You might have heard all the buzz about the KindleWorlds last year. There was great discussion amongst the author community about what amounts to a fan fiction portal sponsored through Amazon for “worlds” licensed by particular authors. In the romance world the authors include: Bella Andre, H.M.Ward and Carly Phillips.
When the announcement was made I was interested – I started my “practice” writing in the Roswell fan fiction community. I had a wonderful experience finding my voice and honing my craft while having some of the most fun of my life. But, deadlines and family things kept me from participating right away. But, when Carly Phillips emailed me and asked me to be one of the launch authors for her DARE TO LOVE world, I took a serious look at my calendar and then I said yes.
For me, the decision was based on upon several different factors:
1. Taking my favorites and making them my own: Carly’s world rules offered large amounts of creative freedom to her authors. I could use elements in her world and then expand them to suit my story. This was what I loved most about fan fiction: I could take my favorite parts of my fave worlds and make it all my own.
2. Familiarity with the subgenre: I am not brave enough to tackle a space opera but I’m all over a contemporary romance with a hight heat level. So, joining Carly’s world was not that huge a leap for me. Maybe next time I will take on the space opera.
3. Creative freedom: Oh man. Since this was a book totally unconnected to my other ones, I could do whatever I wanted. I found myself pushing limits, taking chances, and literally going for it on the page. It was like playing – it was like the halcyon days in the fan fiction forum all over again. I loved it.
4. I love Carly Phillips: I was a fan first. I love her books and have for a long time. And then I got the ultimate gift of becoming her friend and having her in my life as a mentor and a guide. So – heck yeah – I wanted to do something this exciting with her.
Those are my reasons and yours might be the same or completely different. So, I decided to ask the other launch authors about why they agreed to play in Carly’s world:
“I’ve been a Carly Phillips fan for a long time. Being given the opportunity to write in her DARE world was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up! I had a great time hanging out with Alex Dare and his friend, Jon Ridgeway, as Jon worked through his happily-ever-after with Becca Irving.”- Alannah Lynne
“I did it because Carly asked. How do you say no to her? Have you met her? She’s super cute and persuasive and she writes amazing books. So yeah, I fangirled more than a bit. Then, I thought about it from a business perspective and it was a great opportunity to reach a new audience and be among some amazing authors. It was a win-win for me.” – Avery Flynn
“Carly and I have been friends for many years, and I adore her books. Having the chance to take one of her secondary characters–who was definitely not hero material–and turn him into a hero, was a challenge I couldn’t resist. It was a great creative exercise as a writer, and I’m always up for a trying something new. I was thrilled to be asked, and am so happy I said yes because I absolutely love the man Marcus “Big” Bigsby became.” – Leslie Kelley
“I loved the idea of working on a project not only with super nice and talented Carly Phillips, but all the other amazing authors! Creative fun and a chance to meet new readers!” Kelly Jamieson
“Working in another author’s world like this–especially Carly’s– is so much fun. I was thrilled when I was asked to write for her. And, the other author launching this world…such amazing company to be in!” – Marquita Valentine
“I did a bundle with Carly, as well as another Kindle World together, and fell in love with her! When she asked me to join the group of authors launching her own world, I was thrilled to sign up.” – Allie K. Adams
So, the overall theme is that you need to pick a world that you already love and jump on on.
So – have you considered KindleWorlds? Do you write fan fiction? What would be the reason you took the plunge?
JoAnne Myers joins us on Friday, January 23rd, to add a little mystery with our romance.
If you want to check out the DARE TO LOVE world or learn more about KindleWorlds click here.
- Contemporary Romance – Hot? Not?
- Hooray for Hollywood: Book Launch Party with Robin Covington
- It’s a Release Party for Robin Covington – His Southern Temptation
- Congratulations to RU’s Robin Covington on Her Sale!!
- Setting Goals For Your Writing by Andrew Grey