Posted On November 8, 2014 by Print This Post

Love, HH

A funny thing happens when you write romance. Sure, you learn all about characterization, HEA’s and plot twists. But you also make friends. Dear friends. I’ve made those here at RU and around the web. And today I’m here to introduce the final post of someone I knew would make a great VP, then later discovered an enduring friendship. Handsome Hansel has been a regular contributor with RU for quite some time, posting his tongue-in-cheek posts and making the girls swoon with his photo. =) We bid HH our best as he turns the page to begin the next chapter in his life. ((((hugs)))) to you my friend.

I don’t want to write this post. Frankly, it hurts as I do.

As of today, I have to retire. I have to walk away from everything I’ve done and said in the last four years because of medical circumstances.

For over a year I have been having symptoms. For those of you who follow me on Twitter, you’ve probably noticed that I come and go and haven’t been as consistent as I was in the past. As well as my posts on my personal blog…it’s been hard for me to keep up.

Mid-October my fears were officially diagnosed. I’ve gone through all of the “stages”. I am now working with the right people to try and get through this.

Because of what I’m going through I feel it best to stand down as a contributor for RU. I am also going to shut down my Twitter feeds, etc. Right now, I have to concentrate on getting better, getting healthy. It’s possible. (I’m told.)

I’ll keep writing. I have to. As writers, that’s what keeps us alive some days. I’ll miss so much. For the next installment of my life, I just don’t know.

RU has been a saint and a savior for me. Everyone involved should be commended. My contact…Carrie…A saint. A friend.

I have to walk away from my potential. I’m forced to. I don’t like it. I’ll fight the good fight along the way but for now I have to concede. My book is done. I’ll do what it takes to get it out there. That I can do.

I love RU and I love Romance. Walking way from both is killing me softly inside. I’m struggling. But I have to.

Thank you all for your love and support over the years. It means SO much to me.

Love,
HH

Bio: Like most of us, I’ve been around the block a time or two (or three) in the relationship world. I like to think of myself as having a pretty thick skin, however, that skin doesn’t surround the heart.

I’ve been in love; I’ve been in lust. I’ve been hurt and got up to do it all again, each time having learned more of myself as well as “wants” and “don’t wants” for my next relationship. Amazingly enough, I never gave up on that one true love wrapped in Romance.

Handsome Hansel

26 Responses to “Love, HH”

1. Best wishes, HH. I’ll add you to my prayer list.

Posted by Karen R. Sanderson | November 8, 2014, 5:43 am
  2. Dear HH,

I have enjoyed your insightful posts on RU and please know that you have touched many, many writers’ lives.

Now, as you take on this next challenge, I will send you the white light of healing and prayers and good, positive thoughts.

I believe in happy endings and that you will receive yours.

Blessings,

Talia

Posted by Talia Pente | November 8, 2014, 7:43 am
  3. All my best. Get better!

Posted by Meg Silver | November 8, 2014, 8:17 am
  4. Wishing you all the luck, HH.

Posted by Becky Black | November 8, 2014, 8:22 am
  5. Best wishes, HH.

Posted by Carol Opalinski | November 8, 2014, 10:25 am
  6. HH…what to say? You’ve been a good friend. We’ve twisted on Twitter, done late night revisions on RU and emailed at all hours.

Please know my prayers are with you, and I do hope you’ll stay in touch. You know you can lean on me.

I’ll be there for you, friend.

Posted by Carrie Spencer | November 8, 2014, 10:46 am
  7. Good luck on your journey and know that you have a ton of support in the romance community. Sending good thoughts and prayers winging to heaven on your behalf, take care.

Posted by Jacquie Biggar | November 8, 2014, 10:53 am
  8. This via email..

I wish you the best!! Hope you get better…
    Shara Thepsenavong

Posted by Carrie Spencer | November 8, 2014, 11:07 am
  9. HH,

My heart breaks for you. I know what it is like to be in your position, but I want you to know that no matter how lonely the road may seem at times, you are not alone. We are all out here routing for you, keeping you in our thoughts and prayers and sending tons of love and healing energy your way.

Though we’ve only “met” virtually I’ve come to consider you a friend. I wish you only good on the path you must walk. No we would walk it beside you of we could and always remember you can reach out to us at any time. Sending you all the live and respect I have for you. Take care and become well my friend.

Posted by Tracy Riva | November 8, 2014, 11:31 am
  10. HH,

It saddens me to read your post. You’ve been a pioneer in the crazy world of romantic literature and your online presence will be missed more than you’ll ever know.

You’re in the hearts of your fans and we’re all pulling for you. Please keep in touch if you can.

Sending healing wishes and rainbows,
    xoxo
    ~S

Posted by Sandra Bunino | November 8, 2014, 11:31 am
  11. Oh no! I was so sad when I read this. I wish you the best, and I hope you get better very soon. Take care.

Posted by Delaney Diamond | November 8, 2014, 12:32 pm
  12. I’m so sad about this, and so sorry you have to deal with health problems. I guess it’s a sign of my age, but I know way too many people who are facing similar battles right now. I’m awed by the strength and determination it takes, but if anyone can beat this, you can!

I hope you’ll be back one of these days to tell us about the hard-fought battles you won on the way back to good health.

In the meantime, we’ll miss you and your posts. ((hugs))

Posted by Becke Martin Davis | November 8, 2014, 2:06 pm
  13. HH,

Thank you for being a part of the RU family. Stay strong and know that we’re keeping you in our thoughts.

Posted by Jennifer Tanner | November 8, 2014, 2:41 pm
  14. So sorry to read this post. You will truly be missed. I will send positive vibs your way.
    And I choose ‘Unforgettable’ for our last dance together–cheek-to-cheek.
    Love always,
    Marsha

Posted by Marsha Cornelius | November 8, 2014, 2:48 pm
  15. I’m so sorry to read this post, HH. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Best wishes for you and your family.

Posted by susan furlong | November 8, 2014, 6:09 pm
  16. Sorry to hear that this is your last post but your health is important. Thank you for allowing me into your world. But keep in touch; I’d love to hear about your progress.

Posted by Marcie | November 8, 2014, 6:31 pm
  17. All the best and I wish you better health very soon. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Posted by Robin Covington | November 8, 2014, 9:36 pm
  18. HH~
    Damn! Ok…
    If any one can persevere, it’s you. I’ve read of your commitment AND passion to living inline with Love and WellBeing.
    I introduce those same vibes into the Great Mystery for you now.
    Be Well, my friend.
    I am routing you on from afar.

Posted by Alexandra Folz | November 9, 2014, 11:05 am
  19. I’m sorry to read this post. I have never yet commented on this site though I read it religiously. I truly enjoyed your posts and I’m sorry that you need to withdraw from the RU community. But our thoughts and prayers are with you and we understand. Thanks for all your advice and I wish you better health soon. Take care.

Posted by Trish Loye | November 9, 2014, 11:07 am
  20. Prayers and well wishes for you. May your recovery be complete and speedy, friend.
    -Karen

Posted by Wodke Hawkinson | November 9, 2014, 10:03 pm
  21. So sorry to hear this. Your posts were always filled with humor and great advice.

My prayers are with you as you focus on winning the fight.

Posted by Tamara Hunter | November 10, 2014, 11:01 am
  22. This via email

Sending all the strength I am able to help you with your struggle. You will be victorious… you are a writer, and you know success. xoxo

Sally Newhart

Posted by Carrie Spencer | November 10, 2014, 5:02 pm
  23. HH,

I enjoyed your contributions to RU and wish you all the best. I look forward to the day you are back. Lacking the space for further comment here, I wrote my first blog post about you and hope you get a chance to read it: http://averymarsten.com

Posted by Avery Marsten | November 15, 2014, 1:51 pm
  24. You know where I stand. You’ll be fine. Get the help that you need.

Posted by Soraya E. | November 28, 2014, 7:20 pm

1. […] I was happy to find an email this morning from RU (dated November 8). It was about time for one from HH, wasn’t it? I clicked it open. Yes, there he was in his […]