Posted On June 5, 2013 by Print This Post

Author Kate Meader: O.M.G., I’m Published! So I Can Relax Now, Right?

I met KATE MEADER when I moved to Illinois and joined the Chicago North chapter of RWA. I’m very excited to welcome Kate – this is her first stint as a Visiting Professor at RU.

I’m published! I never get tired of saying that. :-) Thanks so much for hosting this newly-published author on Romance University. FEEL THE HEAT, the first in my Chicago-set Hot in the Kitchen series about an Italian restaurant-owning family and the sexy, sizzling chefs who love them, released on May 7 from Forever Romance.

By the time this post goes up, my book will be coming up on its one month-iversary! FEEL THE HEAT is garnering decent reviews. Over the next year, I’ll have three books out in the wild. My agent and editor claim they love me (for now). Life is good, oui? Well, we writers are riddled with insecurities so it’s hard to answer that with an unequivocal ‘yes’ because since I signed on the dotted line, the insecurity has multiplied a hundred-fold. Can I write another book? (I can: ALL FIRED UP, the second book in the series is submitted and the next one, HOT AND BOTHERED is getting there.) Will anyone read them? Will I get another contract? Does this book make me look fat?

When I got my three-book deal from Forever/Grand Central in September 2012, I assumed it would be plain sailing from here on out. The pressure to get that contract was off and words would now flow like honey onto the page. The acquired skills, the years honing my craft, the improved time management would magically combine to free up my writer brain. The published authors out there know this for the bunk it is. Once I sold that first book, I officially became a business. I have deadlines, expectations, a professional code I must adhere to. Someone is paying me to do this, so I better squeeze my best effort out of every available minute. Performance anxiety, anyone?

But you did it once, the next time should be a snap, your friends and family will toss out. Just smile. Nod your head. Don’t go all writer-ninja on the people you love who only mean well. While you’re at it, suppress the temptation to reach into the computer screen and tweet-slap the person who just finished their 10K of wordage before lunch. Writing is hard, y’all, whether you’re pre-pubbed, just pubbed, or multi-pubbed. It was hard before and it’s hard now.

I know, I know. I have one of those whadayacallit… First World Problems or its more entitled cousin, First World Author Problems. I’m living the dream, baby! But there are days I cannot construct a sentence for the life of me and I have to read some of my previous work to remind myself that I can actually do this. Days I have to be careful not to let the doubt crow peck away at my confidence. Days I have to remember that somebody (actually, a few somebodies) thought I was worth publishing.

Mostly there are days I count myself blessed to have my health, my family, and a few stories knocking around that someone wants to read.

O.M.G., I’m published!

I never get tired of saying that.

*** Kate will be reading from FEEL THE HEAT at Lady Jane’s Salon in Naperville, Illinois on June 11. Stop by for chocolate, foodie swag, and other great authors!

FEEL THE HEAT by Kate Meader
Hot in the Kitchen, Book 1

FEEL-THE-HEAT-cover
IF YOU CAN’T STAND THE HEAT . . .
Photographer Lili DeLuca spends all her time managing her family’s Italian restaurant, instead of following her dream of getting an MFA. When famous British chef Jack Kilroy unexpectedly challenges her father to a cook-off, Lili decides she’s tired of playing it safe and vows to seduce the tempting Brit. But once a video of her and Jack kissing goes viral and her luscious butt starts trending on Twitter, Lili fears she’s cooked up a recipe for disaster.

. . . GET INTO THE BEDROOM
Jack Kilroy’s celebrity has left him feeling used and used up. While Lili’s oh-so-sexy moans when she tastes his delicious creations turn him on, he’s even more aroused by how unimpressed this beautiful, funny woman is with his fame. He knows they could be amazing together, if she could only see past his bitch fork-wielding fan base. Now, as he’s about to start a new prime time TV cooking show, can Jack convince Lili to realize her own ambitions – and turn up the heat in his kitchen?

For the writers out there, do you find writing gets easier or harder as you move along your journey?

The ever popular Handsome Hansel returns on Friday, June 7.

Bio:
KateMeader-author
Kate Meader writes contemporary romance that serves up delicious food, to-die-for heroes, and heroines with a dash of sass. Originally from Ireland, she cut her romance reader teeth on Catherine Cookson and Jilly Cooper novels, with some Mills & Boons thrown in for variety. Give her tales about brooding mill owners, oversexed equestrians, and men who can rock an apron, and she’s there. She has a bachelor’s in law (useless), a master’s in history (not as useless), and another master’s in library and information science (yay, using). When not writing about men who cook and the women who drool over them, she works in an academic library. Her stories are set in her adopted home town of Chicago, a city made for food, romance, and laughter – and where she met her own sexy hero. For news, excerpts, and recipes, check out her website at http://www.katemeader.com.

Links
Contact: kate.meader@gmail.com
Website: http://katemeader.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authorkatemeader
Twitter: @kittymeader
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6551743.Kate_Meader
Blogs: http://katemeader.com/blog/

Debut Author

28 Responses to “Author Kate Meader: O.M.G., I’m Published! So I Can Relax Now, Right?”

1. Kate – First World Author Problems are no joke! Congratulations on your tasty new release – I hope it’s the first of many! Thanks for a great post!

(Yes, I KNOW I’m not supposed to use exclamation points when I write, but the darn things keep slipping in to my comments!)

Posted by Becke Martin Davis | June 5, 2013, 12:15 am
  2. Easier? Surely you jest. It gets harder. But you already knew that, didn’t you? Still, nothing takes away the thrill of “I’m published.” Ever!

Posted by Blythe Gifford | June 5, 2013, 7:56 am
  3. What Blythe said. It also gets . . . different. I found my process has changed gradually over time, each story has had its own quirks to overcome, I did become a better writer (I hope), and despite all that, I’m still having fun. One thing I’ve noticed first-time-published authors don’t always realize: Once you have one book out, then it’s all about the next book, and the one after that, etc. Enjoy the rush of seeing the book, then get on with the next one. I’m looking forward to reading your first, Kate, while I’m on vacation.

Posted by Ann Macela | June 5, 2013, 8:12 am
  4. Hi Kate,

Listen to Blythe and Ann. It gets harder and different and funner. Saying “I’m published” the second times is sweeter.

Posted by Mary Jo Burke | June 5, 2013, 8:17 am
  5. Hi Kate!!
    You wrote this to torture me didn’t you? (megalomaniac much?)
    I’m not quite published yet, but I’m sold and waiting. (Sorry, I don’t really know what they call the likes of me).
    The word ‘Performance Anxiety’ jumped out at me and smacked me a few times in the head when I read this. How-oh-how do you get past it??
    Can’t wait to see you at LJS and OMG, Congratulations!!!
    Sonali

Posted by Sonali Dev | June 5, 2013, 8:18 am
  6. Hi Sonali!!
    Yes, I had you in mind when I wrote this ;) You’re in that delicious in-between honeymoon phase: you have the industry validation without any of the worries that come later – reviews, sales, how to promo while you’re trying to write the next book. Enjoy it! And write like the wind now because your time will not be your own come publication day. I’m so happy for you and all your amazing successes!

Posted by Kate Meader | June 5, 2013, 9:08 am
  7. It’s nice to know that even when the economy is, shall we say, less than ideal, publishers are still buying books from debut authors!

Posted by Becke Martin Davis | June 5, 2013, 2:20 pm
    • I think publishers are taking more risks now, especially by putting out digital-first lines. That’s my situation – e-first with POD trade at the same time, then MM paperback a few months later. With the success of so many self-published authors and the rise of NA, publishers are seeing that what’s popular now might not correspond to their standard playbooks for acquisition.

Posted by Kate Meader | June 5, 2013, 2:34 pm
  8. Afternoon Kate!

Susan Sey posted with us awhile back about the trials and tribulations of writing the second book….until then, I’d always thought that once you sold, you were golden. Hah!

How do you talk yourself past the doubts and the days you can’t write a sentence?

Posted by Carrie Spencer | June 5, 2013, 2:54 pm
    • Hi Carrie! The doubts are fairly bad during the early drafts of suckage, so I try to write all the scenes I’m excited about first to keep me inspired. This means that I write out of order, but I find it works to keep me motivated and confident through those early days. The doubt really sets in when I look at the word lump a month later and go, now what? There’s some pretty raw and unreadable stuff in there that makes me question why anyone published me. But I was serious in the post about checking in with something I’ve already written and that I’m proud of! I read it and do a mental touchdown and then try to apply that little endorphin rush to a knotty scene. Doesn’t always work, but the times it does make it all worthwhile.

Posted by Kate Meader | June 5, 2013, 4:08 pm
  9. Amen, Kate! I think you’ve pretty much summed up what every author goes through after their first book is published.

I know I wasn’t prepared for it! I like to look at it as a learning experience. The skills I learned during all that angst and self-doubt taught me how to push through when I never thought I’d be able to. I think it’s all part of the growth process.

Wonderful post! See you at Lady Jane’s for your next book!

Posted by Adrienne Giordano | June 5, 2013, 4:16 pm
    • Oh yeah, Adrienne – character is being built! I’ve learned so much in the last two years and grown a lot as a writer. It’s also made me come out of my shell somewhat, too. I’m still a scaredy-cat introvert but I’m getting better. Looking forward to seeing you at Lady Jane’s on Tuesday :)

Posted by Kate Meader | June 5, 2013, 4:33 pm
  10. Kate – I’m not sure if this has come up, but when are the scheduled release dates for the other books in this series?

Posted by Becke Martin Davis | June 5, 2013, 7:51 pm
    • Thanks, Becke! Your check’s in the mail *wink, wink* ALL FIRED UP, Book 2 in the Hot in the Kitchen series will be released in November, but I don’t have an exact date yet (the book sites say August 6 but it was pushed back). Book 3, HOT AND BOTHERED has not yet been assigned a release date. FEEL THE HEAT is already out and will have a mass market paperback run in January 2014!

Posted by Kate Meader | June 5, 2013, 7:56 pm
  11. I have my copy of FEEL THE HEAT – I’m looking forward to reading it soon. (I’m babysitting every day right now so not much time for reading.)

Posted by Becke Martin Davis | June 5, 2013, 8:14 pm
  12. Kate – Thanks so much for visiting with us today. It’s been fun!

Posted by Becke Martin Davis | June 5, 2013, 10:58 pm
  13. Kate, congratulations! Been where you are, and expect to remain there for years to come. :) Hope you do, too. The book sounds great!! Love the cover and the blurb.

Posted by Stacey Joy Netzel | June 6, 2013, 8:54 am
  14. Yay for being published (and yay for honest enthusiasm!) I know it’s often said writing a book is akin to having a baby, and I was reminded of this comparison again when you talk of the “honeymoon” phase post-sale and pre-release.

Congratulations on Feel the Heat’s success!

PS – I don’t think there is a book in existence that could make you look fat, woman ;)

Posted by Melonie | June 6, 2013, 10:27 pm