Posted On September 2, 2011 by Print This Post

In His Shoes: Race and Gender in Romance by Wayne Jordan

What’s it like to be a man writing romance? What’s it like to be a black man writing romance in a predominantly Caucasian and female romance industry? We are thrilled to have Wayne Jordan here to give us the in-his-shoes perspective on publishing in romantic fiction.

People always ask me – Since you’re a man, what is it like writing romance?
On one level writing and reading romance isn’t easy. I started reading romance while in my teens and I’ll be 50 next year, so it’s been a long time. I endured years of silent ridicule at school, college and even in the workplace because I read romance. For a few years, in the early 1980s, because I thought a literature major should be reading ‘proper’ literature, I gave up my secret fantasy…or should I say fetish.
But as any romance lover knows, it’s not easy to give up reading romance novels, so I returned to the genre. However, I was a bit more mature now, and found that, I really didn’t give two ‘hoots’ what anyone thought of my preference for romance. I was a man who loved reading romance!

In high school, I discovered that I loved writing and ‘had a talent for it’, said my teachers. Scenes from stories would flash in my mind’s eyes, and I’d quickly write them in my never-ending supply of notebooks. Like the stories I read, there would always be a beautiful heroine and a handsome hero. In the stories I created, I would become that hero and in the end too, I’d get my heroine and swoop her into a passionate embrace. Even then, writing romance came naturally. The words flowed freely from my brain. I created wonderful heroes and heroines, placed them in situations with intense, sexual tension, the customary misunderstanding, but eventually I’ve give them their ‘happily-ever-after’.

I submitted my first romance novel years ago (the late 80s), submitted a query and was rejected. Now I look back on that attempt, I’m not surprised that it got rejected. It was almost twenty years later that I submitted my first ‘fit-to-be-published’ manuscript to BET Book for their Arabesque line. I received the CALL. Today, I know a lot more about romance and have published eight books; my ninth, To Love You More, will be released in April 2012 under the Harlequin Kimani Romance line.

However, almost six years after my first book, Capture the Sunrise, went on sale I still feel like the ugly stepbrother of romance. Why? You ask me.

Because, I have two things going against me….I’m still a man (lol) and I’m black.

I’M STILL A MAN
I’m still very much a man writing in a woman’s world and that’s definitely a negative when it comes to writing romance. I’m not saying this is a problem with all readers, but the majority of women still believe that a ‘real’ man can’t write romance.
Have you ever heard these? Or even heard them echoed in your mind?
A man can’t write romance because:
• He would find it difficult to get into the mind of woman.
• He lacks the sensitivity needed.
• He can’t be emotional.
• He can write about sex, but he definitely won’t be able to able to write love scenes.

Crap! Or should I say poppycock!

For me, there are two important factors which define the ‘good’ romance writer. There are others, but these are significant.
1. An individual (male or female) who knows and loves the genre.
2. An individual (male or female) who loves to and knows how to write.
Those are the qualities I possess and have helped me to create the stories I write. I know I’m a good writer. But I also know I still have a lot to learn to become a great writer.

I’M BLACK!
In the world of romance, black writers are the ugly step-sisters! While the acceptance of and respect for African-American romance writers is slowly changing, it’s far from the equal acceptance that should be the norm.

When I started reading romance novels in my teens, I never found it strange that the hero and heroine looked nothing like me. In fact, since my reading at school was comprised of the works of Shakespeare, Keats, Dickens and many of the British elite, I didn’t find it strange at all. It was only when Sandra Kitt’s Harlequin American, Adam and Eva, that I realized that stories could be written about people just like me. In 1999, with the increasing number for African-American romance writers and the growing success of the Pinnacle Arabesque line (eventually sold to BET who created BET Books) I created a website, www.romanceincolor, which focuses on promoting African-American romance authors and their work. Since then, I’ve become a strong advocate for African-American romance. My dreams of being a romance writer changed. I wanted to write about characters who looked just like me.

The state and acceptance of African-American romance in 2011 is still of serious concern to me. The works of African-America continue to be segregated and shelved under the African-American romance, thus limiting the audience potential. While this is technically true, I’m yet to hear a category called Caucasian romance. For me, romance is romance and love is love and has nothing to do with the color of the reader’s or author’s skin. This can change and has to change.

I have the ideal solution. The same way black readers have been embracing books with Caucasians hero/heroines for decades, the reverse is necessary. I read a wide cross section of romance. I have a diverse taste and enjoy all. I read from several Harlequin series lines (Love Inspired Historical, Blaze, Romantic Suspense, Intrigue, Kimani Romance, Superromance, Desire and Presents). Along with this, I read from several other genres (mystery, suspense, mainstream). My favorite authors are Brenda Jackson, Nora Roberts, Beverly Jenkins, Catherine Mann, Mary Balogh, Maureen Smith, Tami Hoag, Marie Force… and the list goes on.

How many of you can say without hesitation that your reading is a diverse are mine; that when you pick up a romance it’s not about the color of the hero and heroine, but the promise of a story that will transport your into a world where love conquers all.

What’s on your bookshelf?  What are your thoughts on the distance between the races in romance fiction? Do you have favorite authors who are males writing under a pen name? Do you have any questions for Wayne about how he handles the female perspective in his books?

C.J. Redwine continues her HolyCowAwesome story series on Monday.

Wayne is giving away two copies of his July 2011 book, SAVED BY HER EMBRACE to to two lucky commentors

After dumping her cheating boyfriend, Sandra Walters doesn’t trust men…especially men in white coats! So when she runs into Troy Whitehall in Barbados, she vows to steer clear of the heart-stoppingly handsome surgeon. The passion they once shared is something she’ll never forget, but she isn’t going to let down her defenses again. Even if the good doctor has a bedside manner no woman can resist.

BIO

For as long as he can remember, Wayne Jordan loved reading, but he also enjoyed creating his own make believe worlds. This love for reading and writing continued, and in November 2005 his first book, Capture the Sunrise, was published by BET Books. Wayne has always been an advocate for romance, especially African-American romance. In 1999 he founded www.romanceincolor.com, a website that focuses on African-American romance and its authors.  Wayne is a high school teacher and a graduate of the University of the West Indies. He holds a B.A.  in literature and linguistics and an M.A. in applied linguistics. He lives on the beautiful tropical island of Barbados, which, with its white sands and golden sunshine, is the perfect setting for the romance stories he loves to create. Of course, he still takes time out to immerse himself in the latest release from one of his favorite authors.

Category Romance

68 Responses to “In His Shoes: Race and Gender in Romance by Wayne Jordan”

1. Mr. Jordan- Thanks for sharing your story. It must be wonderful writing romance from Barbados. Have you ever written with white main characters? Do you ever write mixed race romance? I know I have a very hard time writing characters of color because of my lack of experience with them. I am wondering if it is intimidating to try and create a white hero or heroin for you as I know creating a black main character would be difficult for me just because of my lack of perspective.

Anyway that was an interesting article and I look forward to expanding my horizons and checking out one of your books. ps i haven’t read any white romance novels either so it will be something new all around for me.

Posted by Antonio Angelo | September 2, 2011, 1:48 am
    • I’m working on my first contemporary African American romance, but I also write YA paranormal and urban fantasy, and although I’m still pre-published:), I have debated this topic with other authors and writers, predominately white (and some black), who wouldn’t consider reading a romance between a black couple for no other reason than it just hasn’t crossed their mind to do so. However, I am beating the drum on this topic, and if more authors and writers do so – than we’ll be able to break down a few barriers and old-fashioned notions (fingers crossed!). Now, I’m off to read some of your books!

Posted by Denny S. Bryce | September 2, 2011, 5:49 am
      • Denny: While I currently write contemporary romance, I am working on my first romantic suspense and targetting the Harlequin Intrigue line.

It’s a hard decision to make, but I always say go with your heart. While I write African American romance, I would have no problem with writing about non-black characters.

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 2, 2011, 7:29 am
  2. Antonio: I don’t think I’d find it difficult to write a romance for any perspective. It’s really about research. However, since I’m of mixed race and I’ve been reading romance for ages. I have an understanding of the character dynamics. Ironically, writing a romance from a black perspective isn’t much different from a white perspective. The difficulty comes more from social class that color. I’m an educated black man and my lifestyle is not much different from the lifestyle of an educated black man in Barbados.

Let me give you an example. I’ve been reading Harlequin Romances from the mid-1970s and many of the story are set in Greece and Spain and lost of exotic locations. The hero is often from those counties but yet, the HP authors who have never experience his lifestyle is able to write a creditable story.

I may be making it sound easy, but I think people make it sound too difficult.

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 2, 2011, 3:48 am
  3. Hi Wayne,

Thanks so much for joining us today!

I like that you were able to read romances and enjoy them even though the characters didn’t look like you. In a way, I wish we didn’t have to add any description and let readers come up with their own. But I understand that we need to ground them in some way.

I rarely read a book with the author’s description in my head. I’m partial to dark-haired men, so any time I come across a blond hero I smite the blond hair and make it dark brown/black. :)

Posted by TraceyDevlyn | September 2, 2011, 4:30 am
    • Tracey:

I love to read and the characters don’t have to look like me for me to enjoy them. However, when I was younger and became aware, I did wonder why they were very few books with African American heroes and heroines. I still love romance; even after 30+ years and while the color on the back doesn’t matter when I read, the fact that AA romance does not get the same kind of marketing push and respect makes me really really sad.

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 2, 2011, 8:52 am
  4. Tracy: I’m some what like you. Yes, I see the cover; however, when I open the pages of a book, I forget color and engross myself in the wonderful story that the author weaves. I love the happy ending, but it’s also the conflict and the intense emotion that keeps me captivated; especially if it’s done well.

And I am partial to sexy, feisty heroines.

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 2, 2011, 4:35 am
  5. Wayne: Thanks you so much for accepting my invitation to come to RU. I am beyond thrilled.

I was wondering if you ever considered writing under a female pen name? I know other male romance writer friends and they are all going to use a female pen name. Some are at the encouragement of the publisher.

Also, what is your process when you write? Do you get the idea first? Are you a plotter or a pantser?

Robin

Posted by Robin Covington | September 2, 2011, 5:35 am
    • Robin: The pleasure is mine. I love interacting with authors and readers. It’s the best thing next to writing.

I was a very lazy writers, since I’d prefer to read than write. However, i had to force myself to be disciplined.

Ideas and characters are the two elements which determine a story. Sometimes the idea comes first; sometimes the story. However, the stories inspired by character are usually those stories with secondary characters who start to talk to me and want their own story.

Initially, I was a pantser. However, I’m becoming a lot more disciplined. For my current book I did very detailed plotting before I started the story. However, after that, it’s all about where the characters take me.

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 2, 2011, 1:53 pm
  6. Wayne, great post. And the setting and people in your latest novel sound very interesting. Although I travelled most of Canada, the furthest I’ve been south is the northern US, so I enjoy settings in other countries.

Posted by Mercy | September 2, 2011, 5:49 am
    • Mercy: I love writing about the Caribbean. However, I also try to do research whenever I travel or go to a conference if the city/place fascinated me. While I love Barbados, I also like to take my characters to other places. But in each of my books the island has become a place of healing where love can flourish.

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 2, 2011, 2:02 pm
  7. Wayne, thank you so much for sharing your perspective! I’m fascinated; I love learning about cultures different from mine, and different ways of life, but a black man writing romance is completely new to me. Can’t wait to find out how your POV as a man impacts how you present the romance in the story! I’m sure you know, us women are *always* trying to get into mens’ heads, struggling to understand what makes you tick. :-)

This was a great post! Thanks!

Posted by Carla | September 2, 2011, 6:14 am
  8. Great, very thought-provoking post. I’d like to see stores pit all the romance together instead of hiding “ethnic” fiction in a corner somewhere. To me, the characters’ race, religion, and other issues are only important as they impact the GMC and affect the happy ever after.

Posted by Arabella Stokes | September 2, 2011, 6:26 am
  9. Hi Wayne. Thank you for hanging out with us today.

I have to give you a big high-five because you are a brave, brave man to be a romance writer. Women are often ridiculed for writing in this genre, so I can’t imagine the opposition you face.

I love the idea of a man writing a romance. Just the POV factor alone is fascinating to me. I’m heading over to download your book!

Thanks, Wayne.

Posted by AdrienneGiordano | September 2, 2011, 6:31 am
  10. Hi Wayne,

Congratulations on your book. Good for you for sailing against the wind. Women hide their romance book reading too. To some, it will always be low brow.

Posted by Mary Jo Burke | September 2, 2011, 7:13 am
  11. Hi

Thanks for dropping by. Unfortunately, the school year begins to do so I won’t be able to respond to comments and questions immediately. However, whenever I can I will come on line. I’ll be home by late afternoon and will reply to everyone at that time.

Wayne

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 2, 2011, 7:25 am
  12. Morning Wayne..

I remember reading romances in high school and tearing the covers off of them so no one would know what I was reading. I can’t imagine your situation!

I agree with Adrienne, the POV factor is what fascinates me. Do you feel it’s hard to get into a woman’s POV?

Posted by Carrie Spencer | September 2, 2011, 7:48 am
    • Carrie: I used to put bookcovers on them. Now, I really don’t care what people think.

At first, it was difficult; especially when I was writing love scenes. Now, I think I’m in sync with my femanine characters. :-) I’m assuming it’s as difficult as a women writing from the hero’s POV.

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 2, 2011, 2:58 pm
  13. Wayne, this was a great post, and as a white woman who writes about Native Americans, I support you 100%. We don’t blink about a woman writing a man, so why should a man writing a woman be any different? But what I really want to say is–you’re almost 50? When I met you in NY this summer, I wouldn’t have guessed anywhere NEAR that!

Posted by Sarah M. Anderson | September 2, 2011, 8:00 am
    • Sarah: I remember you. Yes, I’ll be 50 in May 2012. People do say that teachers still young looking for a long time. Thanks for the compliment! (blush, blush)

Of course, I’m looking forward to Indian Princess, your debut Harlequin Desire in 2012.

Wayne

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 2, 2011, 3:06 pm
  14. Hi Wayne,

You are a brave brave man!

As a man who reads romance, which authors do you think do the best job with making their Heroes authentic?

It’s not genre romance, but Eric Segal’s Love Story is one of my favorite love stories ever — it’s the most emotion I’ve seen crammed into hundred odd pages.

One of my CPs writes African American romance and I love her stories, mainly because they put me bang in the center of a different culture. So, relatability is one thing, but I think a lot of people read to travel in their heads. Which makes it all the more preposterous to shelve books by race.

But despite everything it’s a great time to be writing outside any currently established norms. The world is not just open it’s hungry. At least more than it’s ever been, and that’s all we need.

Heading out to pick up your book,

Sonali

Posted by Sonali Mayadev Thatte | September 2, 2011, 8:19 am
  15. Great post. I haven’t read many romances with nonwhite main characters because, well, I haven’t seen them on the library shelves. But if we can have mixed species heroes (e.g. were-creatures), surely we can have more racial diversity!

Posted by Kris Bock | September 2, 2011, 8:48 am
  16. Hi Wayne – Thanks for a fascinating blog! I have no problem at all with a man writing romance, whether he’s black, white or otherwise. Maybe it’s because I started reading mysteries before I discovered the romance genre. Many mysteries are written by men, and a LOT have romances woven into the story.

I like all kinds of romance, and I am a fan of several Kimani authors. I’ve noticed a lot more books – paranormal, urban fantasy, mainstream romance – are featuring heroes and heroines with diverse nationalities and where black is not an issue. Maisey Yates blogged about this here a few weeks ago.

I know several romance authors who are really husband and wife teams, or where the husband helps with the writing process.

I definitely think there’s a place for male writers in romance. Hopefully one day color won’t be an issue at all.

Posted by Becke Davis (Becke Martin) | September 2, 2011, 9:19 am
  17. Good morning, Wayne!

We’re delighted to have you at RU today.

As a reader, I love books where there’s some “cultural” difference between the hero and heroine. That might be race, species, home planet or whatever. One of my fave mixed race romances is between Sam and Alyssa, and written by Suze Brockmann. I’d love to see more cultural diversity in single title and category romance. And I’ve often wondered if having an African-America category line helps or hinders introducing readers to that diversity.

Thanks so much for hanging out with us today and inspiring other writers to pursue the type of stories they’re passionate about!

Posted by KelseyBrowning | September 2, 2011, 9:58 am
    • Kelsey:

I love me some Sam and Alyssa!

I totally agree. I see no reason why the African-American authors’ book couldn’t be integrated into the other lines, but I know it’s all about marketing. However, thought Harlequin Kimani is a series line, the books are rarely seen with the other series lines on display in stores.

Thanks. Is has been great and I love the feedback.

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 2, 2011, 3:17 pm
      • I think Suzanne Brockmann’s HARVARD’S EDUCATION paved the way for today’s “black romance.” (That sounds odd – I don’t like defining it that way.) She got quite a bit of resistance, as I recall, but obviously there was a demand for more than white/white romance. I love her books for the diversity they offer – and because they are brilliantly written! (Can you tell I’m a fan?)

Posted by Becke Martin/Davis | September 2, 2011, 5:18 pm
  18. Hi Wayne! What a great blog!! I thoroughly enjoyed it. And congrats on your wonderful stories landing on the shelves. So very, very happy for you and for all of us who get to enjoy your books!

Cheers,
    Cathy :)
    PS Thank you for including me in your list of authors you read. I’m honored!

Posted by Catherine Mann | September 2, 2011, 10:13 am
  19. Thanks for your insight as a black male author! It was intriguing to see how a minority other than myself felt about his place within the genre. The part that struck me the most was the issue of where your books should be placed. I think sellers often worry that placing “black” books in the romance section will decrease their selling potential, as that section tends to be dominated by mainly white females. This assumption, however, is somewhat offensive to caucasian women as it assumes they won’t brach out of their own comfort zone.

As a gay man I admit I looked to the “gay” section for my literature. However the more I went, the more I was annoyed that everything was pushed together. I do not think that “A Secret Edge” (coming of age novel about young gay teen), Vampire Transgressions (story about a gay vampire and his lover on my TBR list), and 25 Erotic Gay Stories should be on the same shelf. It became frustrating while shopping because there are times when I do want to read a romance about two gay men, but there are also times I want to read a story about gay men that isn’t centered around their relationship or sex. Where the focus is either on a mystery plot or suspense.

The fact is people read outside of their niche all the time. Most of the romance I read for a college course (I took two in the genre!) were about heterosexual couples with female protagonists. My enjoyment of the books wasn’t reduced just because I wasn’t the same orientation as the protagonists, and I think readers discover that staying within your comfort zone for too long leads to boring reads.

-Steven

Posted by Steven | September 2, 2011, 10:40 am
    • Steven:

What you say is so true. The same thing happens with African-American books. An AA Historical Romance, an AA Romantic Suspense and an AA Contemporay Romance are all categories as AA, but doesn’t happen to non-AA books. Makes no sense to me.

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 2, 2011, 3:23 pm
  20. Hi Wayne,

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing your experience. I can only think we are making progress given that Maisey Yates’ book was not only accepted, but that the cover featured a ‘black’ man and not someone light-skinned who might be deemed more ‘acceptable’ by readers.

That said I’d love to see how the sales figures compare with her other books.

My question has to do with nationality. How did that play in your journey as a writer? How much of a liability to publication is it to be a writer from the Caribbean?

Posted by Cia | September 2, 2011, 10:48 am
    • CIA:

When I sad the cover of Maisey’s book, I was so excited.

However, progress took a step backwards. A HIGH PRICE TO PAY has changed the cover art for the UK and AU versions. The hero has miraculously changed color. he’s now white! Just seems sooooo wrong. What does that say about the the world we live in.

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 2, 2011, 3:26 pm
  21. Hi Wayne! I seen this issue of Black romance discussed so many times. There are many reasons that Black romances don’t get the same readership as those featuring white characters, but I truly think the biggest issue is how they are shelved and marketed. I don’t think people dislike or fear reading them as much as the books don’t wander into their selection purview. That’s not only the physical books, but even their online book discussions. I try to feature a mix of authors and genres on my blog for that reason.

I’ve read a few by other male authors and honestly haven’t enjoyed them quite as much. Men do seem to write a bit differently. More terse which works well in suspense, not as well in romance. I’ll have to read your book.

Best wishes for the new school year.

Posted by PatriciaW | September 2, 2011, 12:08 pm
    • Patricia: I know what you mean, but there are definitely some male authors who write romance in the magical romantic sense that I have come accustomed to. There are few, but definitely those who have come in touch of their romantic selves.

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 2, 2011, 5:21 pm
  22. Great post. I think that one thing romance readers have in common, is we all love a great story. I would read your romance books, because you don’t hide the fact that you are a man. I agree with Patricia that it is a problem with marketing and merchandising. Of the Harlequin lines I primarily read the Intrigue line, so if your book isn’t in that line I would probably have missed you. It would be fun to write a book, and market it in all of the lines and see what happens.Interesting article -happy to pass it on.

Posted by Gayle Cochrane | September 2, 2011, 1:07 pm
    • Gayne: I love the Harlequin Intrigue and Harlequin Suspense lines. In fact, I’m co-host of the Simply Series area in the eharlequin.com community.

The current proposal I am working on will target Harlequin Intrigue. Are you an aspiring author too.

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 2, 2011, 5:18 pm
  23. Hi Wayne -
    Wonderful article.
    It is very insightful. I am so glad you realized your goal of writing romance stories with wonderful heroes and heroines.
    I look forward to reading your future romance books and can’t wait to read books by you in other genres.

Posted by Beverly | September 2, 2011, 1:26 pm
  24. Hi Wayne!

I love the idea of men writing romance partly because I think male writers could give the reader a more realistic characterization of the male psyche.

Thanks so much for being with us today!

Posted by jennifer tanner | September 2, 2011, 2:25 pm
  25. Wayne – When you pitched to Kimani, did you consider disguising the fact that you are a guy? (I’m assuming it was a written query…)

Or do you think the rarity of a male romance author may have helped your query jump the slush pile?

Posted by Becke Martin/Davis | September 2, 2011, 5:22 pm
    • Becke: I never considered disguising myself. I knew I’d written a good book and hoped the editor would like it well enoughh to want to publish it. I really didn’t think beyond that, so when she called and said she was waiting for the editor term’s approval, it struck me then. I was a male writing romance.

I did think the rarity helped too and that may have been a reason BET Book make the decision to publish Devon Vaughn Archer and I under our own names.

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 3, 2011, 12:40 pm
  26. Wayne – Thank you so much for coming to be with us today! This was a great post, excellent discussion and we all learned so much.

I’ll pick the winners and announce them on Sunday, September 4.

Thanks to everyone who commented!

Robin

Posted by Robin Covington | September 2, 2011, 6:33 pm
  27. I appreciate how frank this discussion is about so many issues related to writing as an AA and as an AA male. But boy do I also appreciate Wayne’s novels. I’ve read them all and can’t wait to get a copy of To Love You More. 2012 can’t come soon enough!

Posted by Gregory Cummings | September 2, 2011, 10:36 pm
  28. Hi Wayne – I’ve never understood women who say men can’t get into a woman’s head, you have to look no further than Wally Lamb’s book SHE’S COME UNDONE to disprove that theory. And how can women say that without looking at the other side of this. If men are incapable of getting into the female mind, are women then incapable of getting into the male mind? It’s easier for me to write the opposite gender–I for one have studied men all my life. Women, not so much. And I would think it would be the same for men.

As for African American romance vs. Caucasian–I would think that most readers, like me, are color blind. It is ridiculous that they have African American romance shelved in a different section. It’s like shelving erotica in marital aids…{hits head on desk} It makes absolutely no sense. Romance is romance is romance. I don’t care what color the people are, I just want great characters, a good plot, strong writing, and a believable happily ever after.

I’m looking forward to reading your books. I think I have one on my TBR Pile…

Posted by Robin Kaye | September 3, 2011, 9:24 am
  29. Robin: My point exactly. Romance is romance is romance. Like you, I look for great characters, a good plot and strong writing. The plus is always the Happily-Ever-After.

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 3, 2011, 2:17 pm
  30. Wayne,

Having been an English major, I’m always thrilled when a book is well written. I don’t care how great a story might be, I find it distressing when it’s poorly written. I’ve read quite a few of your books and I can honestly say that I agree with you, you are a very good writer. I find your romance writing to be different, you definitely come at it from the male perspective. But that’s not a bad thing, just different. I’m glad that you had the faith and confidence in yourself to have started down this path and to have continued so successfully. It’s refreshing and teaches me a little something about the male psyche. Kudos to you!!

Cathy

Posted by Cathy Atchison | September 3, 2011, 5:57 pm
    • Cathy: I know exactly what you mean. As an English major and an English teacher, I am usually very disappointed when a book is not well-written, though I am very selective when I buy books to read. Teaching full time and writing doesn’t leave me much time for reading.

And thanks for the compliment. I’m assuming all writer get that slight twitch of apprehension with each book and when readers love it, we all breath in deeply and sigh in relief. I know I do.

However, one of the thing I know is that I’m still learning. I’m not perfect, but with each book, I know my craft is getting better.

Thanks for the support.

Posted by Wayne Jordan | September 4, 2011, 3:48 am
  31. So . . . drumroll please . . . here are our winners:

For a copy of Wayne Jordan’s book, SAVED BY HER EMBRACE

Denny Bryce
    Steven

Congrats!

I sent you an email or you can contact me at robincovingtonromance@yahoo.com

Robin

Posted by Robin Covington | September 4, 2011, 5:21 pm
  32. Wayne:
    I read my first mixed black/white story a few years ago and I can say that I am totally hooked. As a white woman who is in love with a beautiful black male, I know that I want to write those kind of stories..where strong white females find true romance with exciting black men…and I totally agree with so many of the comments. It doesn’t matter if your black/white we all want to read a story that both captivates us, and takes us away to a place where reality is just a bit sweeter. I also agree that when I go in to Barnes and Noble to find a good african american author, I have to look under that said. Then the selection is minimal at best…Borders had the best selection..you could find a wide variety of both african/white stories as well as totally african american. But I do agree, there’s not a section that says..All the white folk stuff is over here..thank you Wayne for the great article and now you have a new reader…

Posted by Libby Schultz | September 5, 2011, 10:26 am
  33. Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts Wayne. I have very similar feelings about AA romance (and books in general) and their treatment/acceptance in the industry as a whole. I’ve led several conversations and written blog posts about it.

I can honestly say, my reading preferences are as diverse as yours :-) When I’m reading romance, I’m looking for a good story about two leads (regardless of race, color, creed, or species–I read a lot of urban fantasy-lol). For me, it’s the couple’s journey to their happy ever after that draws me.

Posted by LaTessa | September 8, 2011, 8:12 pm