Posted On October 31, 2011 by Print This Post

Debut Author Series: Nancy Naigle, Author of Sweet Tea and Secrets

Good morning, RU Crew! Our Visiting Professor today is simply one of the nicest and most genuine folks I’ve met since I began my writing journey. This year, Nancy Naigle released her debut novel Sweet Tea and Secrets (and seriously, who can resist a title like that??) about mischief in the small town Adams Grove. She’s here today to chat with us about her publication journey and all the wonderful wisdom she’s gained in the process. Nancy is also giving away a copy of Sweet Tea and Secrets to one lucky commenter!

Welcome, Nancy! Did you happen to bring any pumpkin bread to share with our readers?

Thanks for such a nice intro, Kelsey. I have a loaf of pumpkin bread right here ready to share!

To let the rest of you in on that story, I was the guest of honor with the BOOK CLUB BABES in Suffolk, VA last month. They’d made Sweet Tea and Secrets their monthly read. It was so much fun and the members made the recipes from the back of the book. All of the Adams Grove recipes turned out great. One of the members, Sandy, brought her extra-special pumpkin bread. She graciously share d that recipe with me and I’ve been sharing it with the world ever since. Will you post it at the end of this interview for us, Kelsey? Check below Nancy’s bio at the bottom of the post for the recipe :).

Kelsey: How many manuscripts did you write before you sold?

Nancy: I’d written five complete manuscripts, and a big old stack of unfinished stuff that I’ve shuffled across my desk from time to time.

Kelsey: How long was it from the time you began writing seriously and the time you sold?

Nancy: Turning forty had been no big deal for me but something about turning 43 left me with an urgency to get on the ball and follow my heart. Although I’ve enjoyed a pretty awesome career with Bank of America, I had the dream of being a novelist that never received serious attention. So, the summer of 1996 I joined RWA and attended my first RWA National Conference. It was in Atlanta, GA that year. I was alone and it was my birthday, but I’d never felt more alive. The information and inspiration I gained from that trip catapulted me in the right direction.

Kelsey: Why do you think this particular manuscript sold?

Nancy: It was ready! It’s that simple. I hadn’t sold up until that point because my work wasn’t “there” yet. I was getting good feedback right out of the gate, but I had a lot to learn. I’m still learning every day.

Here’s the thing. You don’t know what you don’t know. I thought I was so ready back in 1996, but the truth was I wasn’t. I learned through the conferences I attended, and the wonderful authors who mentored me and critiqued my work. I leveraged Brenda Novak’s Auction and others to gain invaluable editor feedback from the professionals at the big houses who gave me some good news and shot a few red flares to let me know where I was going wrong.

The key? The silver bullet? Tenacity. Through all the feedback, the disappointment, the frustration—don’t give up. Nothing worth achieving is easy.

Kelsey: What surprised you about the sell?

Nancy: Well, actually, the first book I sold isn’t the book that came out first.

I know…that sounds crazy, doesn’t it?

I sold Out of Focus first, last year in December, with a release date of November 2011.

Out of Focus wasn’t the first story in the Adams Grove series, but I’d learned that all stories in a series had to stand alone, so all my books did. Once I sold Out of Focus though, I really wanted to get the first one out there, too. Some lucky timing and an unexpected opportunity got Sweet Tea and Secrets first in line. It came out this summer.

Sweet Tea and Secrets was originally titled Pearls of Wisdom. I loved that name because of the tie to Pearl Clemmons the matriarch of the small town of Adams Grove, but I’ll admit I love the new title even better. If you haven’t read Sweet Tea and Secrets I won’t spoil your introduction to her, but I love-love-love Pearl. Okay … well just to whet your appetite here are a few of the “pearl-isms” from Sweet Tea and Secrets.

• Love’s kind of like sweet tea. The secret is all in having the patience to let it steep.
  • Better to fight for what you really want then to be left wanting what you didn’t fight for.
  • Here’s the good thing about the future. It comes one day at a time. Follow your heart each day. You’ll get where you’re supposed to go.

I hope I’m just like Pearl when I’m in my eighties.

Kelsey: Is there anything you wished you’d done before you sold?

Nancy: I wish I’d been more patient. In hindsight, I could have avoided a lot of waiting when truly my work wasn’t ready for submission. It’s hard to not get frozen in that “wait” period.

Kelsey: What’s your best advice for writers who are still waiting to sell?

Nancy: Keep writing, network, and don’t put all your eggs in one basket. I’d also remind folks to attend conferences in other genres. I’ve learned so much by attending writing conferences that have had slants towards poetry, mystery and literary fiction, besides the RWA conferences.

I should mention that I met you and the other gals of RU at the RWA National Conference in DC back in 2009. I’ve been so lucky to make lasting friendships at every single one of those conferences.

Kelsey: And last, will you tell us all about your debut book?

Nancy: Absolutely! Sweet Tea and Secrets is set in the small town of Adams Grove where the biggest crime last year was a few hunters bagging over the legal limit of deer.

When Jill returns to settle her grandmother’s estate, she’s greeted by a Clydesdale-sized guardian dog who doesn’t seem to be earning his stripes (although he drools on them pretty well), and Garrett Malloy, the ex-fiancé she left behind a year ago. You see, this sleepy little town is wide awake and locking its doors after a series of break-ins over at Pearl Clemmons’ place. That’s Jill’s grandmother, and the whole town of Adams Grove is feeling the loss. Pearl was known for her award-winning chocolate pecan pie and the best unsolicited advice in the county.

Jill insists on staying at Pearl’s amidst the string of break-ins, but Jill’s past with Garrett becomes the least of her worries when she learns that their lives are in danger. She is the only person standing between a desperate conman and a secret from Pearl’s past.

Will Pearl’s past kill any chance of Jill and Garrett’s future together?

RU Crew, small town romances seem to be all the rage right now. Which do you prefer–small town or big city settings? Feel free to quiz Nancy about her writing career and her books. Don’t forget, Nancy is also giving away a copy of Sweet Tea and Secrets to one lucky commenter!

Stop by Wednesday when voice over artist Cris Dukehart gives us the skinny on recording audiobooks!

Excerpt from Nancy Naigle’s SWEET TEA AND SECRETS

Jill Clemmons started each morning with Grandma Pearl’s favorite advice in mind: Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, ‘Oh shit, she’s awake!’

Sometimes that was harder than it sounded. Like today.

Even though Jill was thrilled to be half way home to Adams Grove for Pearl’s surprise party, the trip hadn’t come without its own set of hurdles. Bradley was unhappy about her dropping everything to make the trip up from Savannah to Virginia. He’d stomped around and mumbled about it being just two weeks before the big fundraiser and putting the timeline at risk. But Jill was in charge of that timeline and, aside from Bradley’s foul mood, the Kase Foundation wouldn’t suffer one bit by her being gone for one day.

Technically, Pearl’s birthday wasn’t until June 27th, after the fundraiser, but keeping a secret from Pearl was next to impossible. If Pearl’s friends succeeded in surprising her, it would be the first time anyone had. There was no way Jill was going to miss this, even if it did mean making the trip up and back in one day. Pearl’s party might not be one of Bradley’s priorities, but it darn sure was one of hers.

The tension from the week evaporated as Jill got closer to Adams Grove, the place she considered home.

She could hardly believe a year had passed since she’d packed all her stuff in Piggly Wiggly bags and hit the road in her little red pickup. Jill never thought she’d live anywhere but Adams Grove. But on the rebound from Garrett Malloy, accepting the fundraiser position with the Kase Foundation had been a no-brainer. In fact, getting away from Garrett by moving to Savannah had been one of the biggest perks of the job. The only downside was being away from Pearl.

As Jill took the exit off I-95, she turned the air conditioner up a notch then fumbled for the button to lower the window of her new BMW. She’d never been one to give two hoots about a fancy car, but fancy cars, big houses and appearances were the be-all, end-all to Bradley Kase. Since he’d become more than just a boss over the past year, she’d let him talk her into trading in Ol’ Red for something he considered more appropriate. She missed that truck and its trusty crank-down windows.

Jill turned on Horseshoe Run Road and a bittersweet smile eased across her lips. She inhaled the scent of honeysuckle and mimosa that filled this stretch of road every summer. When the wind blew downriver, even Farmer Young’s smelly pigs couldn’t drown out the fragrance.

Nancy Naigle writes love stories from the crossroad…of small town and suspense.

Living on the cutting edge of technology in her day job in the banking industry for many years, Nancy spends each night creating make-believe small town worlds filled with hope, heart, and suspense. She hopes readers will accept her invitation to visit Adams Grove and will grow to care about the residents as much as she does.

SWEET TEA AND SECRETS was released earlier this year.

Aside from writing Nancy enjoys treasure-hunting in antique shoppes, and getting crafty no matter what the medium from painting and digitizing embroidery designs, to weaving pine needle baskets.

A Virginia native, she and her husband of 16 years moved inland to quiet Southampton County. They live on a working goat farm with their two labs and more kids (the four-legged kind) than they keep count of, where they are living out their own small town love story.

Nancy’s second book in the Adams Grove series, Out of Focus, will be out in November. www.NancyNaigle.com

‎Pumpkin Bread

3.5 c all purpose flour, .25 tsp. Baking powder, 2 tsp. Baking soda, 1.5 tsp salt, 1 tsp each – nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, 1.5 c each granulated and brown sugars, 1 c oil, 2 c canned pumpkin, 4 eggs. Spray 2 loaf pans with cooking spray and then sugar (instead of flour). Mix dry ingredients, add oil, add pumpkins, add eggs one at a time….bake 350 for 50-60 mins. Enjoy!!!

Debut Author Interviews

39 Responses to “Debut Author Series: Nancy Naigle, Author of Sweet Tea and Secrets”

1. Hi Nancy,

So nice to have at RU! It’s strange to think that’s it’s been 2.5 years since we had our introductory dinner with the incomparable Margie Lawson.

You mentioned Out of Focus has a November release date. Can you tell us how we might get our hands it? :)

Posted by Tracey Devlyn | October 31, 2011, 4:25 am
  2. Hi Nancy,

It’s interesting how an overnight success really takes years. Keep at it is the best advice. I’m not much of a baker, but I need someone to make me some pumpkin bread.

Posted by Mary Jo Burke | October 31, 2011, 5:59 am
  3. Hi, Nancy! How fun to have you hanging out with us today.

I loved the “Pearl-isms” and have always wondered if you thought them up or if you had a Pearl in your own life?

Thanks for hanging out with us today!

Posted by Adrienne Giordano | October 31, 2011, 6:11 am
  4. Good morning, y’all. I’m thrilled to be here at RU hanging out at the cool lunch table.

Thanks for having me!

Tracey:: Yes! Out of Focus will be out on November 14th in both trade paperback and all your fav digital formats.

Posted by Nancy Naigle | October 31, 2011, 7:20 am
  5. Good morning, Nancy!

It’s still early here on the west coast, but I’m dropping by my desk before waking my son and making breakfast (but I do have a cup of coffee in hand!). Sure wish I had some pumpkin bread this morning. Good news is I froze half a loaf so maybe I’ll thaw it for tomorrow!

Also – I admit to doing a little math on your dates and age based on your interview. If you so much as claim that you’re over 50, I will accuse you of lying!

Thanks for spending Halloween with RU!
    Kels

Posted by Kelsey Browning | October 31, 2011, 7:53 am
  6. Yum – pumpkin bread! I can practically smell it!

Hi Nancy – It’s great to see you here! It was so much fun meeting you back in June – are you coming to Lori Foster’s event next year, too?

I’m going to throw in a plug, if it’s okay. Adrienne was featured at Barnes & Noble’s Mystery Forum this summer, and she had some familiar guests! http://bit.ly/seNfT9

Posted by Becke Martin/Davis | October 31, 2011, 7:57 am
    • Yippeee. Thanks for sharing that link, Becke. That was a fun-fun-fun week with Adrienne Giordano, Tracey Devlyn, Tracy March and me. We all write suspense….and we serve it up just about any way you could like it.

Adrienne – contemporary romantic suspense with bold hearts risking it all…and y’all know her new one, Risking Trust, comes out Monday, right?!!!! I can’t wait!

Tracey – historical romance coming in April 2012 (A Lady’s Revenge)
      Tracy – big city thriller set in DC coming in 2012 (Girl Three)

…and my small town stuff. We’ll take you on a regular road trip between the four of us!
      We’ll have to come play with you again one day soon, Becke.

OH….And YES, you can count on me being at Lori Foster Reader/Author Get Together again next year. I’ve got it inked in.

Posted by Nancy Naigle | October 31, 2011, 10:34 am
  7. Mary Jo, this pumpkin bread recipe is so easy. You can make it. I promise…plus your house will smell better than any Yankee Candle. It’s soooo worth it.
    Enjoy!

Posted by Nancy Naigle | October 31, 2011, 8:22 am
  8. I hope everyone has had a “Pearl” in their life and that this story helped you pull some of those memories forward. :)

The Pearl-isms were a happy accident that I didn’t even realize until after the story was written.

Here are a couple of my favorites from the book::
    -That’s the good thing about small towns. If you don’t know how you are, everybody else does.
    -Better to fight for what you really want then to be left wanting what you didn’t fight for.

and the most popular one from what I’ve heard from readers is::

Pearl is the star of that book in my heart~
    Nancy

Posted by Nancy Naigle | October 31, 2011, 8:30 am
    • My grandmother is the “Pearl” in my life. That’s where I learned all the best Texas/southern sayings that I pull out to annoy and entertain my son.

I can just hear her saying: “Six one way, half dozen the other.” I bet I heard her say that at least once a day when I was a little girl.

Kels

Posted by KelseyBrowning | October 31, 2011, 9:30 am
      • I love that saying, Kelsey. I use it all the time myself. Pearl was more like my great-grandma. We called her Eenie. I have no idea why hahah. That brocolli picture moment at the end of chapter one…Eenie did that with parsley on more than one occasion. That always made me belly laugh.

Nan

Posted by Nancy Naigle | October 31, 2011, 10:36 am
  9. Oh Kelsey, you should still be hugging a pillow!! Thanks for joining us for coffee on east coast time, thaw that pumpkin bread now.

You won’t have to call me a liar. I’m 49 and counting down the months to the big 5-0 in 2012. It would probably be more upsetting if my husband weren’t so much older than me. I’ll always be his young wife. :)

Spending Halloweed at RU is a TREAT for me. Thanks so much.

Posted by Nancy Naigle | October 31, 2011, 8:34 am
  10. Kelsey asked:: I have Sweet Tea and Secrets in digital form, but I’m wondering what you see as the pros and cons of your book being released in trade paperback.

You know … I can’t think of any cons. I think it’s a win-win because readers have the option to get the book in the way they prefer.

I have a kindle and a nook, but I still read as many book-books as I do digital. Digital is nice because it stretches my budget, who doesn’t need that advantage these days? But if I like a book…I want it on my shelf. I guess I’m old fashioned like that. Plus, I love pretty covers. :)

Nancy

Posted by Nancy Naigle | October 31, 2011, 8:43 am
  11. Morning Nancy!

Looove your excerpt! I bet that was a fun book to write…Pearl sounds just awesome. Congrats on your upcoming!

=)

Posted by Carrie Spencer | October 31, 2011, 8:51 am
    • Hi Carrie! (Love your avatar..looks like a baby goat to me!! Did you know I live on a goat farm??)

I’m glad you enjoyed the excerpt. My goal is to write books that will tug you away from the crazy pace of life for just a little while and get you lost in a nice little town with folks you can care about.

Hugs and happy reading~

Posted by Nancy Naigle | October 31, 2011, 10:38 am
  12. Nancy, I took Sweet Tea and Secrets with me when Keith and I went to Myrtle Beach for a vacation recently. I enjoyed the book and look forward to your new book Out of Focus. Pearl really had gems of wisdom and solid advice. I loved your characters, the funny moments, and the gripping suspense. It is truly a book I will recommend and look forward to sharing with family and my friends. Thank you…please keep writing! Becky

Posted by Becky Norton | October 31, 2011, 9:30 am
    • I LOVE Myrtle Beach! There’s so much to do there I’m tickled you found some time to spend with Sweet Tea and Secrets.

The sheriff, Scott Calvin, is one of the main characters in Out of Focus. You’ll get to know a lot more about him, and meet his dog, Maggie, too.

Posted by Nancy Naigle | October 31, 2011, 10:41 am
  13. Nancy – It was fun to hear about your journey. I understand the feeling of time that could have been better used and lessons that had to be learned – but it’s all steps on the journey and it takes ‘believing’!

Grace

Posted by Grace Greene | October 31, 2011, 10:19 am
  14. We’ve got to BELIEVE! You got that right, Grace.

BELIEVE and HELP ONE ANOTHER….things I try to live by.

Nancy

Posted by Nancy Naigle | October 31, 2011, 10:42 am
  15. now I have to go bake something… :)

Congrats on the books, Nancy!

Posted by Judi Fennell | October 31, 2011, 11:15 am
  16. Hi Nancy! Congratulations on your debut and your second release. Tenacity is the key. At 40, I decided I was going to write, but I’ve wasted the better part of the last decade. I shouldn’t say that. In reality, I’ve networked and learned a whole lot that has made me a better writer. But something about turning 48–and realizing 50 isn’t that far away–has gotten me moving. Whatever it takes, I guess!

Posted by PatriciaW | October 31, 2011, 12:18 pm
    • Put your pinky out, Patricia —-we’ll do a virtual pinky swear. If I can do it…you can do it, too!!

If you didn’t have a “Pearl” in your life before – you do now. I hope everyone holds a little bit of Pearl Clemmons in their hearts forever and shares some of that with others. :)

Posted by Nancy Naigle | October 31, 2011, 12:29 pm
  17. I love the Pearlisms too. Pearl sounds like the type of woman I’d love to spend time with. I think everyone needs at least one Pearl in their life.

Posted by PatriciaW | October 31, 2011, 12:18 pm
  18. Nice excerpt! Congrats on your road to success! I’m there right now, as you were in the beginning and learning everyday.
    Thanks,
    Neecy

Posted by Neecy | October 31, 2011, 12:59 pm
  19. Hi Nancy!

I like reading both small town and big city stories. For me, it’s all about the characters. Pearl sounds fabulous.

Thanks for the pumpkin recipe. Pumpkin is one of the reasons why I love fall.

Happy Halloween everyone!

Posted by Jennifer Tanner | October 31, 2011, 1:31 pm
  20. Pumpkin is one of the things that I love about fall, too.

There’s a roasted pumpkin seed recipe on my nancynaigle.wordpress.com page if you’re feeling adventurous. They are yummy. A reader and friend from here in Virginia, Kim, sent that recipe to me.

Posted by Nancy Naigle | October 31, 2011, 2:13 pm
  21. Nancy –

We may have other folks stop by, but I just wanted to say thank you for visiting RU today and sharing your story.

I’m off to make homemade Halloween pizza with my guys!

Hugs,

Posted by Kelsey Browning | October 31, 2011, 7:16 pm
  22. Nancy, I love the sound of the Adam’s Grove and of Pearl. My sign off on my blog says who I am … fOIS In The City … and I arrogantly expect everyone in the world to know there is but ONE city. You know where Frankie tells us if you can make it there?? The other side of my life was spent with my mother’s family in Dutchess County, apple country in NYC … those polar opposites leave me with an enduring love of big city life and the easy feel of rural life. Thanks for the inspiration and the advice. It is very hard to wait, but it would be harder to give :)

Posted by florence fois | November 1, 2011, 10:34 pm
  23. Tenacity and patience. Yep. I agree. Those are definitely traits authors have to have (or learn). Congratulations on your release, Nancy. And I love Pearl without having yet read a page. Well done! :)

Posted by Laurie Ryan | November 3, 2011, 11:12 am
  24. Laurie Ryan, you’re the lucky winner of Nancy’s giveaway. Please drop me your snail mail addy at Kelsey@KelseyBrowning.com and we’ll get Sweet Tea and Secrets out to you!

Posted by Kelsey Browning | November 6, 2011, 11:38 am