Posted On August 3, 2012 by Print This Post

Chocolate, Wine, Books, Sex or Shoes with Laurie Schnebly Campbell

Writing a 60,000-word manuscript isn’t easy – but writing a 60-word blurb? Laurie Schnebly Campbell says applying a few basic advertising principles can help.

CHOCOLATE, WINE, COFFEE, SEX OR SHOES

by Laurie Schnebly Campbell

We all have words that jump out at us.

So do the people who read our books.

That’s what makes it crucial to FIND those words when you’re writing a blurb for your book.

Your blurb is what readers will see on the back cover. And on your website. They’ll see it in your bio with articles, in newsletters from bookstores, in reviews posted near your release date, and — perhaps most important — they’ll see it when they’re browsing online for a great read.

What Blurbs Do

You’ve seen blurbs that made you think “I’ve gotta get that book!” You’ve also seen blurbs that made you think “Nope, not what I want” and others that make you think “Hmm…keep browsing.”

So how can you write a blurb that makes everyone think “I’ve gotta get that book!”?

The fact is, you can’t. No matter how great your book, it’s not going to thrill every reader in the world. Someone seeking a cookbook doesn’t want a story about fly fishing. Someone who wants a thriller won’t be satisfied with women’s fiction. Someone shopping for first-graders doesn’t want a romance novel.

That’s okay. You don’t care about those readers.

The readers you want already know what they’re looking for…and it’s the kind of book you write.

What about your book will appeal to them? That’s what your blurb needs to feature.

Creating Your Blurb

Some writers have an easier time creating a 60,000-word manuscript than a 60-word blurb. Or 30 words, or 150, or whatever length you decide on — and by the way, it’s good to have different lengths available for different uses.
I used to think I was incredibly gifted because I had a much easier time writing blurbs than manuscripts, until I discovered my gift wasn’t actually a special talent. It was from my day-job experience of writing ads.

Because, really, your blurb is an ad for your book. You’ve noticed how the headline of a magazine ad either draws you in or makes you turn the page, right? The first line of your blurb is exactly the same way.

Websites that track the eye movement of people reading them (and I have no idea how they do it!) found that readers who aren’t captured within the first eight seconds are lost. How many words can you read in eight seconds? The average adult reads 200-300 per minute, so this gives you about 30 words to capture their interest.

And how do you choose those words? This is where it helps to think like an advertising copywriter.

The Advertising Basics

* Know what your audience wants. If you’re not sure, ask them.

* Know what YOUR book offers that readers won’t necessarily get in ANOTHER book they might also enjoy. If you’re not sure, read others like your own.

* Know where your readers look for books, because that’ll affect which blurb you use where.

Yes, you’ll want different blurbs. Everyone browsing Amazon might see the same one, just like everyone reading the publisher’s catalog will see the same one, but if you’re indie-publishing you can change it as often as you like. You can even do test-marketing to see what works best.

Before you start testing, though, try writing half a dozen blurbs of (for instance) 30 words apiece. See which points you keep using. Odds are good that those reflect your opinion of what’s most special about the book.

Then run those samples by people who know your book. Do they feel like you’ve left out something vital? What is it?

You can play with this for as long as you like, until you absolutely HAVE to get blurbs out to the public. But thinking about your blurb, even before you’ve finished your book, is a handy thing when it comes to marketing.

Which Leads To…

If you want some other tips on creating a blurb that’ll attract readers, you could win free registration to August’s yahoogroups class on “Blurbing Your Book”  just by leaving a comment before tonight’s prize drawing.
And since I’d love to get some comments I can quote during that class, here’s my question for you:

When you’re browsing for a book — not one you’ve already chosen because you love that author / topic, but when you don’t have any particular book in mind and just want to view some possibilities — what do you do?
I can’t wait to find out!

Polish those Pitches Romance Writers! Join us Mon, Aug 6 for a full day of pitching to editor Ashley Christman of Entranced Publishing – she’ll comment on each one!

Laurie’s Bio:

Laurie Schnebly Campbell combines work for a Phoenix ad agency with teaching other novelists about the craft of writing. She’s also published half a dozen romances (including one that won “Best Special Edition of the Year” over Nora Roberts) and a how-to for fiction writers on creating believable characters. Check out her August workshop on blurbs — and more — at www.BookLaurie.com.

Blurbs

59 Responses to “Chocolate, Wine, Books, Sex or Shoes with Laurie Schnebly Campbell”

1. What a great piece of information, thank you! Bookmarked it for future reference. As to what grabs my attention, it’s hard to say. It has to intrigue me, the premise. And I personally like a little love or at least a bit of like in stories that I read. It’s hard to put into words, but I definitely know it when I read it.

purdueliz @ gmail dot com

Posted by Stephanie | August 3, 2012, 12:31 am
    • Stephanie, how cool that you bookmarked this — and that you’ll need it at some point; gotta love the prospect of drawing readers to your books. With phrases like “a little love or at least a bit of like,” I’m betting they have a fabulous voice already!

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 7:56 am
  2. OMG I envy you finding it easy to write a blurb. I would rather write a whole book, or at least a novella than a blurb. I have such a hard time distilling the book down. But to answer your question, because I’m a writer now I look at the first lines of books.

Posted by Suzanne | August 3, 2012, 6:32 am
    • Suzanne, I’m right there with you in letting the first lines decide for me if a book is worth reading…it’s a lot harder to be misled by that than by a cover the author might not have had anything to do with. As for favorite opening lines, that’d be a whole other (and very fun) question. :)

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 7:58 am
  3. Morning Laurie!!!

Great to have you back again…=)

I have a selection of authors I never even read the blurbs for – I just buy the book! But when I’m just wandering through the book store? (oh joy!) It’s the cover first, then the blurb. And you are right, it’s usually the first paragraph that grabs me or doesn’t. If I’ve read long enough to get to the second or third paragraphs of a blurb, I’m generally caught and will buy the book.

What catches me? lol…I can’t put it into words either. Sometimes a story line, sometimes a voice. It’s the undefinable. But definitely Chocolate, Wine, Books, Sex or Shoes are great keywords to catch my attention!

Posted by Carrie Spencer | August 3, 2012, 6:32 am
    • Carrie, “the undefinable” is a great description! And I’m kicking myself for not remembering whether I used Coffee or Books as the fifth keyword — also wondering how I ever could’ve viewed coffee as more appealing than books. Must’ve been thinking of my husband, who’d take coffee anytime…no accounting for taste, is there?

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 8:00 am
  4. I’ve been concentrating on blurbs lately, both reading what others have written and writing for my own stories. I’m one of the (probably few) people who hardly look at covers to attract me to a book. Seen one half-naked man, seen them all–sort of. LOL The title is usually what gets my attention.

Anyway, I always read the blurbs. That’s what gets me to buy a book.

I’m self-pubbed, so the idea of market research with blurbs is great!

Thanks!

Posted by Ann Macela | August 3, 2012, 7:24 am
    • Ann, I love “seen one half-naked man, seen them all” — gotta wonder what the cover artists are thinking of! Although actually, we KNOW they’re thinking “easily understood reference to passion,” but it’d sure be nice to see some variations on that, even if they’re not as easy to grasp at first glance. Too bad more of us are writers than visual artists, huh?

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 8:03 am
  5. Most of my book shopping these days has been online. I check out the blurbs of recommended titles from blogs and those that show up on Amazon based on the books I liked. Premise is a big factor, and so is originality.

Posted by Patricia Moussatche | August 3, 2012, 7:27 am
    • Patricia, premise and originality are great factors to consider…I like how those are tailored to specific tastes, because not every reader DOES want an original story. (Those looking for something comfortable to fall asleep with want a story where they can pretty well know what’s gonna happen on every page.) But shopping for distinctive favorites is what makes the right blurb so handy, and yours is a great example of why!

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 8:05 am
  6. I have to try the writing a bunch of 30-word blurbs.

Cover catches my attention first. Particular hero and heroine types catch my attention next, the tortured soul and the survivor. A storyline where they join forces either against a common enemy or an enemy of hero or the heroine. Interesting locations also catch my attention.

What turns me off right off are a hero and heroine who hate each other and want revenge on each other. I don’t find inflicting pain on someone romantic in any way.

Posted by Judy | August 3, 2012, 7:38 am
    • Judy, thanks for such specific details on what works (and doesn’t) work for you — this is the kind of thing we all want to know when writing blurbs. What are our ideal readers looking for? And anybody whose story involves painful revenge will save you time (and themselves a bad review) by including that in their blurb, so you can move right on to a story that better suits your taste. Win-win. :)

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 8:09 am
  7. Hi Laurie,

I read blurbs for story and voice. Done well they convey the feel of the book too. I’m currently writing blurbs for two books. It’s worse because I know I’m being graded by a potential reader.

Posted by Mary Jo Burke | August 3, 2012, 8:02 am
    • Mary Jo, you nailed one of the worst things about writing blurbs — feeling like we’re being graded CAN make it nerve-wracking to get the right words lined up. That feeling will occasionally cripple a writer doing a manuscript, although luckily most manage to set it aside long enough to finish the book…but writing something less familiar makes it harder to forget that omniscient Reader Judge [sigh].

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 8:12 am
  8. I think (and I haven’t really tried to analyze my reactions to blurbs before) that a “good” blurb needs to sketch out the core dynamic of the book in a way that sounds interesting to me.

If you describe your book as “an exploration of the depths of human evil and the redeeming power of love” (which is more about theme, I think), then I probably won’t care. If you tell me about, say, a sorceress who sets out to redeem her former master before his quest for revenge leads to his damnation, then I’m much more interested.

Then, of course, the dynamic described in the blurb should actually, y’know, be present in the book. But that’s another rant altogether.

Posted by Michael Mock | August 3, 2012, 8:16 am
    • Michael, good point on how the material in the blurb should actually be in the book — I’ll bet a lot of readers can still remember getting burned by some misleading blurb once in a while, and the sting of feeling betrayed by words we normally love and trust is awful! Although, hmm, maybe that could lead to a story about an author whose blurb writer is bound to a sorceress who…wanna take it from there?

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 5, 2012, 2:23 pm
  9. Hi, Laurie,

I do four things when I’m looking for a book. First, I look at the cover, because I can usually tell if it’s in my ballpark by the illustration. Then I read the blurb and if it appeals to me, I flip through looking for explicit sex, which (and this is just my preference–obviously the market sees it differently) I don’t care for in my books. Last (and this makes everyone I know scream), I read the last couple pages of the book. I’m a spoiler ho, so I don’t care if I know how it ends–I just want my HEA and I want to see how everything leads up to the ending. Weird, I know, but it’s worked for me for 50+ years.

Posted by Linda F. | August 3, 2012, 8:59 am
    • Linda, you’re perfect proof that there’s no such thing as a Truly Predictable Reader — and as long as reading the end first WORKS for you, that’s a great way to go! I’ll bet it’s tough judging contests, if you ever need to do that, when all they send is the synopsis and first three chapters…although with any luck the synopsis will tell you whether everything turns out okay. :)

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 9:09 am
  10. Laurie, it’s so nice to have a chance to stalk you again!

I think the thing that about a blurb that nabs me first is voice. I’ve read so many blurbs that the tried-and-true “When [something happens], then…” format is almost a snoozer. Of course, voice and premise are intertwined, so premise plays a big role, too.

Like a few other commenters, I hardly ever make a decision based soley on blurb (unless the book is by a favorite author). The first chapter can be a good gauge, but even then it’s not always reliable. I’ve read a couple of books lately in which the first chapter was dynamite…and then everything fell apart. So disappointing when that happens.

Your blurb class sounds like fun — but then your classes always are. :-)

Posted by Kathleen | August 3, 2012, 10:28 am
    • Kathleen, you’re a great one to talk about voice — because yours is so clear and you’re right, that’s extremely important! I’m always amazed by how few words it takes for a writer’s voice to come through, although after experimenting with five-word blurbs for books by Jane Austen and J.K. Rowling I’ve discovered that five words alone, drat it, won’t QUITE do the trick. [sigh]

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 10:51 am
  11. Thanks for a thought-provoking post, Laurie.

After years of reading blurbs, I now try to avoid them, because a few have given away key plot points. So unless I’m looking for a specific author, I choose by genre, cover, a scan of the first page, and a scan of a couple pages near the middle.

I love your idea of key words–a must in today’s SEO world!

Posted by MJ | August 3, 2012, 11:05 am
    • MJ, avoiding blurbs is a great way to avoid the horror of seeing a surprise revealed prematurely! I’ll never forget how shocked I was when the back cover of my first book gave away the secret of the (now 17-year-old) baby’s father, which I’d planned as this big dramatic revelation in the middle of the book. And how FURTHER shocked I was when friends said they didn’t care…but of course friends have to say that. :)

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 11:33 am
  12. Hi Laurie,

Excellent perspective on blurbs. Do blurbs relate to branding at all or am I totally off track?

Many times I’ll look at the back blurb of a book whose title interets me. I’ll read the blurb, but if I find a trigger word in the blurb that turns me off (or just affects me negatively), I’ll put the book back. But if the blurb intrigues me, I’ll probably buy the book, even if it’s from an author I’ve never read.

Darlene

Posted by Darlene | August 3, 2012, 11:10 am
    • Darlene, you’re right on track in thinking that blurbs relate to branding — same as everything else an author does (at least in public, and sometimes even in private) also becomes part of the brand. You’re the kind of reader authors want most, willing to pick up somebody previously unread just because the blurb is intriguing…we all want lots of readers like you!

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 11:36 am
  13. So glad I clicked on that link :-)

I have to say first, it’s the book cover,and then the first line.

I can’t make myself read the first paragraph if I’m already bored… Nothing would sink in :-)

What hooks me is the first sentence. I need to know who, what, when, and where.

I ran upstairs and pulled a book from my bookshelf and I hope it’s okay to quote the first line of a series I adore :-)

“In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there’s a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers.” – J.R. Ward, Dark Lovers.

I was hook and have bought every book in the series :-)

Brandie

Posted by Brandie Nickerson | August 3, 2012, 11:11 am
    • Brandie, talk about a fabulous example of an opening line that WORKS. Look at all the great keywords in there — we can bet that while people seeking a cozy inspirational might decide “not my cup of tea,” people intrigued by mystery and small towns and gangs and paranormal conflict and evocative detail are going to immediately decide “yep, I’ve gotta know more!”

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 11:39 am
  14. Cover art attracts my attention. Shiny objects, ya’ know? But then on to the back copy, and if it’s intriguing I’ll buy it. Is it just me, though, or do some of the blurbs on Amazon seem confusing at times?

I do have certain key words or concepts that I go for, however.

A blurb can also have another use, though! I wrote one after your Plotting via Motivation class, Laurie, (dunno if you remember me!) and as I was churning my way through the first drafts, it kept me from getting too far astray as it reminded me of the key concepts that made me want to tell the story. It was brutal to write at the time, but I’m so glad I did it when I did it. I’d probably have given up otherwise, lol!

Callene

Posted by Callene Rapp | August 3, 2012, 12:10 pm
  15. Welcome back, Laurie!

I’d say a good looking cover catches my attention first. I’ll read the blurb and the back cover of the book. If it’s well done and the plot is intriguing (and plausible), I usually buy the book. However, the blurb has to give me some insight into the H/H’s personality. I’m also picky about the H/H’s names. It’s a peeve I’ve had since I was a kid. I couldn’t stand heroines named Hortense. :)

I haven’t written many blurbs, but sometimes it is easier to get the blurb down first and then write the story.

Posted by Jennifer Tanner | August 3, 2012, 1:17 pm
    • Jennifer, good point about doing the blurb BEFORE the book — that’s the reasoning a lot of writers use for writing the synopsis first, figuring it’ll help them identify the most crucial (and exciting) points of the story so now it’s just a matter of telling that story. But we’ll hope, for your sake, that none of those stories wind up with a heroine named Hortense!

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 1:47 pm
  16. Hi Laurie!

Writing blurbs are difficult. The controlling premise I write before starting a WIP usually gives me a starting point for my blurb. I love how you approach book blurbs from an advertising point of view! Blurbs are more than summarizing a story they need to sell it.

Posted by Haley Whitehall | August 3, 2012, 2:20 pm
    • Haley, good point about the blurb being more than a summary…it really IS a sales tool. And a lot of fiction writers tend to get intimidating when it comes to writing sales pieces, because we think of ourselves as storytellers rather than sales people. It’s true that both kinds of writing require different skills, but it’s also true that writing is writing — anybody who cares about the effect a certain collection of words has, whether for telling a story or selling a book, is going through the exact same process. (And does this sound like a commercial for advertising, or what? :) )

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2012, 2:36 pm
  17. I’m one of those writers who prefers to write the novel rather than the back cover blurb or the synopsis. I’m looking to the class for techniques to simplify the process and take the stress out.

Posted by JoAnnAinsworth | August 3, 2012, 2:58 pm
    • JoAnn, it’s lucky for your readers that you WOULD rather write the novel — that way they don’t have to wait as long. But once you can write blurbs with less stress, it’ll make the whole process (from original idea through blurb synopsis and novel) move faster than ever, so everybody involved will come out happy!

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 3:26 pm
  18. I’m really glad I clicked the link. I will confess, and I hope I don’t offend, but when I read the Sex, Chocolate thing, I almost passed, until I caught the: Writing a 60,000-word manuscript isn’t easy – but writing a 60-word blurb?

Blurbs are hard for me. So hard, as another poster said, I’d rather write six novels that’ll sit on my hard-drive and collect dust than attempt a blurb LOL.

Thank you so much for sharing. Is much appreciated.

Posted by Mercy | August 3, 2012, 3:03 pm
    • Mercy, thanks for a great example of how the wrong keywords can turn away a reader who might otherwise have wanted the book — I’m so glad you didn’t stop right after Sex & Chocolate, but kept on going to the keyword that DID strike you as something worth pursuing. And that’s where blurbs come in handy, when a title doesn’t quite sound like what a reader wants…there’s a second chance for attracting interest. :)

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 3:29 pm
  19. As always, Laurie, fabulous tips!

What do I look for? The cover is always what I look to first. If the blurb lives up to the cover and seems to be something a little bit different, I’ll pick it up. I may or may not read the first page. The cover and blurb is usually enough for me. As for writing them, well, I don’t hate writing them quite as much as writing the synopsis. :-)

Posted by Ros | August 3, 2012, 3:44 pm
    • Ros, you’ve got a good point about the blurb living up to the cover — once in a while, there’ll be a book where it looks like the writer and the artist were focused on completely different stories. But when it’s “a little bit different,” as you say, that’s more intriguing…regardless of what creates the sense of Something We Haven’t Seen Already.

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 4:32 pm
  20. Laurie, thanks for the information. Sometimes the cover will catch my attention, but more often the blurb will make the difference in whether I choose a book or not. If I had to choose, I think its whether I connect with the hero and heroine in those few sentences. I’m polishing my first romance, so the information on blurbs will come in handy soon. I also bookmarked this page.

Posted by Stephanie Berget | August 3, 2012, 3:49 pm
    • Stephanie, talk about fabulous timing — congratulations on polishing your first romance! And what a lovely insight about connecting with the hero and heroine in the blurb; that’s a great tool for reaching readers (not to mention a faster tool than reading the entire first chapter). It’s more likely to create a sense of recognition than most cover art, as well…although who WOULDN’T like to be in some of those settings?

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 4:36 pm
  21. I don’t usually have too much trouble writing a blurb — I actually will write a blurb while I’m outlining the story. That way, if I get sidetracked by a subplot, I can go back and read my blurb and give myself a mental kick in the pants. (I also find that having other writers read the blurb and tell me what they’re getting from it can help with honing the text.)

As for what I look for in blurbs? The premise has to be clear, and the main character has to have a strong personality. Other than that, I want specifics. I don’t want cliches or over-used statements meant to portray what that character has to do (e.g. ‘Will she be able to follow her dreams?’, or ‘He had to conquer his fears.’, etc.)

Oh, and I almost forgot: if you are talking about the journies/quest/etc. of more than one character, do one character per paragraph. Don’t jump back and forth. :)

Posted by Alyssa Linn Palmer | August 3, 2012, 3:57 pm
    • Alyssa, good call on the importance of specifics — it’s hard to imagine a reader getting swept up by a question so generic that the answer would be the same no matter WHAT book they choose. I like your idea of quizzing other writers on what they expect from reading your blurb, as well; having some “independent observers” take a look is a great way of making sure we actually DID get the right points across!

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 4:39 pm
  22. I hope it’s not too late to comment. My way of choosing a good book is going to a bookstore or library with many on display. My favorite bookstore has them grouped into sections, so I can choose Romance or Mystery or History.

I look at the covers because sometimes I am in the mood for something humorous or serious. The cover will show which kind of book it is.

Posted by Naomi Phillips | August 3, 2012, 7:24 pm
    • Naomi, there’s a lot to be said for a display of books you can actually pick up and page through…makes it easy to see the cover AND the blurb AND the opening lines and even the ending if you want to peek ahead. Good point on cover art matching the mood of the book, assuming the artist is up to speed — although with indie publishing, that’s a pretty safe bet!

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 8:21 pm
  23. Thanks to Carrie for the blog invitation AND to everybody who posted today — it’s always such fun seeing book lovers talk about books. :)

Now, here’s a big “congratulations” to our #6 commenter, whose number came up on random-dog-org…Patricia, you win free registration to my August 6-31 class on Blurbing Your Book.

Just contact me at Book Laurie gmail etc with the email address you’d like to subscribe from — or if you’d rather award the prize to a friend, that’s fine as well.

I’ll check back Saturday in case anybody else comments late, and for now wish all of you a wonderful weekend!

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 3, 2012, 10:03 pm
  24. Laurie – I used to think I was drawn to blue book covers and sad faces – but now that I’m reviewing novels – I’m looking for those that promise multiple growth arcs — hopefully with a minimum of 3 characters. Before I buy, I like to read the 1st chapter, a middle and the last chapter. If it’s an author I regularly read – I simply buy the book. I’m specifically looking for voice.

Posted by Sheri de Grom | August 4, 2012, 5:26 pm
    • Sheri, it’s hard to imagine a better way of “getting” an author’s voice than reading the first-middle-last chapters…sounds like you don’t mind knowing the ending before you buy. I’m curious how you determine whether at least three characters will have growth arcs — is that by scanning several chapters, or does the blurb do the job there? Judging by your reviews, whatever you’re using works very nicely!

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 4, 2012, 6:19 pm
  25. First, I look at the cover. Then I read the blurb and the first page.

Anna Labno

Posted by Anna Labno | August 5, 2012, 7:57 pm
    • Anna, you’ve got a good one-two-three process there…seems like it’d be pretty hard to wind up disappointed with a book whose cover, blurb AND first page all look like something you’ll enjoy reading. And congratulations on starting your journey with ACFW — talk about a wonderful group of people!

Posted by Laurie Schnebly Campbell | August 5, 2012, 8:00 pm
  26. Thank you for such a great welcome.

I forgot to mention the title.

Blessings,

Anna Labno

Posted by Anna Labno | August 5, 2012, 11:15 pm
  27. I need to take this class! there is nothing harder than condensing your baby into less than 100 words.

Posted by Kim Carmichael | August 6, 2012, 10:37 pm