieber | June 11, 2011, 1:04 pm
  19. Thanks for making the fix, Tracey, and the fault was mine entirely. We always leave out the ones we love. Leanna’s books are nothing short of magical and hopefully we’ll have the added treat of her giving her reading in her lovely Victorian garb.

Posted by Hope Tarr | June 11, 2011, 2:06 pm
  20. Okay, I may be in! Tentatively planning the trip from the hotel on the R line to Prince St. Stop in and worship at McNally Jackson. Pause a few feet before the door at Madame X’s to stick my tennies in my too-large bag and put on the cute shoes. And then, after tipsy fun at LJS, make my way to a night viewing of NYC from the Empire State Building.

I can do this. I know I can.

Posted by Keri Stevens | June 19, 2011, 6:41 pm