- Romance University - http://romanceuniversity.org -
High-Stylin’ Research with Avery Flynn
Posted By Robin Covington On May 30, 2014 @ 12:01 am In Category Romance,Craft of Writing,Genres,Research,Romantic Suspense | 4 Comments
Avery Flynn discusses the way she used research to bring authenticity and depth to her books. Welcome Avery!
Since my fashion fairy godmother isn’t here yet, my wish hasn’t come true, but I’ve got the next best thing—I’ve made them disappear from the pages of my fashion-based romantic suspense Killer Style series. Hey, being a writer has to have some perks.
One of the other checkmarks in the advantages column is getting the research all of the things that interest me. For this series that meant utilizing all of the resources the mighty internet could provide. That is the beauty of the internet, no matter what cave (or Panera) we’re typing away at, we can always find experts to talk to. Here are some of the places that I turn to when researching.
1. YouTube. Don’t laugh. There are vloggers on just about any topic you’re looking for on YouTube and they love to chat. Plus you can watch 80s music videos and learn how to re-place a bathtub faucet. I haven’t worked that last one into a book yet, but give me time.
2. Bloggers. Just like we authors have contact pages on our websites, so do bloggers and best of all, they answer. Most of the fashion bloggers I’ve spoken with have been amazingly gener-ous with their time in answering all sorts of industry-related questions.
3. Social Media. Hashtags and handles can be your friend. The other day I needed to know where to store an extra helmet on a specific motorcycle. I put it on Twitter using the manu-facturer’s handle and BAM! got an almost immediate response from the manufacturer.
4. That Thing I Use Mainly To Text. A phone, yeah that’s what it’s called. There’s nothing quite like having someone with years of experience add in the sensory details of a fashion show or explain how to kill someone with a specific poison. Why yes, there is an unmarked FBI car in front of my house. Why do you ask?
5. RWA Chapters. Bias alert, I’m the president of the Kiss of Death Chapter. Still, it is amazing the amount of information I’ve gained from fellow KOD members, the other chapters I be-long to and RWA in general. When I can’t find something anywhere else, I turn to them and more often than not they steer me in the right direction.
So what are some of your favorite research resources on the web? Share them in the comments and don’t forget to enter to win the This Year’s Black $500 Escape giveaway!
This Year’s Black by Avery Flynn
“Incredible writing with witty humor and scorching sex scenes. This Year’s Black belongs at the top of everyone’s TBR list.”– New York Times bestselling author, Gina L. Maxwell
A fighter since birth, Allegra “Ryder” Falcon would rather trade in her all-black wardrobe for head-to-toe hot pink than let anyone ever see the cracks in her tough exterior. But one night with a stranger changes everything.
Devin Harris may have given up his MMA fighting dreams for high fashion, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t always in control. So when someone embezzles millions under his watch, he isn’t going to let the private investigator working the case go it alone–even if she is the woman who blew him away in bed and then blew him off.
Just when it seems like it couldn’t get any hotter between Ryder and Devin, the case takes them to a tropical paradise where the danger increases. From the catwalk to the pineapple fields, they have to work together to track down the missing millions before the thief finds–and kills–them.
Avery Flynn has three slightly-wild children, loves a hockey-addicted husband and is desperately hoping someone invents the coffee IV drip. Find her here: Website, Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook page, Facebook profile, Goodreads, BookLikes
Article printed from Romance University: http://romanceuniversity.org
URL to article: http://romanceuniversity.org/2014/05/30/post-template-2/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: http://twitter.com/share?counturl=http%3A%2F%2Fromanceuniversity.org%2F2014%2F05%2F30%2Fpost-template-2%2F
 Image: http://romanceuniversity.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/FBHeadshot.jpg
 Image: http://romanceuniversity.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/ThisYearsBlackHighRes.jpg
 a Rafflecopter giveaway: http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/9fe4a514/
 Big Mouths Not Needed with Avery Flynn: http://romanceuniversity.org/2014/02/03/big-mouths-not-needed-with-avery-flynn/
 Slow Down by Avery Flynn: http://romanceuniversity.org/2012/02/20/slow-down-by-avery-flynn/
 Weekly Lecture Schedule for Oct 18-22: Lori Wilde, Ashley Hammen, Jeannie Ruesch & Lisa Plumley: http://romanceuniversity.org/2010/10/17/weekly-lecture-schedule-for-oct-18-22-lori-wilde-ashley-hammen-jeannie-ruesch-lisa-plumley/
 Weekly Lecture Schedule – July 21st to July 25th: http://romanceuniversity.org/2014/07/20/weekly-lecture-schedule-july-21st-to-july-25th/
 Weekly Lecture Schedule: Monday, Feb. 3 – Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014: http://romanceuniversity.org/2014/02/02/weekly-lecture-schedule-monday-feb-3-saturday-feb-8-2014/
 Image: http://www.hupso.com/share/
Copyright © 2009 romanceuniversity.org. All rights reserved.