Posted On August 22, 2011 by Print This Post

Jo Robertson presents The Wacky, Wonderful Writing Process

I’m so pleased to welcome debut author Jo Robertson to the RU campus! Jo’s first book, THE WATCHER, debuted on Amazon earlier this month. Here’s a quick blurb.

Forensic psychiatrist Kate Myers believes the killer of two teenage girls in Bigler County, California, is the same man who savagely murdered her twin sister over fifteen years ago. Working with a single-minded tenacity, she sets out to prove it.

Deputy Sheriff Ben Slater hides his personal pain behind the job, but Kate’s arrival in his county knocks his world on its axis. He wants to believe her wild theory, but the idea of a serial killer with the kind of pathology she proposes is too bizarre.

Together they work to find a killer whose roots began in a small town in Bigler County, but whose violence spread across the nation. A Janus-like killer, more monster than man, he fixates on Kate. The killer wants nothing more than to kill the “purple-eyed girl again.”

When it comes to writing processes, we each have our own method of madness. Today, Jo shares her modus operandi.

The Wacky, Wonderful Writing Process

How an author tackles the task of writing absolutely blows my mind.

The whole affair of starting, continuing, and finally finishing a book is a process that varies as widely as the number of writers. Even though I taught writing to sophomores and seniors in high school, I’m amazed at how different the writing process is.

Students virtually stop writing “stories” in middle school. By the time they reach high school, they’re encouraged to stop using first person narration and to stop penning “The End” at the completion of their papers. They no longer “tell stories,” but write expository essays – a form they will generally follow through their remaining school years.

It’s a shame really.

Narration and exposition are about as far apart as the proverbially Venus and Mars. However, unless a student takes a creative writing class, he pretty much won’t tell “stories” any more. As one educator phrased it, “You can’t haiku your way into the boardrooms of America.”

But what if you’re not interested in the boardrooms of America?

What if you want to be a “writer” writer? That’s sort of like running off to New York or Hollywood to be a Broadway actor or film star. Instead, you’ll likely be waiting on tables.

Expository writing is just what the name suggests – it explains or analyzes something. Anything from an article on how to establish a fan page to a description of a mountain pass to a college application essay falls into this category. Useful tools in corporate America.

I understand why we no longer teach “fun” writing in the upper grades; it’s not practical writing, and let’s face it, few students will become professional writers and actually earn a living with their books.

But wouldn’t it be wonderful if there were room in the curriculum where kids could metaphorically wiggle their fingers and toes in the mud, where they could draw on that creative side of their brains, find out what works for them, and explore the possibility of telling stories?

What if you just want to tell stories?

Fiction is narrative writing. It tells a story, has characters and setting and plot, theme and motif and point of view. Expository writing has far more structure, is easier to write (in my opinion), and easier to teach. There are logical rules and formulas for this kind of writing and one can be fairly successful at it without being either highly creative or particularly brilliant.

What if you want to be a genre fiction writer?

Narrative writing has fewer “rules” than exposition, and you’re actually allowed to “break” them as long as the story “works.” The narrative writing process is different for every person and varies as greatly as the number and species of North American birds. The standard of success is pleasing the reader.

Narrative writing comes primarily from the right side – the creative side – of the brain.  For success a writer usually has to turn off the left brain – that linear, analytical portion – and allow ideas and concepts to flow freely from the subconscious mind. This is the reason few writers turn out “good enough” rough drafts. The right brain doesn’t censor the writing, but allows it to fall like mud on the sidewalk – messy, dirty, and disorganized.

Some authors write in a linear, chronological manner, going from one point to the next until the “story” is complete. Others write in scenes, visceral moving scenes which come to mind like photo images. The writer may not even know where these scenes fit in the broad spectrum of the story, but she’s sure they’re important.

This is very organic writing, it’s messy and nonlinear, and it’s very uncomfortable for some writers, but I believe our best writing can come out of these scenes.

When I taught writing, I encouraged my students to use a process that works for both narration and exposition. I call it the Dump Version. It allows the writer to freely explore his initial response to the topic or assignment or plot. It’s sort of diarrhea on the page – get it all out in concrete words, ignoring order and mechanics and cohesion. Literally dump it on the page.

Later go back and add content as necessary – examples or experiences –or delete extraneous material. Now put the paper or story aside. Yes, hide it under the bed or in some stuffy old closet.

And forget about it.

Bring it out a month or two later and re-read what you’ve written. Trust me – you’ll see the writing with fresh eyes.

Then, and only then, work on revisions, edits and copy edits.

I discovered this trick accidentally when I misplaced a set of Advanced Placement essays. About six weeks later I found them, and without marking or responding to the papers, I returned them to their owners.

“Look at your papers with a fresh set of eyes,” I said (sounding like I’d had a plan all along).  “Now revise your essay.”

This is what real revision is.” Seeing the words, ideas, characters, setting anew. Revision isn’t just making changes; it’s re-visiting the content with a new perspective, a new set of eyes.

As a writer, what’s your process? Share. Inquiring minds want to know.

If you’re a reader, what’s been your experience with writing, either in school or for fun? Do you keep a journal, create poetry, or write a blog?

One of today’s commenters will receive a print copy of “The Watcher” from a random drawing. And those who send their snail mail addy to jo.lewisrobertson@yahoo.com will get an autographed postcard of this debut book.

Author Louisa Edwards joins us on Wednesday, August 18th with a post on Breaking the Rules and why pushing the boundaries of works for her.

Bio: Like many writers, Jo Robertson penned her first story at a young age. However, a family and a teaching career put her writing dreams on hold until her Advanced Placement seniors conned her into writing her first complete manuscript. That story, which subsequently won RWA’s Golden Heart Award in 2006, was THE WATCHER.

Read an excerpt of THE WATCHER at http://www.jorobertson.com and learn about Jo’s next book “The Avenger.” Also follow her on www.twitter.com/jorobertson29 or www.facebook.com/jorobertson44.

Craft of Writing

61 Responses to “Jo Robertson presents The Wacky, Wonderful Writing Process”

1. Jo: Thanks for being here with us today! I’m still relatively new at this writing gig so when i sit down at the computer I still get all excited. The book is my playground.

I start with dialogue first. I will sketch out the scene in my head – where do I need this to go? what do I need to say? – and then I draft the dialogue and then fill in the details later. I feel like if I can get the dialogue down is key to my writing success.

Robin

Posted by Robin Covington | August 22, 2011, 4:50 am
    • Hi, Robin, thanks for having me today. This is a lovely site and I’m excited about wandering in your “playground” today.

Yes, the concept of dialogue is so difficult for many new writers, how to convey action, emotion, and tone with character words rather than explaining it.

I hope you never lose that excitement of writing. I know I still tingle with the thought of a new idea!

What are you currently working on?

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 8:58 am
      • I’m working on a short story for a group blog, the Waterworld Mermaids. We picked a common location and are writing a story that fits with our voice, genre etc.

I’m also pre-working my next book targeted for Harlequin Blaze – very sexy and fun!

Thanks for asking!

Posted by Robin Covington | August 22, 2011, 9:03 am
        • Okay, Robin, I’m going to ask a really dumb question. Is that Water World, like WATER WORLD or is it merman/mermaid kind of thing? Sounds intriguing.

Good luck with the Blaze. I have so much admiration for those writers who write SUPER tight. It’s a gift! My good friend Tawny Weber writes for Blaze!

Posted by jo robertson | August 22, 2011, 9:39 am
          • LOL! Jo – it stems from an over-the-top game at the last Washington Romance Writers retreat. We gave Waterworld as an answer to a questions (I think it was “what is the worst movie ever made?) but it wrong and highly contested. We all got so tickled that every time we didn’t know the answer was “waterworld”. The 13 newbies banded together and started a blog and took it on as our name. You can google us – we have a good time.

Tawny is a sweetheart and I hope to be Blaze babe with her someday.

Posted by Robin Covington | August 22, 2011, 2:32 pm
  2. Morning Jo..

Thanks for being here! I just finished your book last week, and let me say wow. Twists and turns and scary stuff. =) Didn’t put the book down for days!

I’ve got one ms I’m trying to write one way, write and edit write and edit…the other I burst through at nano and am currently editing. Both seem to be taking the same amount of time (read FOREVER) ….so it’s entirely possible I haven’t found my particular writing process yet! Still a work in progress!

=)

Posted by Carrie Spencer | August 22, 2011, 5:51 am
  3. Hi Jo. Thank you for hanging out with us today. This is a timely post for me! I tried the “dumping” process this summer while my son was home and I didn’t have a lot of time to write. I decided to just put words on the page and fix them when school started again.

It’s been a great exercise and I’ve been able to get 40,000 words down. It may not be pretty, but I can fix it later. :)

Posted by Adrienne Giordano | August 22, 2011, 6:47 am
    • Thanks for having me Adrienne. Romance U. is really one of the most clever and informative blogs around. I love visiting here.

LOL, I just learned I don’t know how to spell “schizophrenic”!

That dumping process works really well for me too, but you have to be willing to wade through a lot of garbage to get to the kernals, right? Kudos to you! 40K is no small feat!

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 9:25 am
  4. Good morning, Jo – great to see you here! It makes me really sad that most kids in the upper grades aren’t being taught or encouraged to write. The whole mindset of teaching only as a way to fill future boardrooms depresses the heck out of me.

I think the kids who want to write WILL write regardless of the curriculum. It’s just a shame they will be doing it without the cushion of classes to help them learn their craft.

Posted by Becke Davis (Becke Martin) | August 22, 2011, 6:52 am
    • Hi, Becke. It’s good to be here. It IS depressing to think about creative writing taking a backseat, but I’m not surprised. American education is trying to keep up with eastern school systems which are outranking us more and more.

Of course, what the stats don’t show is that in this country EVERYONE is entitled to a free, public education. If we filtered out our best and brightest, our scores would be higher.

Sorry for the rant LOL!

Posted by jo robertson | August 22, 2011, 9:28 am
  5. Hi Jo,

I start from the end and work backwards. I know where I want them to end up. I just have to get them there. My daughter will be taking a creative writing class this year. She’s dreading it. To me, it would say Easy A.

Posted by Mary Jo Burke | August 22, 2011, 7:08 am
  6. Great post, Jo. It’s always interesting to read how another person writes.

When I start, I always have an idea of the beginning, middle and end. I write chronological order with some edits as I go, but I save major editing after the draft is complete. That’s what I’m doing right now–editing.

Posted by Mercy | August 22, 2011, 7:25 am
    • That’s the way I write, mainly, Mercy!

One of my critique partners — she’s really hard on me and sometimes I’m afraid to give her my passages — is trying to break me from the chrono method. She insists it stifles my creativity.

What I’m trying to do now is when an evisceral scene come to my mind (even if I don’t know where, how, who) to write it down. Those are usually pretty powerful and I keep them, often finding the place I hadn’t know would work for the scene.

Does that make sense?

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 9:48 am
  7. I’m pretty new so my process is evolving. These days, an opening or scene will pop into my head. I’ll write that, sometimes expanding that bolt of lighting a bit, then put it away for later development.

This might be a bit odd since romance is all/primarily about inner conflict and growth, but I cannot move forward without a good external conflict.

I’m a plotter, so I need to get that done before I start. When I’ve been pulled into writing the story before I’ve finished plotting I come to a screeching halt at the last scene plotted, and it takes huge effort to get going again.

That said, I’ve found writing a scene here and there and storing it until I need it doesn’t interfere with the process.

I’ve also developed scene charts for writing and revising, and…

Posted by Cia | August 22, 2011, 9:01 am
    • Hi, CIA, I’ll bet your process evolves even more. I know mine is continually changing.

Sounds like a great process. Sometimes that initial vision is what gives the proper impetus to the story.

What kinds of charts do you use?

Posted by jo robertson | August 22, 2011, 9:52 am
      • Hi Jo,

OK I’m a day late checking in, and you may not be long gone, but don’t want to ignore the question.

I’ve a 3 column chart which is a WIP. Col 1. looks a GMC of the POV character; the purpose of the scene; the hook at the end etc. Col. 2 details the plot – one overview sentence/paragraph at a minimum, or as many points as occur then. Column 3 is largely about revision, and it also keeps track of details like time lines, research, things to fix etc.

That’s it in a nutshell, won’t go into all the details.

Cia

Posted by Cia | August 23, 2011, 2:17 pm
        • That’s okay, Cia. Thanks for sharing the chart you use. I like it!

I have a similar chart, not in so much detail as yours, but I also include the beginning and ending line. That often jogs my memory when I’m revising. Oh, and the page numbers.

What a crazy world writing is!

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 23, 2011, 2:29 pm
  8. I have to pause a moment and say THANKS, THANKS, THANKS to the gracious Romance U ladies for having me today.

I’m a little schizoid myself today because I’m responding from two different laptops. For some reason the ether goddess decided to mess with me and my comments are taking forEVer to post LOL.

Oh, the joy of technology!

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 9:41 am
  9. Since there’s a bit of a lull, I’ll explain where I got the idea for THE WATCHER. I love taking classes, any kind from drama to administration of justice to welding (okay, kidding about the welding). Anyway, I started taking lots and lots of random classes and one was Abnoral Psychology. I’d taken that in college, way back in the day, but wanted to see how it’d changed over the years.

I learned about this certain physical condition. Don’t want to spoil the story, but it’s related to chromosomes and DNA and really exits.

I explored the big question, “What if?” What if a person had this condition and what if he/she also had a certain environment, what might happen and what might that person do?

And the premise for THE WATCHER was born!

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 10:07 am
  10. Hi Jo! What a great post! As a parent, I bemoan the lack of creative writing in school, but I suspect that’s because I’m a writerly parent. Other parents don’t seem to care! ha!

As to process, well…there supposed to be a process? Most of the time I just blurt it all out there, then go back over it again and again, refining as I go. I do like to let it sit for awhile, as you suggested in your example of the lost essays, then re-visit it with fresh eyes. Really opens your eyes to where things need to be tightened up, or expanded. Grins.
    Of course, I’ll join you in the schizoid camp too, since I work on several projects at once. It keeps my brain nimble. Either that, or I truly am schizophrenic.

Or just crazy, like most writers.

Posted by Jeanne AKA The Duchesse | August 22, 2011, 10:11 am
    • LOL, you have to be a little nuts to be in this business, don’t you Jeanne.

Reminds me. SCHOOL’S STARTED!!!! At least here in northern California. My two “boys” went back to college this morning. Rand said, “Bet you’re glad to get rid of us.”

Uh, keeping my feelings on the down low. But the house is soooooo quiet! Loverly!

Posted by jo robertson | August 22, 2011, 10:42 am
  11. I also wanted to be sure all my romance readers know that, despite the chilling cover, THE WATCHER is a ROMANTIC thriller. There’s plent of romance between the characters of Slater and Kate.

Kate’s very driven and focused on finding the man who murdered her twin sister years ago. She thinks she doesn’t have time for romance. Ha!

Slater’s been seriously hurt, and although he’s attracted to Kate, he’s wary of trusting a beautiful woman again.

Posted by jo robertson | August 22, 2011, 10:13 am
  12. Hi, Jo! I’m looking forward to reading The Watcher, which I’m picking uo today.

I tend to write in a linear way, from opening scene to resolution. However, I do write scenes out of sequence if an idea leaps out at me. That tends to happen more when I work on connected books.

As long as we’re pulling out our soapboxes, I have to bemoan the widespread lack of attention to grammar, spelling, and punctuation in all this expository writing instruction. I’ve read far too many college essays with confusing, awkward sentence structure, misspelled words, dangling modifiers and hit-or-miss punctuation. And too many contest entries suffering from same. *sigh*

Okay, end of rant (and I hope, after that, I have no typos or missing words)! Best of luck with The Watcher!

Posted by Nancy Northcott | August 22, 2011, 10:41 am
    • LOL at your rant, Nancy. I’ve been following the latest discussion on not teaching cursive writing anymore because kids don’t really use it.

I wonder if with texting, IMing, and computer spell/grammar checks, those instructions will fall even more by the wayside.

Thanks for buying Watcher. I hope you enjoy it!

Posted by jo robertson | August 22, 2011, 11:20 am
  13. Ah, no, Jeanne! Slater’s all mine. My CP accuses me of creating him from my husband and making his more “alpha,” but with a tender side.

Hmmm.

I have to admit that Slater’s my favorite male character. Shhhh, mustn’t let Jackson Holt, the dark, brooding character of my next book in the series (out next month) hear.

Posted by jo robertson | August 22, 2011, 11:23 am
  14. Hi Jo!

Thank you so much for being here! I’m a linear writer. Right now, I’m trying to each myself to move forward, to not get caught up in the little details. It’s a work in progress. :)

Posted by Tracey Devlyn | August 22, 2011, 11:31 am
    • Hi, Tracey, thanks for having me today. I think linear writing is the natural way we write, or at least how we’re taught to tell stories. What comes first, what’s next, how does it end?

But for me that linear approach (although I do it) can be stifling. I need to imagine, as I said, those seminal scenes that just grip you in the gut, you know?

JR Ward says she writes in scenes, not sure where they’ll fit, but knowing they’re important.

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 1:01 pm
  15. Welcome to RU, Jo!

I love reading about other writers’ processes. It never hurts to find a new tip to refine my own evolving process :). I tend to either noodle the plotting for too long or jump in too soon. Regardless, I tend to write an ugly, ugly draft. Unfortunately, I don’t love the revision/editing process, but I’m going to learn to embrace it!

I’m about to really dig into edits on a book I finished about two years ago, so hopefully that’s plenty of time to see it with clarity and objectivity!

I hope to get a change to reader The Watcher soon – sounds right up my alley!

Best,

Posted by Kelsey Browning | August 22, 2011, 11:48 am
    • Hi, Kelsey, it’s good to be here. I think I’d rather deal with a really ugly draft than have writer’s cramp of the brain.

I’ll bet the book that’s two years old will seem brand new to you. You’ll effectively have forgotten everything you’ve written, but you’ll have the scaffolding of the story. Good luck with it!

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 1:05 pm
  16. Morning Jo!
    (Yes, it’s still morning here on the Left Coast.)

CONGRATS on the release of The Watcher. For those who haven’t yet read it, be prepared for a GREAT story. ;-)

As you know, I’m a linear writer too. Start on page 1 Chapter 1 and keep going through to The End. However, I liked what you said about the process being different for each book. That is definitely the way it is for me. Writing each book is a slightly different experience, and my process reflects that. Or maybe I just get a wee bit crazier each time?!?!

AC

Posted by Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy | August 22, 2011, 11:50 am
  17. Just for fun, folks, what’s your favorite line in a book, TV series, or movie that you’ve heard/seen?

I’ll start with two:

“Stella!!!!” Love the pathos that’s in that single line delivered by a very young Marlon Brando in “A Streetcar Named Desire.”

And Deanna Raybourn’s “Silent in the Grave”:

“To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband’s dead body is not entirely accurate.”

I couldn’t NOT read this book when I saw the first line.

What about you folks? Anything to share?

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 12:46 pm
    • The only quote that comes to mind is from one of my favorite movies, Mame. “Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.”

Have you ever watched the new USA series, Suits? Terrific writing. The dialogue is fresh and snappy. And Gabriel Macht in a well-cut suit is very easy on the eyes. :)

Posted by Jennifer Tanner | August 22, 2011, 2:23 pm
      • Great line, Jen! I love that musical.

Yes, I’m watching SUITS and think it’s one of the best summer new shows. I didn’t know Gabriel Macht from anywhere else, but he’s arrogantly delightful!

Best bromance of the season!

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 4:28 pm
  18. Oh, I loved that line in SILENT IN THE GRAVE, too. I’m currently reading the second book in the Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley. Lots of quotable lines in these books!

To me, the queens of quotable lines are Jennifer Crusie and Susan Elizabeth Phillips. In their books, I can practically open any book and point to find a classic line!

Posted by Becke Martin/Davis | August 22, 2011, 1:17 pm
  19. Becke, I haven’t read any of Alan Bradley’s book but I’ve heard about the Flavia series. Should I put in on my To Buy list?

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 1:37 pm
  20. I read your descriptions of the many ways to process writing your story. I must have a weird brain because I just couldn’t toss stuff on the page and then come back and organize it. My process is to plod through and make it work as I write it. I have to finish one scene in order to be able to move to the next. When my muse gets quiet, I know it is time to rethink where my plot is heading. My last story I had to start again because my CP told me I didn’t have enough conflict. My brain is so geared into how the story is going to progress and end that it took me completely out of the story and I had to put it away until I could ‘unthink’ my original plot. Now that I am close to finishing again, I can see how right my fabulous CP is and am glad I took the time to revise it.

Best of luck with your book, Jo.

Posted by Paisley Kirkpatrick | August 22, 2011, 1:47 pm
    • Hi, Paisley! It’s good to see someone from SVR chapter. I forgot to post it there, so I’m glad you swung by.

Actually, I think YOUR brain is normal and mine weird. I think the important thing is to make it work for YOU.

I hear you have a great CP! Lucky you!

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 2:21 pm
  21. Wow, it’s a real party here. Hi Jennifer! Hi Jo! Jo, I found your ruminations on the creative process really fascinating. I love to hear about how other people put a book together. I didn’t realize it but I definitely follow the dump process. I get that story out in it’s warts and all glory. It’s a complete mess but once I’ve got it down, I’ve got something to shape. And turning on my internal editor when I’m trying to write the raw bones of the book is absolutely fatal. My subconscious just curls up into a quivering, frightened ball of silence and hides away from me. Good luck with the Watcher!!!!

Posted by Anna Campbell | August 22, 2011, 1:59 pm
  22. Hi Jo!

I had an appointment earlier so I’m chiming in late.

I’m reading “The Watcher” right now and loving Slater! I watch Criminal Minds so I’m enjoying Kate’s role in the book when she’s assessing the UNSUB.

I’ve written lots of scenes out of chronological order. If it’s in my head, I have to write it down. I’ve got scenes for manuscripts that may never get finished. I keep a file for quotes that come to mind.

Posted by Jennifer Tanner | August 22, 2011, 2:16 pm
    • Hi, Jen! Thanks for having me today! You never know when those scenes will have a story frame to fit on or in. You have such a strong writing voice, I’m sure your stories will be britty (uh, that’s a combo of brilliant and witty) and snarky. Love it!

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 2:24 pm
    • Since you’re reading “The Watcher” now, Jen, I have to say I took a lot of forensic classes, but I’m sure I got stuff wrong. Like in the CSI stuff you have to have faster turnaround for the evidence. We writers may not have to tell a story in 44 minutes like the crime drama, but we have to have to done in 350-400 pages LOL.

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 4:26 pm
  23. Hi, Anna, one of my favorite writers! Thanks for swinging over here.

Love the “warts and glory” comment. It’s rather like working with a lump of clay, isn’t it. You’ve got to have the raw material in order to shape and fashion it into something beautiful!

But it does surprise me how varied processes work for so many different people. It’s fun to experiment with what works for other people, seeing if it fits you.

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 2:17 pm
  24. Wait, Jen! Did you say you had a dental appointment??!! If so, I’m driving to the City specially to give you a hug. None of this virtual stuff.

I recently had an implant and I verrrrra sensitive to teeth stuff LOL.

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 2:27 pm
  25. Hi Jo,

Perfect, timely post for me today. I’m in the “noodling” stage of a new novel and needed that extra push off the ledge. Whenever I begin writing a new novel, the first stage is character. An odd assortment of characters populate my thoughts. I usually don’t know how each will factor into the story but if they hang around long enough, I write a complete character profile to get to know them. Next stage is a rough outline (that I always stray from,) then I sit down to write scenes. Nine times out of ten, what I think will be the opening scene isn’t the opening scene, but I have to write it before I know. Drives me a little crazy but that’s creativity, isn’t it?

Count me in as someone who passionately believes in teaching children all the creative arts, including creative writing. It encourages expressiveness and joy.

Thank you for a wonderful post today!

Posted by Rochelle Staab | August 22, 2011, 4:25 pm
  26. Thanks, Rochelle! I’ve had a great time today and have learned far more than I taught, I’m sure.

Before I began writing, I’d hear authors talk about their characters as real entities with minds of their own. I didn’t get it until I began my own writing journey. I mean, I KNOW they’re figments of my imagination, but somehow they seem like living and breathing people. I really fall in love with some of them. Even my villains!

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 8:28 pm
  27. Am watching the new PBS Masterpiece Mystery of Sherlock Holmes, updated for the 21st Century. It’s fabulous if you haven’t seen it yet. They’re showing reruns right now but the new season starts soon. Very clever and modern.

Posted by Jo Robertson | August 22, 2011, 8:29 pm
  28. Jo,

Thanks so much for being with us today! Best of luck with THE WATCHER! I hope you’ll come back for another visit.

Posted by Jennifer Tanner | August 22, 2011, 9:19 pm