Posted On June 19, 2015 by Print This Post

Family First by Author Susan Sey

Touch of Trouble finalI’ve been thinking about family lately.

Mind you, this is nothing new. I like to think about family. I like to write about family, too. There’s a lot of good stuff in there–romance, conflict, tragedy, triumph, love and compromise. And I know what I’m talking about, too, as I just spent a week sleeping in my childhood bed.

You see, it’s summer here in the upper Midwest, which is when everybody who lives more than a few hours from their childhood home drags the whole family to grandma’s house so the cousins can get to know each other. We call it Cousin Camp. And I have just survived it.

Okay, survived is perhaps too strong a word. I had a wonderful time. My sisters are my favorite people in the world. We all burst into song without warning, nobody’s better with a dirty joke, and they know exactly when to open the wine.   These are excellent qualities in siblings.

Talent for Trouble final frontBut aside from that? We’re all so different it’s sometimes hard to believe we were all fished out of the same gene pool. And when you put all four of us (along with our husbands, kids, pets, laundry, etc.) into one house for 7-10 days? The peace is seriously threatened.

By the time Cousin Camp is over, we’re all usually pretty ready to retreat to our separate corners. (There’s a reason I live a 12-hour car ride from my family.) But some people thrive on that kind of closeness. Some people absolutely require it. For example, I know a woman who, as a young married, considered buying a house on the other side of city from her mother–I’m talking a 30 minute drive, mind you–and her Taste for Trouble final front onlymom didn’t speak to her for six weeks. (“It’s just so FAR AWAY. Why don’t you love me?”)

I’m fascinated by this. And what I’m fascinated by usually finds its way into my writing.

My Blake brothers, for example, have a very singular commitment to family. When the trilogy opens, family is the most important thing in their lives (which is not, I understand, very common among 20-something men.) They’re still just as committed when the trilogy ends, but how they define family has changed radically. It’s expanded, morphed and grown into something very different. No less important but different. And why?

Well, love. Love changes everything. And the love you have for your brother is different from the love you have for your wife. (As it should be.) Love changes you. It’s transformative. You’re not the same guy you Time for Trouble finalused to be. But you have the same life, the same family and the same obligations as before, and somehow you’re supposed to make everybody happy. But how?

It’s a complicated question. As all good questions are. And I just love watching my characters try to answer it.

So tell me, do you like reading about families? What’s your favorite fictional family to spend time with, and why do you love them? Leave me a comment and you’re eligible to win the book of your choice (Kindle or print) from my Blake brothers trilogy!

www.susansey.com

Amazon Author page

Join us on Monday for author Robin Gianna!

Bio:

Susan Sey at Romance UniversityOnce upon a time Susan Sey was a software trainer with nice clothes and free time, but now she has kids. She lives with them and her incredibly patient husband in St. Paul, MN, where she produces smart, sexy contemporary romances on an annual basis. She loves ice cream, her family and happy endings, though not necessarily in that order. She does not enjoy laundry, failure or mowing the lawn, but rises to the occasion as necessary.

Motivation

10 Responses to “Family First by Author Susan Sey”

1. Thanks so much for having me on Romance University today! I’m looking forward to hearing about everybody’s favorite fictional families!

Posted by Susan Sey | June 19, 2015, 8:27 am
  2. Morning Susan!

Thanks so much for being with us again…looking forward to finishing your Blake Brothers series!

One of my favorite fictional families is the Montgomery’s by Jude Deveraux. I’ve followed them for generations! If any of her books had Montgomery written on the back cover blurb, it was MINE.

Then there was Johanna Lindsey with the Malory family. I followed all the brothers, their children, nieces and nephews, reading each one and feeling a bit smug that I knew everyone at the Malory family get togethers. =)

Your Cousin Camp sounds like a blast!

=)

Posted by Carrie Spencer | June 19, 2015, 9:34 am
    • Oh, I love all of those families! I would also add Mary Balogh’s Bedwyn’s. Man, I loved those books. Ate them up. And I loved that she saved the inscrutable eldest brother for last. By the time we got to his story we were so desperate to peek behind the curtain. At least I was. 🙂

Posted by Susan Sey | June 19, 2015, 9:48 am
  3. I haven’t yet read any of your books, Susan. Now on my TBR list!!

My all-time favourite family is the Bedwyn family (Mary Balogh). Although the Sullivans with Bella Andre are another group I enjoy.

I also like how Robyn Carr has developed “community” which makes a sense of family for some of the unhappy souls who find their way to Virgin River or Thunder Point.

Looking forward to reading more about families – mine wasn’t so great, so I love reading about others!

Posted by Celia Lewis | June 19, 2015, 10:50 am
    • Hi, Celia–

Isn’t it funny how we all — happy childhoods or not — find our way to family? I love Robyn Carr’s Virgin River community, too! I haven’t explored Bella Andre’s Sullivans yet but they’re on my list!

And just a heads-up…my first self-pubbed novel KISS THE GIRL will be going free on Amazon tomorrow (Saturday.) If you’re looking to try me out free of risk (and charge!) you could give it a whirl! Would love to hear what you think!

Posted by Susan Sey | June 19, 2015, 11:06 am
  4. Thanks so much for posting with us Susan! It was wonderful having you back!

Posted by Carrie Spencer | June 19, 2015, 11:20 pm
  5. Received this via email..

Hey Susan-
    I love family as well but mine sadly to say, has a lot of problems. My husband and I are both from dysfunctional families and we constantly are trying to overcome that in our own family.
    I’m also a writer. I write contemporary romantic suspense. I’m doing a series about an Irish family who are royal or would be if Ireland still had titles. The main character is the “crown prince” and has a lot of problems from a self-destructive past and wants no part of his royal bloodlines. His family are all very close and they’re all in a family business together and live on a racehorse training facility.
    the relationships are complicated but they all love one another very much.
    I can’t wait to get into your trilogy of the Blake brothers. I love brother trilogies and have read many.

Thanks for your insights on family.

Carol(Jean Carroll)

Posted by Carrie Spencer | June 20, 2015, 1:41 pm
  6. Susan – I’m so sorry I missed your visit! I was on the road Friday, en route to a wedding and I’m only just getting caught up now. Thanks for a great post – I just remembered to go check for your latest release. I’d hate to miss one of your books!

Posted by Becke Martin Davis | June 25, 2015, 12:22 am
  7. Thanks for the lovely article, Susan!
    My favorite book family is Spaulidings from “Dandelion Wine”.

Posted by Pimion | July 12, 2015, 2:01 pm