Posted On June 20, 2011 by Print This Post

Kate Douglas on Ending a Series

How many times have you, as a reader, mourned the end of a favorite long-running series? It’s hard to say good-bye to characters we’ve come to know over the years. As best-selling author Kate Douglas explains, it can be even harder on the author.

On Ending a Series…
It doesn’t kill the characters, but it can be hell on authors.

On June 28, the final book in my long-running Kensington Aphrodisia series, WOLF TALES, will release. The title is Wolf Tales 12, but it’s actually the twenty-first story in the series when you add up all the novellas in the one Wild Nights and eight Sexy Beast anthologies. I’ve lived with many of these characters since 2004 when I wrote the first story in my new serial for Changeling Press. Kensington contracted the first six short novellas in 2005, combined five of them into the first Wolf Tales and the sixth became the opening for the first novella, Chanku Rising. The first Wolf Tales launched the new Aphrodisia line when it officially released in January 2006, and featured Alexandria Olanet, Stefan Aragat, Oliver (no last name at the time) Keisha Rialto, and Anton Cheval. The final page of the final book will come full circle, returning once again to Anton, but so many things have happened to those characters of mine over the years that writing that final scene was like writing an obituary for a beloved family member.

Except Anton is fine, and I’m the one dealing with depression. I hear from so many readers who have grown attached to the various characters they’ve met between the pages—not only in my books but in so many others where long-running series feature many of the same characters in story after story. They tell me how sad it is, to read the final book and know that may be the last time they read about new adventures for their favorites.

You think it’s hard for you? Try writing a final scene for someone you’ve essentially lived with for years.

Trust me—it ain’t easy. I got so caught up in the telling of Wolf Tales 12 that for the period of time when I was actually writing it, and discovering answers to so many questions my readers had posed, I didn’t really think about writing that final scene. My editor had asked me for a bigger book, which left me free to explore a lot of different things I hadn’t thought I’d have room for, and I really got caught up in the story. So many things happen—there’s a new character I hadn’t seen coming, and things happen that I really wasn’t expecting, but that’s the fun stuff. Writing for those of us who don’t really plot is all about the discovery—sitting down and channeling a character and letting them tell their story.

Well, my characters ran me ragged in this last book. The minute I’d think something was tied into a neat little package, something else would happen, or another voice would start nagging me and I’d end up switching gears. But finally, I got to the very end, and I didn’t know how to finish it. The original ending I’d envisioned happens about half way through the book, so that messed me up, and then some other stuff happened that wasn’t even on my radar, and that took the story in a whole new direction, with new problems to solve and new issues to deal with, but finally I knew it was time.

And I knew, that of all the characters I’d gotten to know, of all the ones I’d climbed inside of for this amazing ride, it would have to be Anton Cheval who brought down the final curtain. He’s been my constant companion throughout the series—he wasn’t the star originally. No, that was Stefan Aragat. I really thought that Stefan and Xandi were going to be the ones in charge, but Anton does not share the spotlight well at all. He barged in long before I expected to even add another character, when Stefan and Xandi went to him in the first book to ask him to remove the curse that left Stef caught half-way between human and wolf.

Only it wasn’t a curse at all, as those of you who’ve read the stories know. It was Stefan’s inability to complete his shift because he’d not had enough of the nutrients, but Anton’s vicious sexual attack, one that Stefan finally admits he wanted, changed the entire course of the series. That wasn’t planned, but it brought Anton front and center while setting the dynamics for all the sexual relationships to come. Once Anton had the stage, he refused to relinquish his spot.

Thank goodness. When I look back at the series, Anton is the muscle and brains, but his mate, Keisha, is the heart and the glue that holds the pack together. Between the two of them, with Stefan and Xandi’s support, with Adam and Oliver, Mik, AJ, Luc, Ulrich, Tinker, Jake and Baylor, and yes, Igmutaka and all the others, I have a feeling the pack will continue.

I am working on a series about the children and I still have hopes of finding a home for it somewhere. I really have to tell their stories, and the first one, of course, will be Lily’s. She’s one of the stars of Wolf Tales 12, as is a seriously disabled woman named Sunny Daye. In fact, everyone from the entire series shows up in the final book, and since it takes place five years after Wolf Tales 11, you’ll get to meet a lot of the newest members of the pack. Think about it—with all that sex, you’re going to get a lot of babies!

I do hope you enjoy this final book. I finished writing it almost a year ago and yet I still find myself thinking of Anton and the others as if they’re old friends I haven’t seen for a while. Which makes me wonder—who are some of the characters in books that have stuck with you? I can think of dozens, and I really want to hear about the ones you’ve kept close.

Wolf Tales 12 from Kate Douglas on Vimeo.

Do you read a lot of series books? How do you feel when the series comes to an end?

Join us on Wednesday, June 22 when Samhain Publishing’s Managing Editor Lindsey Faber talks about the differences in epublishing and traditional publishing from a publisher’s standpoint.

Bio:

Some people know what they’re meant to write. Kate Douglas was not one of them. She started out writing commercials for a country western radio station in 1972, wrote and illustrated an educational cartoon strip for a number of years, was a newspaper reporter for a small town weekly, and then, in the mid-1980s, decided to write her first romance.

Many submissions and rejections followed, but she’s proof perseverance pays off.

Kate currently has twenty-two novels and twenty novellas and short stories published or due for release. She is working on her new Aphrodisia series, Dream Catchers, as well as a short digital-only series, Demon Lovers. The first story, Unbalanced, released (ebook only) on June 15.

Kate and her husband of almost forty years have two adult children and five grandchildren, with number six on the way. They live in the beautiful mountains of Lake County, California, north of the Napa Valley wine country.

www.katedouglas.com and www.katedouglas.com/eroticromance for full chapter excerpts of all of Kate’s books.

You can find Kate on Facebook at www.facebook.com/katedouglas.authorpage or on Twitter @wolftales

Email her at kate@katedouglas.com

Craft of Writing

56 Responses to “Kate Douglas on Ending a Series”

1. Hi Kate – Yes, I DO read series. I prefer them — after I’ve fallen in love with a world and a family of characters, I really want to stay there as long as I can. It’s not unlike a favorite TV series versus a movie with no sequels.

Congrats on creating a fabulous long-running much-loved series — your books will be on many, many keeper shelves!

Posted by Dani Harper | June 20, 2011, 10:14 am
    • Hi all. We’re having some technical difficulties today and lost a few comments. I’m going to paste the comments in with the name of the person who made the original comment at the top.

Posted by AdrienneGiordano | June 20, 2011, 11:12 am
    • Thanks very much, Dani. Funny how series develop, ya know? I really never expected this one to run as long as it has.

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 1:01 pm
    • Kate, Yes, I do love series. But so far the ones that I have become attached to have not ended. Sadly all 3 will end soon though. Elizabeth Amber’ Lords of Satyr has only one more book (that I am aware of (Sevin). Cheryl Brooks Sci-Fi is currently on book 7 with only one more scheduled (that I am aware of). And my very favorite is, of course, Wolf Tales. So yours will be the first that ends and I find that so sad as it truely is my favorite. I lend these books to No-one. I keep hoping that you get the go-ahead for the second generation and that you up-date us on the first generation. I will sorely miss them all.
      Betty

Posted by Betty Hamilton | June 21, 2011, 6:06 am
  2. Hello Kate!

I love reading books in a series. One that comes to mind is Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. Knowing I wouldn’t be reading a series if I didn’t enjoy the author’s work, I’m always a bit sad when the series comes to an end.

As far as characters that have stayed with me over the years…a few heros from the older Sandra Brown books and most of SEP’s characters.

Thanks so much for being with us today.

Posted by Jennifer Tanner | June 20, 2011, 11:11 am
    • Jennifer,

I have to agree with the characters in SEP’s stories! Of course, as often as I’ve reread her books, that’s probably why! Susan Wiggs is another whose characters stick with me, and Robyn Carr’s guys from her Virgin River series. When they’re done right, they ARE real people!

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 11:15 am
  3. Welcome back, Kate!

I also love reading books that are part of a series. There have been a few times when I was okay with the series coming to an end. Mostly though, if I love the characters, I almost go through a mourning period.

Thanks for hanging out with us, Kate!

Posted by AdrienneGiordano | June 20, 2011, 11:13 am
    • LOL…I think my husband was ready to ship me off to foreign climes when I wrote this last book. I went through a horrible depression and moped around for a couple of weeks. Then I started a new book, which is the ultimate cure for mourning fictional characters. I still think of Anton, though…

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 11:16 am
  4. Kate – I can’t believe you’ve written so many books in a relatively short period! It must have been especially hard to end the series after devoting so much time to developing the characters and their stories, and also because the books have such a following.

I still remember the first Wolf Tales book I read – I don’t remember which number it was, but it started with a car crash in a remote area during a blizzard. When the hero (Stephan) first appeared – wow! I was hooked. I’ve always had a thing for wolves and wolfish stories.

I’m looking forward to reading your new series, Kate – I wish you great success with both of them!

Posted by Becke Martin Davis | June 20, 2011, 11:15 am
    • Hi Becke!

That was the very first book, when Xandi crashed her car and Stefan rescued her. When I wrote that one, I had no idea where the series was going–at all! It was all about discovery in the beginning, but I’ve certainly had fun with it.

And the reason I’ve been able to write so many books over the past six years (29 novels and novellas at this point) is that I have no life. None. Why do you think I spend so much time on Facebook?

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 11:16 am
      • Kate – I can’t believe I actually started with the first book! That hardly ever happens. I’ve read a lot of others since then, but I know I haven’t read all 29. I’ll have to backtrack!

Posted by BeckeMartinDavis | June 20, 2011, 11:19 am

Wolf Tales 9
          Sexy Beast VIII–Chanku Spirit
          Wolf Tales 10
          Wolf Tales 11
          Wolf Tales 12 June 28, 2011

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 2:16 pm
          • I’ve read quite a few of these – not quite so intimidating when you see them listed like this!

Posted by BeckeMartinDavis | June 20, 2011, 2:25 pm
          • What’s funny Becke is that if someone had told me how many I was going to have to write, I would have totally freaked! Writing them one at a time, not a big deal…

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 3:43 pm
  5. Now I’m worried if I got those details right. I never trust my memory!

Posted by Becke Martin Davis | June 20, 2011, 11:15 am
  6. Kate –

As do most readers, I love books in the a series. A series gives me the opportunity to get the stories behind the secondary characters. One thing I notice as a reader is that a secondary who isn’t particularly likable in a book becomes more sympathetic in his/her own book. This works if the writer keeps certain consistencies. But there are times I haven’t really “bought” the change.

I’m with Jen in that I love the Outlander series. Sherilyn Kenyon’s Dark Hunter series also comes to mind. Oh, and Adrienne’s Private Protector series is going to be fabulous!

As a writer, I just seem to think in series mode. I’ve yet to write a book when I didn’t have secondary characters I could then spin into the primary role.

Thanks so much for being with us today!

Posted by Kelsey Browning | June 20, 2011, 11:16 am
    • Thanks, Kelsey.

And you’re right about not always accepting that “altered” secondary character! They have to have a spark of hero in the introductory story, or it’s hard to buy a big personality change. On the other hand, characters will haunt an author–I’ve had a couple do that when I wasn’t intending to give them their own story. Most recently it was Mark Connor in Dime Store Cowboy, a novella in Lori Foster’s anthology, THE PROMISE OF LOVE. Mark appeared in one of my first books, COWBOY IN MY POCKET, and he was the guy who didn’t get the girl. BUT, he bugged me throughout the entire ten years until I finally gave him his own romance. It’s a really short novella, only 12,000 words, but it finally shut him up!

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 11:17 am
  7. Hi Kate,

I like Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum, J D Robb’s Eve Dallas, and Laurell Hamilton’s Anita Blake and Merry Gentry. Love Outlander too. My question is how do you know it will be a series when you’re writing? Did you present it as a series? Did the editor ask you to develop different story lines?

Posted by Mary Jo Burke | June 20, 2011, 11:18 am
    • In my case, Mary Jo, my editor liked the first short stories that became the first of the print books from Kensington Aphrodisia, but she asked me to add more characters and see what I could come up with, in a more traditional book-length form. She didn’t give me any direction, and I’m thankful for the freedom to create my own series, but essentially I just keyed into the characters and asked them “whatsup?”

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 1:04 pm
  8. Morning Kate!

It has to be so hard to say goodbye, especially if the characters seem to be with you on a day to day basis….I know mine pop up in my dreams and when I’m driving, etc.

My series favorites are Stephanie Plum and Eve Dallas, the Chesapeake series (and almost any others) from Nora…SEP’s and Outlander. Well, heck, I guess there’s a bunch of them….lol….

Thanks for being with us today!

Posted by Carrie Spencer | June 20, 2011, 11:20 am
    • I’ve never read Stephanie Plum or Eve Dallas and I know I would probably love them. My problem is the lack of time and the number of good books! I’m totally hooked on Robyn Carr, SEP, Nalini Singh, Angela Knight, Christine Feehan, Meljean Brook, Jayne Ann Krentz…and the list goes on. Just keeping up with all the prolific authors I already follow takes all my reading time, and I keep finding more!

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 11:26 am
  9. Hi Kate, I do love series books as well and I get so wrapped up in them that I absolutely have to get them all. I stumbled across your Wolf Tales series in of all places a thrift store! Needles to say I now have to get them all. My all time fav character is Vischous from JR Wards Black Dagger Brotherhood series.

Posted by Stacy | June 20, 2011, 11:21 am
    • I’ve found a lot of favorite authors in thrift stores! That’s how I discovered Christine Feehan-digging through piles of books at the Salvation Army & found The Scarletti Curse. And I was hooked! I’m also really a fan of JR Ward’s BDB. Wonderful stories, but I love all the characters. Whatever book of hers I”m reading is always my favorite.

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 1:07 pm
  10. i love Kerrelyn Sparks- The Love at Stake series!! i also love Lynsay Sands- The Argeneau Series!! Hannah Howell- The Highland Series (The Murray Family novels)! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE WOLF TALES SERIES!! I HATE TO SEE IT END BUT HAVE ALL HOPES TO SEE THE NEW GENERATION SERIES!! I’m excited about reading the Dream Catcher books also!! KATE YOU ARE AN AMAZING AUTHOR AND THANK YOU FOR CARING ABOUT YOUR FANS!!

Posted by Trisha Rupert | June 20, 2011, 11:22 am
    • Thank you, Trisha.

I will never get used to the idea that I’m doing what I love and it’s actually my “job!” I never once imagined any of this, and if you read my books, you KNOW I have a good imagination! I’m actually working on the new generations series and have four chapters of Lily’s book written. It will come out somewhere, come hell or high water. I have too much invested in this world to walk away from it, and too many stories I want to tell.

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 11:22 am
  11. Hey Kate,
    I never thought about this from the authors perspective… It really gives my brain something to chew on. When a series ends you’ve “lived” so long in the characters worlds that you feel a tiny bit of your soul die (for lack of a better description) but wow to an author, that would be like trying to merge someone with split personality disorder or maybe schizophrenia. Essentially the characters are speaking to you in your head(you just happen to know the difference) but just because they aren’t getting anymore books doesn’t mean they quit talking. What you really have to do is convince yourself to let them go. Kind of like Brett Farve retiring, he really knew when to retire but he let other people convince him to come back, took what they threw at him money or glory or whatever. But had he stayed retired when he first decided to he would have gone out on top of the world with everyone saying he could have played a few more years.

Posted by Nicole Passante | June 20, 2011, 12:19 pm
    • LOL…I’m laughing at the Bret Farve perspective…does that mean I SHOULDN’T do the second generation? I actually have the first four chapters, and it’s fun writing Anton from Lily’s perspective. She sees him as a loving but overbearing, overprotective father who can’t understand why she doesn’t want Alex for a mate….but what woman would want to marry the guy she shared a crib with? I’m enjoying this one so far, and I still get to visit Anton, though from Lily’s point of view.

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 2:18 pm
      • Oh no no no, I should have specified, only Brett knew in his heart whether or not he should have kept playing or… retired and had kids to take over and kept the dynasty alive ;-)

Posted by Nicole Passante | June 21, 2011, 8:25 am
  12. I love series books. My feelings are mixed. Sometimes, a series ends, and it feels right. I’m thankful to have spent time with those characters.

Other times, I want more. I want to know about secondary characters who haven’t yet told their stories, or I want to know what happens next with characters I love. (This is particularly hard with romance because once they have their HEA, the only way to continue the series is to find someone else to have an HEA, break up the happy couple so they can have new HEAs, or move to another genre.)

Some series go on too long. After a while the characters are stale, the plots trite and I want the author to stop. Doesn’t happen often but it has happened.

Posted by PatriciaW | June 20, 2011, 12:25 pm
    • That’s something I worked really hard on with Wolf Tales–keeping the stories from growing stale. By having so many characters it was easy to focus on different issues, so I think that helped. I hope it did!

Sometimes a secondary character is meant to be just that–secondary. I thought that’s what Oliver would be–the quiet personal assistant to Anton, but after a few books he insisted that his voice be heard, and then when Adam showed up, there was not quieting Oliver down until he got his own story. I love it when that happens.

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 2:21 pm
  13. Oh and to answer your question, I am going to miss Rose & Demetri from Vampire Academy. Yes I read your series religiously and YA, I am a woman of contradictions!
    Anyway the Vamp Academy books were an amazing journey and I will miss them.
    Mead new series Bloodlines will spin off (kind of like your 2nd Gen series) But you will always have that special place in your heart for the first ;-)

Posted by Nicole Passante | June 20, 2011, 12:30 pm
  14. Aloha Kate,

We all mourn with you.

The characters you so beautifully brought to life resonate with us, your readers, long after the book is read and put on our keeper shelf.

And while we like to think they continue on with their lives after a series comes to an end, it just seems harder to believe than watching a tv series fade away. I guess because at heart, you keep them alive and growing and moving forward.

So thank you for doing that for us. And thank you for answering the questions we’ve had about them too.

Much aloha and mahalo to you and let’s hope that the powers that be realize that we will be in the bookstores buying Lily’s story and those of the second generation Chanku!

Posted by Jay | June 20, 2011, 12:35 pm
    • And poor Jay, who is one of my wonderful beta readers, has had to listen to me whimper for MONTHS! I can just hear her, quietly and to herself because she’s much too nice to tell me straight out, saying, Sheesh! Get OVER IT already!

Thanks, darlin’…especially because she’s NOT too nice not to tell me when I’ve screwed something up, which is a very good thing.

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 2:24 pm
      • You make it very easy to do, Kate. Lol, well, the whole point of making sure your writing is on target is really very selfish on my part. I want you to keep on writing wonderful stories. Lol.

And no, we really do mourn with you. But uh, Kate, you need to get a box of kleenex. Crying on my shoulder has created a huge water stain on my shirt. *snort*

Posted by jay | June 20, 2011, 2:33 pm
        • Send me the cleaning bill…wait! You live in Hawaii…everything you own is wash and wear, right? :-) No sympathy from me, m’dear.

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 3:42 pm
          • Jeez, nothing gets past you, Kate.

And did I want sympathy? I think not. I just wanted another WT shirt… some people just can’t seem to take a hint. Ha ha ha ha!

Posted by jay | June 20, 2011, 6:47 pm
  15. I loved the Wolf Tales Series and will miss them so much it is like loseing my friends. You get to know them and share their lives and then they are gone. At least I have my Wolf Tales Books but I will always wonder How they all are. They will be missed. Yes I will keep reading all of your other series books as well as others.

Posted by Pam | June 20, 2011, 12:37 pm
  16. I love your books and think that it is a shame that the series is coming to an end. But I will reread them over and over again. It is lioke losing a part of the family. I hope that you get to write the next generation of wolfales. I would defenitly buy them. I love your writing.You keep writing I’ll keep reading.

Posted by Cindy Lyon | June 20, 2011, 4:33 pm
  17. Thanks, Cindy! I’m definitely still writing!!

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 4:39 pm
  18. HI Kate,
    I read many Series. And they’re still going strong. Well Cheryl Brooks in finishing Cat Star Chronicles. And I get that lump in my throat. But there’s nothing like these Wolves of the of Chanku. The raw sexuality unsurpassed. And I get so upset thinking it’s going to end. When I read Stefan and Xandi’s book. I said OMG, I needed that. And I needed the next 10 and all the anthologies and the Sexy beasts. And I need #12. But Kate 13 would be really lucky.

Posted by Donna Fournier | June 20, 2011, 4:53 pm
    • I didn’t know Cheryl was ending the series! I just bought Virgin…is that the last one? Hmmm…need to chat with Cheryl! Thanks so much, Donna. I’m hoping to keep writing something, somewhere about the Chanku!

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 9:54 pm
  19. Hi Kate,

So sorry I’m late to the party! Thank you for sharing your very personal journey to ending a series. Like many others, I’m a series girl. Love Christine Feehan, Kresley Cole, Lisa Kleypas, Johanna Lindsay, Eloisa James, Christina Dodd and so many more.

If you’ve already answered this question, please ignore me. :) Can you tell us what’s in store next? Maybe give us a hint about the story that pulled your from your “I’m really ending Wolf Tales!” depression.

I think it would be refreshing to start something new, but extremely scary, too.

Thanks again,

Posted by Tracey Devlyn | June 20, 2011, 7:04 pm
    • Tracey, it is scary, but exciting, too. I’ve written four chapters of a story I’m calling TO LOVE A DARK WOLF, which is the second generation story, but not sold yet. The other one I’m working on now is a series called DREAM CATCHERS, and it’s a total 180 from Wolf Tales. It’s about a race of people imprisoned on a starship–they are creatures of energy and are slaves who power the ship for another species of alien. One of the Nyrians (the good guys) makes contact with a human and they discover that they can draw strength from humans, especially from their sexual fantasies. The first story comes out in November in the NightShift anthology–it’s called Dream Catcher, and takes place in 1992. The series is set in the current world, but it’s all about the struggle to free all that’s left of the Nyrian civilization…and of course, there’s a lot of sex, and falling in love, and danger and all kinds of stuff that happens. I think it’s going to be a lot of fun, and I have to admit, I’m really enjoying writing it.

I’ve also just released a short novella called UNBALANCED as an ebook-about demon hunters–two men–and the human woman who keeps them from killing each other. It’s definitely a “short ‘n sexy” read, and hopefully the start of another series. I write fast–I really need to keep a lot of things going!

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 10:00 pm
  20. Hi, Kate! I like reading series. You seem to get to know the characters in much more depth. Your WT series is the one that has stayed with me the longest. Your writing is so vivid that I often find myself recalling various scenes from the series. Another series I liked was Anitra’s Harvest series (found it through you!).

I am soooo psyched to hear about the 4 chapters for Lily’s story. Can’t wait to read in your newsletter that it’s going to be published! And Lily and Alex as bonded mates? I’d say Lily and AJ’s son and Alex with Mic’s daughter. Would definitely solidify the relationships between the packs. Whatever happens, if you write it, I’ll read it!!

Posted by Maria E | June 20, 2011, 8:47 pm
    • Oh, no…Alex and Lily will NOT end up together. LIly’s already found a man who may or may not be Chanku, but he is a wizard and he might be into dark magic. She suspects that he’s the one who’s been attacking young women, but she’s not sure, and really bugged because she’s very attracted to him. And yes, I started working on this and it was SO hard not to keep going, but I’ve got a contract for Dream Catchers and need to get those books done first. Though the first one, PASSION THIEVES, is really ramping up quickly!

Last I looked, Alex was checking out one of Tinker’s daughters…and hoping Tinker doesn’t break his neck!

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 10:02 pm
  21. Kate-
    I just wanted to say how much I appeciate you always being so open and honest. I’ve bumped into you several times via the internet and you’re just really been lovely.
    Congratualtions on this next adventure in your writing career.

Posted by Shannon | June 20, 2011, 8:48 pm
  22. Thank you, Shannon. I think I feel as if those of you who read my books must already know me–you’re all like old friends in so many ways. I really don’t have much of a life beyond my writing and my spouse and the kids and grandkids. I rarely leave the house unless it’s to do a family thing or a conference! You guys are my social life whether you want to be or not!

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 10:04 pm
  23. Kate – Thank you so much for visiting with us today. I hope both of your new series are as successful as Wolf Tales has been!

Posted by Becke Martin/Davis | June 20, 2011, 10:05 pm
  24. Thanks, Becke! I sure hope so, though it’s asking a lot to try and catch lightning in a bottle twice–that’s how I always have felt with Wolf Tales. Something magical clicked for me when I was writing them, and even if it never happens again, I’ll at least have experienced it for the past five years. That’s pretty special.

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 20, 2011, 10:25 pm
  25. I firmly believe the magic is in YOU, so there’s every chance the new books will sparkle just as much!

Posted by Becke Martin/Davis | June 20, 2011, 10:30 pm
  26. Thank you Becke. Sometimes, when the writing is really intense, I’m convinced I’m channeling some of the characters. Anton is the one that affects me the most. It’s weird and wonderful at the same time!

And thank you so much for letting me have my evil way with your blog! This has been fun.

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 21, 2011, 8:02 am
  27. A series never ends really I was drawn to Wolf Tales at a time of
    great difficulty. Anton and his family showed me,no matter what life throws at you. Love and family
    will be there. Thank you.

Posted by Tracy V. Nickels | June 24, 2011, 5:55 pm
  28. Tracy, your note is a reminder that we never really know, as authors, just how our stories will affect people. Thank you so much for taking the time to write.

Posted by Kate Douglas | June 26, 2011, 9:20 am