Posted On November 19, 2014 by Print This Post

Publishing From Scrivener to Kindle with Pat Haggerty

pat_haggertyJust when you think you know everything Scrivener can do, you find out you can also publish to Kindle with it! Amazing, right? Just ask our brilliant tech guru Pat Haggerty how it’s done.

I love writing stories in Scrivener and I could wax long and eloquent on its many virtues, but now’s not the time. Assuming you’ve written something in Scrivener, at some point you are going to want to generate a finished output for your readers. That output step in Scrivener is called the compile. Scrivener offers a lot of options for compiling from doc files to txt, but today we are going to be taking a look at compile for Kindle.

Please note: for the sake of this article I will be using Scrivener 2.6 for Mac and Scrivener 1.7 for Windows, which at the time of this writing are the latest versions. If your Scrivener version is older then you should upgrade. If you are reading this at some wonderful point in the future, some compile details may change with time and the evolution of the Scrivener product.

Prepping the Formatting

First assumption: you have a book or partial book written and you’re ready to see it on your Kindle reader. If that’s not true, then quit surfing the web and go write.

Now that your book is written, let’s talk formatting. I’m a firm believer of the Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) principal when it comes to formatting. Before generating a compile for Kindle, strip out all unnecessary formatting. If you didn’t listen to me about writing and are still procrastinating, then at least remember these recommendations as you write so you won’t have to do any manual removals later.

Formatting I don’t like to see:

• Font changes
  • Text size changes
  • Large indented sections
  • Margins
  • Manual tabs at the beginnings of paragraphs (notice I said manual, if you have Scrivener setup so your editor makes it look like there are tabs, that’s ok)
  • Multiple returns between paragraphs (there should be only one)
  • Special characters like &@:;<> (Some are bigger issues on particular ebook platforms. If you really need a special character, leave it in and see how it compiles when you preview in Kindle. If it messes up your formatting, do a search online for HTML entities and learn other ways to insert the characters)
  • Header or footer data
  • Chapter titles manually typed into the manuscript
  • Title pages in the Manuscript folder

For the definitive list of what can and cannot be used in Kindle, see the KDP help section:

By the way, if you are planning on importing a book from Word to Scrivener and then publishing from there, clean the file up first in Word. Word even has the ability to search for tab characters and multiple returns so put those features to work.

Prepping the Binder

When you’re writing in Scrivener I recommend that you setup up your binder one of two ways. If you are the kind of writer that likes multiple scenes in each chapter then set up the binder’s Manuscript folder so each chapter has is its own folder and then the scenes are inside of the chapter folders. I would name the chapter folder whatever title you would like to see it have in the finished output. If your chapters won’t have titles but simple numbering, then name each chapter folder, Chapter. I don’t like to see folders named Chapter 1, Chapter 2, as I think it limits your ability to reorder things. For this group, your Scrivener binder will look something like:

image001

If you’re more like me and each scene is a chapter of it’s own then you can safely skip the whole chapter folder idea and simply create scenes. This option will generate a binder that looks more like:

image003

Prepping General Front Matter

Now that your formatting is all good-to-go, the next thing you need to think about is your Front Matter. Front Matter in Scrivener represents anything that will appear before your written story. This includes things like your cover, title page, copyright page, dedication, introduction, etc. This is the one place where a reasonable amount of special formatting is allowed. Creating this content should be done in your Binder’s “Front Matter” folder:

image005

You can manually type any content on these various pages that you need (just like you would when creating a scene) and again, it’s ok to use specialized formatting. If you’d like to include dynamic replacements, take a look at Project | Metadata Settings | Project Properties to start.

image007

So if I create a title page and insert <$projecttitle> bold and centered at the top, Scrivener will automatically output, “USMC Space Opera” come compile. Check out your Scrivener manual for other replacement options (total number of words, date, etc.).

Prepping Your Cover

Ah yes, the cover.

I don’t want to get into the importance of your cover and how it plays a HUGE role in the reader’s choice of book, or how it should look good big and as a thumbnail on the Amazon page, or how most users can pic an armature cover from a mile away. So I won’t. Suffice it to say that your cover is a big deal so hire someone and have it done right.

Amazon has some specs for your cover that you (and your designer) should keep in mind:

The sentence I’d like to draw special attention too is the one that reads, “For best quality, your image would be 2820 pixels on the shortest side and 4500 pixels on the longest side.” So please, make sure your cover is a .jpg file that’s 2820×4500. If you use a different size, it needs to have a long to short side ratio of 1.6 (so 4500/2820 is 1.6). See the above page for other recommendations.

Compile Settings

Getting closer. Next you need to setup your compile settings. In Scrivener chose File | Compile and make sure you are in the view of your settings that displays the most options. You can do that in Mac by selecting the All Options tab and in Windows, by pressing the down arrow next to Format As.

When compiling for Kindle, on the Contents tab set the Format As to “E-book,” the Compile For to “Kindle,” then check the Add front matter and set it to the folder in Front Matter containing the documents for this book.

Note how the front matter pages by default are set to compile “As-Is” which will preserve any special formatting that you have on them.

Mac:

image009

Win:

image011

The Separators settings allow you to determine where breaks should occur. If you read each of the categories on this tab they will explain exactly what they apply to. If each folder represents a new chapter, then you need Section (Page) Breaks between the folders and after any text file that comes before a folder. If you are using the scene only approach and don’t use folders, then you need a Section Break between each text file. Here is an example from my Mac where I was only using scenes and no folders:

image013

On the Cover tab, make sure your cover file from Front Matter is selected. If not, select it from the Cover Image combo box.

The Formatting tab is probably the least understood tab in the whole compile process. This is where you can choose the appearance of your chapter titles and of the separators between scenes (if any). Let’s take a look at the tab:

image015

The top half of the dialog you are seeing above controls the levels in your Manuscript hierarchy and the major options for those levels. In the bottom half you are seeing an example of the formatting to be applied to the selected Level. I have “Level 1+” selected and it has a little folder next to it, so this formatting is what a folder at any level would look like. These settings would be perfect for those of you using the Manuscript Folder = Chapter approach. Each folder should display Chapter X followed by the Title (folder name). It displays the title because I have that option checked in the top half. If you click Section Layout… then you will see that above the title will appear the prefix Chapter <$t>, or Chapter X followed by a return.

image017

Selecting any part of the sample text in the bottom window will allow for formatting of said text. So if I click on “Chapter One” to select it, I can then use the dialog to set the font, size, style, etc. Notice the A icon that can be used to open the font chooser.

image019

The bottom of the three default types, the single text file icon with Level 1+ next to it will control the style of your scene text files. If you’re like me and use scene files only with no folders, then make sure the Title option is checked to add the title (scene name) at the top of each new scene as well as the Text from the scene itself. Then use the same formatting approach to control your default text fonts.

Look through the next few tabs to see if there are any settings that you might benefit from but the defaults will probably be fine. Transformations can be used if you want to switch from smart quotes to straight or ellipsis to periods. Replacements is a good way to swap out character names or abbreviations and replace them with alternatives.

The final tab that needs some attention is KindleGen. Make sure that you have a big Change button on this tab and not a Choose button. If you see Choose then your kindle generator has not been installed. Head on over to the Amazon site and download KindleGen. While you’re there, make sure to get the Kindle Previewer as well. That will save you from having to delete the book every time you try to reimport it into your actual Kindle reader.

Once you have KindleGen install it and use the big Choose button to tell Scrivener where it is.

Summary

And that’s it. Hit the Compile button and generate the .mobi file. Open it with your Kindle Previewer and make sure it looks like you wanted. If there are any issues, fix them, regenerate the .mobi file, and use the Previewer again to check your fixes.

Since you will probably be using your compile settings multiple times, you might want to save them as a standard compile profile. While still in the compile dialog on Windows, press the Save Preset button, provide a name, and from then on your compile settings will be preserved as an option on the Format As menu. To do the same on Mac, in the compile settings drop the menu down for Format As and at the bottom of the list of choices select Manage Compile Format Presets. Hit the + and add your settings as one of the options.

And that’s it. Easy breezy.

If you have any question, don’t hesitate to ask them using a comment. I will try to get you an answer ASAP.

Got questions? Ask away!

Bio: After four years in the USMC, Patrick Haggerty studied Actuarial Science and Computers at Georgia State University. He has spent the past 15+ years developing and delivering technical training courses for Learning Tree International. On the side he has a successful consulting practice doing web application development for clients ranging from the United State Marines to Delta Airlines.

Seven years ago, stuck reading a mediocre book in yet another hotel, Patrick decided to try his hand at fiction. He may not be published, but these days you are much more likely to find him spending his evenings writing romance, than code. Patrick is an active member of RWA, RWAustralia, RW New Zealand, and is VP of Membership for Gulf Coast Romance Writers of America, and VP of OIRWA.

Self-Publishing

33 Responses to “Publishing From Scrivener to Kindle with Pat Haggerty”

1. Fantastic article! Thank you. Really a model of KISS (keeping it simple)!

Posted by Anna DePalo | November 19, 2014, 8:34 am
    • Thanks Anna, Yea, it’s tough putting, “Scrivener Compile” and “Keep it simple” in the same blog post but I tried to make it as easy as possible. Glad it helped.

Posted by Pat Haggerty | November 19, 2014, 10:10 am
  2. Morning Pat!

Oh so much information here! wow! Definitely bookmarked and can’t wait to try it when I get that far. =) Having taken the Scrivener class from you, this is a major bonus!

Posted by Carrie Spencer | November 19, 2014, 9:45 am
  3. I haven’t tried Scrivener yet but so many writers rave about it, I’m sure I’ll get to that point eventually.

Thanks for the tips, Pat!

Posted by Becke Martin Davis | November 19, 2014, 11:11 am
  4. Hi Pat,

I’m bookmarking this post. I’ve played around with Scrivener but have yet to use it on a regular basis. I need to check out your videos!

Posted by Jennifer Tanner | November 19, 2014, 5:59 pm
  5. Hi Pat,

I have Scrivener and love, love, love it. But I probably use about 10% of it. This post has been so helpful.

Many thanks.

Posted by Susanne | November 20, 2014, 7:39 am
  6. Great post!Can Scrivener be used to make boxed sets in the same way? That’s something I really need help with! Do you teach that in your class or have a guide for that? Thanks!

Posted by Marianne | November 21, 2014, 4:22 pm
    • Hey Marianne,

Yes, you can. I’d start by creating one of the 3-D looking cover images that seem so popular with box sets these days. Something like you see here:

or

or if you prefer you could go for the collage look like:

Then I’d use that as the main cover in the front matter. Make sure people know they are getting a boxed set and not just one of your books.

In the Scrivener binder, in the Manuscript section, I would have a folder for each book and then in the book folder, have your chapters/scenes. The only thing you’ll have to play with is the Formatting compile settings. That’s how you can tell it to do a title page for each book say.

Something I didn’t address in my article that you should look at also is how to link to bookmarks. I would at the very least create a table of contents with links to each of the series books. If you want to also add links to the chapters in the books, that might be a nice touch but not all fiction authors provide chapter links.

Cheers.

Posted by Pat Haggerty | November 23, 2014, 11:43 pm
  7. when i compiled in ebook and mobi my book on the viewer showed gaps between different segments within a chapter. I used many individual sections while writing but didn’t intend there to be gaps between them in the chapter. how do i get rid of the gaps?

Posted by chris | February 22, 2015, 12:29 am
    • Hey Chris,

That’s a setting in your compile settings. I only have my Mac in front of me right now and on the mac it’s in:
      File | Compile | Separators. The top one is the “Text Separator” and it specifies what should be inserted between two adjacent text documents. Set it to Single Return and see if that does it for you.

Cheers.

Posted by Pat Haggerty | February 23, 2015, 10:22 am
  8. Pat has really only talked about the pros of using Scrivener for converting directly to Kindle. It’s great for producing EPUBS but not Kindle I’m afraid. I’m talking specifically about Windows vwesion of Scrivener here.

Here is the downside of using the Windows version of Scrivener to produce a Kindle mobi.

* You can’t insert the Go To guides in the Scrivener doc because there is no facility for inserting bookmarks(Yes I know the Mac version does have bookmark capability — but not the Windows version). So the guides in the Kindle Go To menu will not work.

* Scrivener only produces a TOC on compile where the Kindle Nav Menu TOC is always exactly the same as the Kindle doc TOC. And you have no control over this because Scrivener produces a TOC entry by page breaks only. So the Kindle Nav Menu TOC and your Kindle doc TOC will also have the same entries for Copyright, Colophony, Dedication, Acknowledgements in these TOCs. Not very professional or good TOCs in other words.

Scrivener is certainly good for producing a good EPUB but will only ever give you a low quality Kindle because of these ongoing problems with the Widows version of Scrivener.

That’s why I would never use Scrivener to produce a Kindle mobi. You get a low quality Kindle which is just not good enough.

Posted by Bill Jencks | July 9, 2015, 4:52 am
  9. I just wanted to say thank you for this! It’s a year later, but the post is still extremely useful!

Posted by Jamie | November 30, 2015, 6:34 am
  10. Great stuff. This is still helping people today. Thanks buddy!

Posted by Tony Ortiz | December 19, 2015, 11:14 pm
  11. Super helpful stuff here, Pat! Thanks so much!

How would suggest handling a preface or introduction? I’d like to use chapter numbers for the rest of the chapters, but I don’t want the introduction to be “as-is” material. I’d appreciate any input you may have!

Thanks!

Posted by Dan | March 1, 2016, 9:23 pm
    • I found my solution, so I thought I’d post it here as an update 🙂

Go to Title Adjustments > “Do not add title prefix or suffix to documents:” and select Introduction.

This allows me to have the title “Introduction” formatted like the chapter materials, but without the “Chapter One” prefix. 🙂

Posted by Dan | March 2, 2016, 3:22 pm
  12. Thank you for this information. I have been trying to compile for .mobbi and cannot get the block quote to remain a block. The text formatting (itallics) works, but the paragraph does not stay blocked.

I’ve spent hours trying to resolve this issue. I am using a PC and Scrivener Version 1.9.0.0-06-Oct 2015

Can you help me?

Posted by Jane V. Blanchard | March 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
  13. I would like to create a TOC that has subheadings in my Kindle Doc. Can you help?

Thanks!

David

Posted by David | May 19, 2016, 5:45 pm
  14. I had to submit a comment to say “THANK YOU!!!”
    I am probably one of the world’s worst digitally challenged individuals, and Scrivener has been a massive challenge for me, especially the compile function. Your’s is the only source I found after scouring the web for help that actually assumes a user doesn’t know everything, and you hand hold your reader step by step in such a way that it is thoroughly understandable. I have bookmarked your page here, and will consider it my bible for compiling. Thanks again. You’re a treasure!

Posted by Michael Murphy | May 25, 2016, 4:26 am
  15. I have it in mind to do a book with just pictures, no text. Am I able to do that?

Posted by Skip Murray | September 16, 2016, 5:02 pm
  16. So, this was very helpful, Pat. Still, how do you upload your mobi file from Scrivener to Kindle?

I’m still not quite sure on how to do this.

Thank you.

Best,
    Joss

Posted by joss Landry | October 12, 2016, 12:59 pm
  17. Hi, this has been super useful, thanks
    I’m still struggling with one issue though. On the kindle previewer all the pages in my book show my book title as a header. I’m guessing it comes from the metadata settings, but I’m not allowed to delete it there.

During the compile process for a mobi file , I can’t find a place to ask for no headers (it is possible in the compile settings for pdf, though).

Any help on this is much appreciated!

Posted by Maria | December 6, 2016, 5:21 am
  18. Excellent resource! Thank you for your thorough tutorial.
    I was wondering do you know how to specify, “where to start reading” for an epub – before compiling?

Posted by Nlee | March 14, 2017, 10:50 pm

1. […] Publishing from Scrivener to Kindle tutorial is an example of Romance University’s general writing reference articles. I hear […]

2. […] Haggerty presents Publishing From Scrivener to Kindle posted at Romance […]