Posted On August 22, 2012 by Print This Post

Believe with Gerri Brousseau

First, let’s all congratulate Gerri on her brand-new grandbaby!  *hand claps all around*  Gerri was introduced to me by my buddy, Jennifer Fusco, and I have to say that I was intrigued by her upcoming debut, “A Pirate’s Ransom” – I mean, I automatically think of Johnny Depp – yum.  Her post is inspiring and hopeful and I think you will enjoy it.

Believe by Gerri Brousseau

Greetings to all readers at Romance University. Please allow me to introduce myself. I’m Gerri Brousseau and I’m very excited to share with you today. Let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time there was an eight year old girl who rather than spend her summers running with friends or riding bikes, she spent her summers with a spiral notebook and pencil, laying in the shade of the old maple tree, writing. This girl wrote stories about fictional characters. These stories were not worthy of being published, but the girl had no ambition for that. She did love to read.

The years passed and the girl went to high school. Did she try out for the cheerleading squad? Oh no, that was not where her interest led her. What did she do? I’m glad you asked. She wrote articles for and became the editor of the school newspaper. Did she ever give any thought to writing a novel? No, but she still was an avid reader.
The girl graduated from high school and went to college. There she had the opportunity to write short stories and although her English professors told her they enjoyed her fantasy tales, they also told her she would probably never amount to much. She set writing aside then as she had other interests to pursue, but when she discovered romance novels, her love for reading becoming more intense.

After college she married and had a family. Writing was a forgotten thought. She went from reading novels to reading bed-time stories. But still, there was never a consideration that writing would be part of her future.

Years passed and finally after reading more than one book per week during her 4-hour train ride to and from work per day, inspiration bloomed. Finally she decided to try her hand at writing a novel.
Did she succeed? Not at first, no. Oh, she wrote the novel but soon discovered the there was more to writing a book than just the writing. Much more. Relatives looked at her with sympathy in their gaze when she talked about writing, friends made negative comments and when the rejection letters started to come in, she became discouraged. Did she give up? No. She kept forging ahead and then, one day her book sold. Now her family and friends are all anxious to read her book and they are sending friend requests on Facebook. What changed? Nothing. The naysayers never stop, but the writer never listened to the negative comments. Rather she used them as encouragement to succeed. She believed in herself, believed in her story and above all, she never gave up. And who is this woman you ask? It’s me, of course.

You know way back when a baseball player by the name of Babe Ruth got the most hits. Do you know, he also got struck out the most? But if he didn’t step up to the plate and swing … he would have gotten nothing. And neither will you. If you are a writer and these things are happening to you, I encourage you to keep going. Keep writing. Believe in yourself and your work and have the courage to step up to the plate.

Yes, I did indeed write my first novel on a train. My second was written on a lap top in my living room and out on my deck. My friends now say, they always knew I would get published. Everyone is so excited for the release of A Pirate’s Ransom. They can hardly wait … well, today – the wait is over.

A Pirate’s Ransom is my debut novel. It is the story of Lady Catherine Nettleton who is filled with despair as she boards the ship for England, and toward marriage to man she’s never met—the Duke of Devonshire. But the sea is no place for a lady. She’s captured by the Pirate Captain, Edmund Drake and held for ransom; a ransom that has nothing to do with coin. But when she’s stolen from him, he realizes she has captured his heart. She becomes the pawn in a dangerous rivalry between two pirates—the handsome pirate Captain Edmund Drake and his notorious and fearsome opponent, Blackbeard. How far will Captain Drake go to reclaim his prize? Which pirate will decide her fate? And who will pay … A Pirate’s Ransom?
Would you like a little excerpt? You would? Ok … well, here you go ….

My hand rested on the smooth wood of the rail while I watched the moonlight dance upon the waves, the sound of the wind in the sails was almost liberating. I don’t know how long he stood behind me in silence but when I sensed his presence, my backbone stiffened. What was it about this man that riled me so?

He took a few steps closer. “Catherine,” he said in a voice just above a whisper. The deepness of his murmur caused my mind to wander. Why was I picturing him using this tone with a lover? My back stiffened further and I chided myself for allowing my thoughts to wander in that direction. Refusing to face him, I kept my gaze upon the water.

“It would give me great pleasure if you would do me the honor of dining with me this evening.” He seemed to purr.

He inched closer and the heat of his body radiated into my rigid back. Placing one hand upon my shoulder and his lips close to my ear he whispered, “Please.”

The heat of his whisper caressed my ear and the tension seemed to melt away from me. I closed my eyes and tried to swallow the lump in my throat.

“You look truly beautiful this evening, Milady.” His hoarse whisper scorched my neck and goose bumps ran up my arms. He stood so close that when I relaxed, my back nestled against his chest. His body was hard and warm and the intoxicating smell of him made me dizzy. Heat spread through me in a sensation I had never experienced before as his soft lips gently brushed my neck, but my heart nearly stopped when he whispered, “but not nearly as lovely as you looked this afternoon in the mirror.”

I have always loved the romantic idea of being swept away by a handsome pirate and I hope that you enjoy reading A Pirate’s Ransom as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Now for some fun stuff. I am having a contest. Please visit my website at http://www.gerribrousseau.com and click on “Claim the Ransom” to enter. One winner will be selected and this lucky person will be sailing away with all the booty. Good luck to all.

***

What things were thrown in the path of your writing career? Did you continue to believe?

Tara Fuller is here tomorrow to talk about Romance in YA Fiction.

***

Lady Catherine was filled with despair as she boarded the ship to England and to an arranged marriage she dreads. But when the ship is captured by pirates, she is the only thing taken … taken by the handsome pirate captain, Edmund Drake, and held for ransom … a ransom that has nothing to do with coin. When she is stolen from him, he discovers she has captured his heart. She soon becomes a pawn in a dangerous rivalry between two pirates when she is abducted by Drake’s fearsome opponent. How far will he go to reclaim his prize? Which pirate will decide her fate? And who will pay A Pirate’s Ransom?

Coming to you from Soul Mate Publishing in August 22, 2012.

Purchase Link

Bio:
Gerri was born and raised in Waterbury, Connecticut. She attended Central Connecticut State University where she majored in English Literature. Although she lived on the west coast for several years, she relocated back to her roots and birth place of Connecticut, where she presently resides with her two pugs, Mimi and Milo and her cats, Louise and Harry.

As a young girl growing up in Waterbury, Gerri spent her summers writing stories and often times, together with neighboring girls her age, would present original plays for an audience of their parents. When she moved back to Connecticut, Gerri took a job that required her to commute 4 hours a day by train to and from work. After about a year and a half of reading at least a book a week, she decided to make the time work for her, when one night after a strange dream about a dream catcher, she was inspired to write According To Legend. Most of the novel was written while she commuted on the train. Because of the vast adventures in her life, both planned and unplanned … enjoyed and regretted … and her ability for story telling, when a corporate restructure eliminated her job, she walked away from the legal field, where she had spent many years, and decided the time was right to pursue a career in writing. Since that time, Gerri has also written A Pirate’s Ransom. She has signed with Soul Mate Publishing. Release dates see are below.

While she has always been an avid reader, Gerri finds it much more satisfying being a writer. She enjoys spending time with her son, listening to him play his guitar and write music, and with his bride. She also enjoys spending time with her pugs, and of course, the cats, Louise and Harry, as well as hiking, dancing, and listening to music. Her passion had always been cooking, and although she still spends her fair share of time in the kitchen, this passion has been replaced by her love for story telling. These days, she always has a pad and pen with her, or her laptop.

Lest you think all of her time is spent in contemplative pursuits, freefalling out of airplanes gave a whole new meaning to the word “adventure”. Yes, a former skydiver who chose to retire from the sport after one too many close calls, Gerri assures us that freefall is totally exhilarating and one of the most amazing and thrilling experiences anyone can have. Her energy and zest for life is found in the imaginative and page turning adventures she writes.

In addition to her writing, Gerri also speaks at writers groups and conferences.

Similar Posts:

Share Button

Debut Author

Discussion

14 Responses to “Believe with Gerri Brousseau”

1. Morning Gerri!

And congrats on your being a grandma! How exciting!

I’m glad you kept believing past the naysayers ….your book sounds fabulous!

There’s tons of things that have been tossed in my path – too many to mention, but I’m still going….and going…and going…..lol….energizer bunny writer! That path may be a bit longer than I expected (I’d planned on maybe 2-3 months before I’d written my best selling novel and sold it) but I’ll get there. =)

Thanks for posting with us today!

carrie

Posted by Carrie Spencer | August 22, 2012, 6:09 am
  2. Gerri,

Thank you so much for sharing your journey to publication, a journey to which I can definitely relate. The writing community is such an encouraging and supportive one. Every personal story shared is often just the inspiration needed by many of us.

Posted by Roxanne | August 22, 2012, 6:24 am
  3. Hi Gerri,

Nothing like the train to get the creative juices flowing. I used to watch my fellow passengers and make up stories about them. Congratulations on your book and grandbaby. My nephew wants to be a pirate when he grows up.

Mary Jo

Posted by Mary Jo Burke | August 22, 2012, 7:31 am
  4. Good morning, Gerri. Thank you for a dose of inspiration today.

I think as writers we always have something that gets thrown in our path. This is a tough business. We send our work out to the masses and keep our fingers crossed that our audience will like it. Most people don’t go to an office and have that happen. LOL.

What’s amazing about writers is we all face it and we all understand the ups and downs of this business. There’s always someone who understands what we are going through, and I think sometimes that’s all we need in this crazy, exciting business.

Thanks for a great post.

Posted by Adrienne Giordano | August 22, 2012, 8:31 am
  5. It’s so nice to meet you, Gerri!

First off, Congratulations on being a Grandma! That’s so great!

I have always believed that the mark of a great writer is to first (and always) be a great reader. Someone once told me that if you’re not writing, you better be reading.

The problem for me sometimes lies in the fact reading is a something I reward myself with and writing is something which, while I enjoy it, I tell myself I need to do.

It’s exciting to here a story such as yours where it all comes together and I wish you nothing but luck and good wishes!

All my best,
    HH

Posted by HH | August 22, 2012, 11:07 am
  6. Oooh, I love pirate stories! Thanks so much for sharing this with us, Gerri – wishing you much success!

Posted by Becke Martin Davis | August 22, 2012, 2:54 pm
  7. Welcome to RU, Gerri!

We’ve hosted many debut authors on RU, but I’ll never tire of hearing about their experiences and their road to publication.

The biggest obstacle in my writing is myself. :) My friends and family are very supportive. However, I do occasionally get the rapid eye blink and the accompanying vacant smile when I tell people I write romance.

Congratulations on your debut. I’m with Becke…I love a good pirate story!

Posted by Jennifer Tanner | August 22, 2012, 3:07 pm
    • Hi Jennifer
      Isn’t it funny how the “friends” and “relatives” roll their eyes, but change their tune once the book actually comes out and does well. As I said to Becke, if you get the chance to read A Pirate’s Ransom, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Posted by Gerri Brousseau | August 31, 2012, 7:11 pm
  8. To all readers at RU, I deeply apologize for my late comments, but I have been having a lot of computer issues. I hope you will see my replies. I’m thrilled to be here with you.

Posted by Gerri Brousseau | August 31, 2012, 7:12 pm

Post a comment

Upcoming Posts

• Sep 26, 2014 10 Tips for a Stand-out Facebook Event by Kelsey Browning

Subscribe

Writer's Digest: 2013 Best Writing Websites (2013) 100-BEST-WEBSITES-2014 Top 10 badge 2012

Follow Us